ERR Facilities for Developmentals

cali

Mar 29, 2015
I'm currently at a center and have been there for a year now. My training is going extremely slow and I'm thinking there might be a possibility of washing out as well. Instead of possibly washing out and hoping to get picked up by the NEST, I'd rather submit a few ERR's incase I do wash out, I won't have to sit around for 6+ months waiting on the NEST and wasting both the FAAs and my time. Not to mention, that any lower level facilites that are undermanned, are obvious canidates for the NEST to send people so it just makes sense to try and ERR to those facilites first, versus going to the NEST and playing the wait game. Does anyone know of any facilities that are currently willing to accept an ERR from a developmental? I have prior military and civilian contract experience with a few CTOs. Also, before anyone says no one with take an ERR from a developmental, I've already talked with a few NATCA reps and it has been done, but nobody really thinks of doing it until they're practically in the NEST, at which point it's too late. Anyways, I appreciate it!

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10
I've heard Islip, Beaumont, Traverse City, Nantucket. Have a friend that washed out and he was offered some of those facilities.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
The problem with an ERR is that it will be common knowledge almost immediately, and your training team's motivation to work with you goes to zero. Why bother, if you'll be gone the second you can be, to go literally anywhere else?

There are a lot of things I would do before an ERR, including a sit-down with your rep to ask his honest opinion about how you're doing, and whether a new training team would make a difference. If you're going to submit an ERR, be sure that it's to a location that will be in a position to pull a list from Region immediately.

Homsar

Rookie
Jun 23, 2014
As a counterpoint to lowapproach...I was in a bad training situation in a 6 up/down, had gotten through local but was struggling on radar in a bad training environment. My FacRep and my management both encouraged me to see the training program through and NOT pursue ERRs ("That's what the NEST is for," were my old ATM's words, which I never forgot).

I ignored this advice, and put out many ERRs to VFR towers (I was denied a transfer to a 6 up/down after they selected me, they didn't want a radar trainee ERRing to an up/down). Got picked up at a level 6, and made CPC in a few months. The crew here was very surprised by the attitude management/NATCA had at the old facility because they don't necessarily discourage ERRs for struggling trainees in this region, nowhere near my previous facility did.

It was the best decision of my career (so far), and if you don't mind a move to an area you might not like when putting your career first, I'd say do it.

LimaRomeo

Jun 20, 2011
Who has more say in allowing a developmental to transfer, the receiving or current facility? My impression is that if you find a facility that will take you, your current facility can't deny it, but this seems wrong. I wouldn't qualify for a hardship, but my wife and kids aren't adapting to the cross country move very well. I'll have all my d sides by the end of the year, and would be trying to err as a D2. Also, is it entirely up to the recieving ATM (and/or fac rep), or do they have to go in order by the points on the err paperwork? I don't want to go to my Union yet, I'm not entirely sure I want to try to err, and I don't want to start the rumor mill while I'm actively training.

KSDL

Rookie
Mar 23, 2015
Who has more say in allowing a developmental to transfer, the receiving or current facility? My impression is that if you find a facility that will take you, your current facility can't deny it, but this seems wrong. I wouldn't qualify for a hardship, but my wife and kids aren't adapting to the cross country move very well. I'll have all my d sides by the end of the year, and would be trying to err as a D2. Also, is it entirely up to the recieving ATM (and/or fac rep), or do they have to go in order by the points on the err paperwork? I don't want to go to my Union yet, I'm not entirely sure I want to try to err, and I don't want to start the rumor mill while I'm actively training.
The ERR process is one that the selecting manager doesn't have to justify taking one person over another. Points don't matter.
As far as releasing you.... that is 100% up to the losing manager.

LimaRomeo

Jun 20, 2011
The ERR process is one that the selecting manager doesn't have to justify taking one person over another. Points don't matter.
As far as releasing you.... that is 100% up to the losing manager.
Thanks for the info. And just for clarification, is it the losing managers descretion on when to release you, or can they flat out deny it?