ERR or Hard ship... what "looks" better

Atccas

Newcomer
Oct 2, 2012
Hey All,
Im currently in training at my first facility. When I get CPC AND my first full year completed Im going to want to transfer to a different facility to be closer to my Fiancee. Im curious as to how people "look" at Hard ship transfers. If it is something that happens on a normal occasion and is not really looked down on, or if it is out of the ordinary and frowned upon. Thanks for the help.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
its not frowned upon imo, my buddy just did one. I mean if there is legit reasons for one, no one is gonna look down on you while your mother is dying of cancer.

And as far as ERR, ur current facility might not like it, but your new facility loves ERR's, cause in their eyes you WANT to be there.... and that is the kind of employee they want

Doug Church

Director of Communications
Sep 8, 2009
Washington, D.C.
www.natca.org
I do not believe that wanting to move to be closer to your fiancee would qualify as a hardship transfer. Hardship transfers mostly involve medical conditions or children in different locations. Please consult the Red Book contract for the full explanation of what constitutes a hardship transfer and I URGE you to contact your NATCA facility representative ASAP to have this discussion and learn as much as you can about what your options are.

Here's a link to the contract on the NATCA members website:

NATCA - Members Only

-Doug Church

shaba169

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2010
Hey All,
Im currently in training at my first facility. When I get CPC AND my first full year completed Im going to want to transfer to a different facility to be closer to my Fiancee. Im curious as to how people "look" at Hard ship transfers. If it is something that happens on a normal occasion and is not really looked down on, or if it is out of the ordinary and frowned upon. Thanks for the help.
And not that I'm saying its a good idea (only because it would mean your training would take even longer) you can ERR whenever you want, you don't need to be CPC, and you don't need to have one year as a CPC. Should you wait until your out of probation, yes absolutely. But I watched someone ERR out of ZOA as a trainee (not a washout) and go work at a tower down the street.

irishatc

Jun 20, 2008
What forms do you need for an ERR?
Since that guy won't help you, the whole process is explained verbatim in the contract. I don't have the contract handy, but it should be easy to find. It's just a few forms and a cover sheet. You also need your most recent sup eval. I would big time advise you to befriend the higher ups (yes, management AND NATCA) at your new facility.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
"That guy"?... Clearly you don't know who Doug church is. Show some respect.

Doug is telling him to read the contract because the contract tells him EXACTY what forms he needs. EXACTLY, CLEAR AS DAY.

His question tells me he has never opened the red book or asked his facrep the question. His local facrep should be able to help him with that easily, or even any senior controller for that matter.

Also like Doug said... Your reason for a hardship transfer isn't covered by the contract. You can definitely put in an ERR request and let your reason be know to that facility (management and NATCA) why you want to be there.

Art 42, Sec 6

ATCKA

Newcomer
Sep 17, 2009
Well said MIA. I'd respond more on this board in an effort to help out and give advice, but it seems it filled largely with "experts" like the above poster that have it all figured out.

"That guy"....

Try googling "That guy's" (Doug Church Natca) name and do some reading, you should probably pack a lunch.

Aside from "that guy's" status and accomplishments, he's also teaching the individual with the question to go through and trust his union, not rely on message board experts that know a guy that knows a guy who once had lunch with an air traffic controller.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
I'm fairly sure it was a joke... Tho if you read the majority of the posts in ask natca the answer is ask ur facrep... So there is a point of why is there this sub forum when the answer is ask your facrep

irishatc

Jun 20, 2008
"That guy"?... Clearly you don't know who Doug church is. Show some respect.

Doug is telling him to read the contract because the contract tells him EXACTY what forms he needs. EXACTLY, CLEAR AS DAY.

His question tells me he has never opened the red book or asked his facrep the question. His local facrep should be able to help him with that easily, or even any senior controller for that matter.

Also like Doug said... Your reason for a hardship transfer isn't covered by the contract. You can definitely put in an ERR request and let your reason be know to that facility (management and NATCA) why you want to be there.

Art 42, Sec 6
You're a touchy little fell aren't ya?