ERAU-DB Fall '09

The Fold

Transmitting in the Blind
Apr 15, 2009
Florida
If any of you unlucky fellows chose Riddle (Daytona) for your CTI school this fall, drop me a PM and I'll tell you the ins & outs of Riddle.

I was of course, only kidding about being unlucky. Broke is the more appropriate term.

:)

berub9a2

Rookie
Jul 8, 2009
im going into my senior year at riddle...

looking back at it wow, i cant belive how much money this place costs.

this education better be worth it.........

otterstrom

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
of NATCA
im going into my senior year at riddle...

looking back at it wow, i cant belive how much money this place costs.

this education better be worth it.........
youll show up to the academy only as an equal of someone who isnt even 21 yet and who has almost no student loans. thats how it goes with ATC.

jigga1673

Newcomer
Dec 29, 2008
I'm attending currently as a sophomore/junior in ERAU... Thinking of graduating by 2011... The school and education is worth it IMO but u can get into ATC career by going to a cheaper school... I wasn't quiet smart a year ago lol

The Fold

Transmitting in the Blind
Apr 15, 2009
Florida
I just got your PM, and now I read this. Honestly, there are some ways to "make it cheaper" by being involved in divisions, it can be fun and you'll get paid for it. So that sorta helps. I wouldn't go to school here to be an ATC Major though. What would you do if you can't get a job at the FAA? Now your degree is fairly useless. I majored in Aeronautics, which helps... atleast I have more options. If the FAA doesn't work out, I can always go be a pilot, or meteorologist, or anything else that falls under "Aeronautics." Oh well, thats part of my two cents.

I know three new guys going to ERAU this fall, all three want to be controllers and are majoring in Aeronautical Science. WTF. That's not right.

Oh well.

Its a good school. I love the teachers, what they teach, the simulators, the people. But the money sucks.

Mar 28, 2009
"THE" Lone-Star State
Yep - Graduated this past December and my loans are thru the roof!! Should have went a cheaper route.. But - I have a degree in Aeronautics like you; but I don't think it counts for shi#, unless you have previous experience in some aviation-related field. I can't land an aviation job to save my life right now... Hurry up FAA! lol

sKwish

Rookie
Apr 25, 2009
I graduated back in 2006 and I HATE ERAU!! I wish they would call me back as a guest speaker to the students. I'd have 1/2 of the ATC majors ready to drop out :usflag:

Whirlybird19

Chief Editor
Nov 22, 2008
Phoenix
I can?t really speak from the undergraduate side of things, but I really enjoyed the masters program there. I didn?t decide on ATC until after I finished my undergrad degree from Arizona State. At the time, ERAU was the only CTI school out of 13 that offered the CTI program in conjunction with a Masters Degree. So for my situation it was perfect. Also, it is in a pretty cool location. Living in Daytona for 2 years gave me the opportunity to do some stuff I wouldn?t have otherwise been able to do. My advice is, if you going to college for CTI look at other places. But make sure they have radar and other sims. Now that there are plenty of CTI schools to choose from throughout the country, ERAU doesn?t stand out as much. But they do have some pretty cool things to play with! Cost is high, but so are all the other private aviation universities.

If your hoping to find lots of hot chicks. ERAU is not for you. The ratio is like 12-1 or something redonkulous like that. If you looking for hot chicks, Arizona State all the way!

Zeppelinpilot

Rookie
May 20, 2009
Yep - Graduated this past December and my loans are thru the roof!! Should have went a cheaper route.. But - I have a degree in Aeronautics like you; but I don't think it counts for shi#, unless you have previous experience in some aviation-related field. I can't land an aviation job to save my life right now... Hurry up FAA! lol
Where are you located? Are you looking around the Nation for aviation jobs? I found a job pretty quick with a Riddle Undergrad degree. Airport Operations.

Mar 28, 2009
"THE" Lone-Star State
Located about an hour east of Dallas. I'm not willing to relocate.. It's not cost-effective since I'll be going ATC soon (just waiting on Medical and Background to go through).

And I've applied for every Aviation job in this surrounding area.. not one call back. I've applied for RPO spots at Ft. Worth and at the academy through Raytheon and was turned down!! I have no idea why either... Degree from ERAU plus six years USAF... you would think these employers would be all over me. Maybe my resume sucks.. lol

cmac88

Rookie
Nov 8, 2009
ZFW
I graduated back in 2006 and I HATE ERAU!! I wish they would call me back as a guest speaker to the students. I'd have 1/2 of the ATC majors ready to drop out :usflag:
Thats when I started.... I wish you would've given a speech to... haha

cmac88

Rookie
Nov 8, 2009
ZFW
If your hoping to find lots of hot chicks. ERAU is not for you. The ratio is like 12-1 or something redonkulous like that. If you looking for hot chicks, Arizona State all the way!
Not to mention the 3 girls here that actually are attractive end up being pretty slutty becuase of that ratio..... there heads get way to big ;)

xVVatc

Newcomer
Jun 10, 2009
DC
The top pick for the FAA is prior military experience. Go join a branch with ATC, get paid to learn how to vector aircraft, serve your country in the military for 4 years, then serve another 30 in the FAA, retire at 55 and not have to work. Sounds like a good plan to me.

BoneR_ERAU

Newcomer
Jan 7, 2010
Daytona Beach, FL
The top pick for the FAA is prior military experience. Go join a branch with ATC, get paid to learn how to vector aircraft, serve your country in the military for 4 years, then serve another 30 in the FAA, retire at 55 and not have to work. Sounds like a good plan to me.
The FAA really likes prior service members who also have a degree. Also, Riddle isn't a bad school. I find that the people who can't afford it are often the only individuals complaining. You're going to be hard-pressed to find another school that has professors with 25+ years of experience teaching classes (every professor). For those of you that are deciding between a CTI school and the military, go military. Get paid to play while gaining education benefits for use later.

Last edited:

FALCON

May 7, 2009
Alaska
ERAU is definitely NOT worth the six figure loans you'll have when you graduate regardless of your major. If you want to do ATC there are way cheaper ways to go about it. The quality of the education isn't really what you'd expect for the price.

BoneR_ERAU

Newcomer
Jan 7, 2010
Daytona Beach, FL
ERAU is definitely NOT worth the six figure loans you'll have when you graduate regardless of your major. If you want to do ATC there are way cheaper ways to go about it. The quality of the education isn't really what you'd expect for the price.
Well some people don't have loans to worry with. The only reason you guys complain about the school so much is because you take out a shit ton of money and have to pay it back. Yea that does suck but ultimately you chose that route so deal with it. Don't piss on Embry-Riddle for those reasons. The quality of the education you get is f u c k i n g AWESOME. How many CTI schools have ATC professors with 25+ years in industry. The answer is very few. 95% of ATC grads dominate the FAA test right out of the door too. Remember, rich kids and military go here and those people don't pay shit for their education. I can't believe you would make such an ignorant comment. Did you even go to Riddle?