ERR Vs NEST

cali

Mar 29, 2015
I'm currently at a center and close to running out of hours on my first two D-sides, with the obvious possibility of washing out. My year probation period is up in about a month. I have a few prior CTO's and prior military. My question is, is it better to put in for an ERR and try to transfer to a lower lvl tower vs just actually washing out and going to the NEST? At the end of the day, I obviously want to stay with the FAA and I would hate for a lower lvl tower to want to pick me up but not put in for an ERR and then go to the NEST where I heard its out of the individual facility's hands at that point, and just being let go...thanks

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Nobody is going to pick you up off an ERR as a developmental, so put that out of your mind. It is possible for NEST to show you the door, but almost everyone washing out of a center is afforded some option by NEST. This would be especially true for a good employee with prior tower experience.

Center work may not be for you, but you want to show the TRB and your facility manager that you did everything you could. Talk to your area rep about your concerns - if he offers you an extension of hours, new trainers or both, take him up on it. If you haven't had skill enhancement training yet, ask your supervisor for some.

cali

Mar 29, 2015
Haven't talked to a rep yet but will.

The reason I mentioned ERR though was because I heard of a guy (so may or may not be 100% true) that talked to a few lower lvl facilities and found one that was willing to pick him up on an ERR but at that time he was already in the NEST and he was told that once he was in the NEST he could no longer put in an ERR for that facility even though they said they'd take him and then the NEST ended up just letting him go and out of the FAA. Obviously, I wouldn't want that to happen.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
This is something that could be its own thread, but I would like to remind trainees that they shouldn't feel that their representatives are not approachable just because NATCA can't represent a probationary employee in a formal setting. They can give advice, even if it's of the tough-love variety, and they can make things happen without filing a grievance, like changing a training team.

If you think you're struggling in training more than you should be, talk to a rep. That is why you pay dues.

Last edited:

cali

Mar 29, 2015
The reason I think a lower lvl tower would pick someone up in my position is because some of the lower lvl towers probably don't get many ERR requests which means they are pretty much just handed what the NEST gives them I assume, where as if I ERR the facility can know exactly who they'd be getting and what prior experience they have etc...

Homsar

Rookie
Jun 23, 2014
Nobody is going to pick you up off an ERR as a developmental, so put that out of your mind.
Completely false. I successfully ERR'd from a Level 6 up/down to a Level 6 VFR tower three months ago as a developmental through tower but training on radar. At least two of my coworkers did the same.

Don't expect to be able to ERR as a developmental to a high-level facility by any means, but start calling around to 6-and-below facilities and ask about their staffing if you're serious about ERRing out.

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
The ERR process recently changed. Under the new system they really don't care if you have become a CPC at the original facility. They may behind the scenes, but it hasn't affected a number of trainees I know who have succeeded in relocating with ERRs.

Imapilot

Rookie
Jul 29, 2011
Although there is nothing saying that once you are in the NEST process you can't apply for ERR's and BIDS's the District managers are stopping any of their managers from pickign anyone up in NEST status. If you think you may not get certified 100% try getting ERR's out there BEFORE your Supervisor stops your training.

Once you are suspended there is no getting off the NEST train.

oneatcer

Jun 17, 2008
TX
The biggest problem with picking up someone in training on an ERR, is that the receiving Manager has to write a letter of justification that goes to the Service Center for approval. Three points of advice: 1. Put in an ERR to a lower level, hard to staff facility. 2. Call the receiving Manager and really convince him/her you really want to go there, and can certify there. 3. Do it before your training is suspended or terminated and you go to the NEST.

mikefsfr

Epic Member
May 31, 2010
Train Me.
if you get picked up on a bid prior to becoming a training failure do you keep your half on the go raise?

No, you werent succesful the the higher level facility. You'd fall into what you were CPC with the adjuscted locality, within the band you're currently at.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Nobody is going to pick you up off an ERR as a developmental, so put that out of your mind. It is possible for NEST to show you the door, but almost everyone washing out of a center is afforded some option by NEST. This would be especially true for a good employee with prior tower experience.

Center work may not be for you, but you want to show the TRB and your facility manager that you did everything you could. Talk to your area rep about your concerns - if he offers you an extension of hours, new trainers or both, take him up on it. If you haven't had skill enhancement training yet, ask your supervisor for some.
Unless you're at Minneapolis center. An entire class washed in the lab and all got fired. Supposedly their ATM won't send anyone to the NEST who doesn't make it out of the lab. Per my friend who was one of the unfortunate.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Unless you're at Minneapolis center. An entire class washed in the lab and all got fired. Supposedly their ATM won't send anyone to the NEST who doesn't make it out of the lab. Per my friend who was one of the unfortunate.
An entire class washed in the lab?

SnoopDog

Jun 11, 2012

Sounds fishy. Managers do not have an option of whom they can send to the nest or not. More then likely the employees went to trb then the manager recommended termination to the nest whom concurred.