Enroute Map and Non-Radar Problems

gablephillip

Trusted Member
Oct 18, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Don't stress about the map until you get to the academy. They give you like 2 hours a day while you're in class to study it. Everyone in my class had it down in like 3 days.

Worry more about putting lines through the middle of your Z's. Or focus on getting in the habit of saying "niner" and "tree".
Don't forget about "fife."

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
Not sure how much of this was true, but one of the instructors told us some FAA evaluators would dock you points for every 2 that you looped....if that makes sense. I guess "true ATC" 2's aren't supposed to have loops in them?

I used to "loop" the lower left hand corner of my 2, I just wrote it in one fluid motion. I made a conscious effort to make them without the loop though, kind of like a "Z" with the top a little curved so you could tell the difference between a Z and a 2. lol Still do it that way...weird to change something you've been ding your whole life!

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
Not sure how much of this was true, but one of the instructors told us some FAA evaluators would dock you points for every 2 that you looped....if that makes sense. I guess "true ATC" 2's aren't supposed to have loops in them?

I used to "loop" the lower left hand corner of my 2, I just wrote it in one fluid motion. I made a conscious effort to make them without the loop though, kind of like a "Z" with the top a little curved so you could tell the difference between a Z and a 2. lol Still do it that way...weird to change something you've been ding your whole life!
If you look in the 7110.65 there is a set way to write all letters and numbers. Whether or not they actually deduct points, I cant say

ZLANCT

Newcomer
Dec 11, 2013
OK! I found 30 sets of non radar strips. I am not sure if they are all the same or different I really dont care to look through them all. I have it saved as a .zip file and if anyone would like it please message me.
Do you still have the zip file with the 30 sets of non radar strips?
I know it's been a long time since this post but I would love to get a copy.
Thanks

Mollie35

Newcomer
Apr 15, 2014
Can someone tell me what will I have to learn from the map and is it difficult? Or some basic study stuff?

fly747

Jun 18, 2008
Anyone have a strip-marking study guide for non radar and radar? I want to be as prepared as possible! Thanks.

N813JB

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2010
Very true, there is zero leg-up work you can do prior to starting OKC. Just relax and enjoy your free time while you have it. OKC sucks, and there is nothing worse than being bored in OKC because you decided to memorize the map, strip marking, etc. before hand.