ERRs

ATCMarine84

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2009
Home of the Packers!!
Hey everyone,

First, congrats to all the new people that recently got their TOLs. That's great stuff. Now, I didn't find any thread on the ERR topic so if I missed it I apologize. I just wanted to see or hear anybody else's ERR stories or experience. I'm personally starting to get frustrated with not having received even a phone call of interest about any of the places I've put in for. I know this stuff takes time and not a whole lot of movement has been going on but I'm sure I'm not the only one a little frustrated. I was recently informed that the FAA is going to start addressing all the ERRs out there because of this huge hiring wave happening. "get the controllers where they want to be, then back fill" is the story I got. Again, just thought I'd start a thread for other ERR submitters. Good or bad

BravoJulietATC

Newcomer
Jan 24, 2014
So the FAA is going to address ERRs for current controllers because of the wave of new hires? Or am I misunderstanding you?

BravoJulietATC

Newcomer
Jan 24, 2014
Thats awesome news then, lol. Ive submitted my paperwork and would love a release date thats not 2 years out. Hopefully this wave will help that.

eagetal96

Feb 9, 2009
I have heard the same thing, I am in the same boat as you OP, ERRing for 2 yrs and nothing.

Eman1193

Jan 9, 2011
Your not just erring and being done with it are you ? You need to sell yourself to the facility. Take a tour of the place your erring too, meet the natca rep at the facility, find out if anyone you know has connections to anyone who works there etc...

mikefsfr

Epic Member
May 31, 2010
Train Me.
I think facilities are gearing up to hire. Two facilities I am interested in are picking up 6 and 4 this week, and i have had a few other facilities called to verify my application

BravoJulietATC

Newcomer
Jan 24, 2014
Your not just erring and being done with it are you ? You need to sell yourself to the facility. Take a tour of the place your erring too, meet the natca rep at the facility, find out if anyone you know has connections to anyone who works there etc...
This is my plan, for sure. Im going to all 4 facilities in March to put a face to the bid. I'll do whatever I have to do to make sure they consider me.

ATCMarine84

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2009
Home of the Packers!!
Have called frequently and toured all facilities I've erred to

ATCMarine84

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2009
Home of the Packers!!
I call and ask for the manager and if they're not around I just say My name, I'm very interested in working there, I recently put in an ERR and was wondering if you guys are looking for people at all or if you'd be willing to let me know any information about your facility. Everyone I've ever talked to is nice and always tells me about the facility or the area. When I call back I make sure to talk to the manager and make it quick and to the point. Letting them know I'm so and so who toured duringm this time and just wanted to let you know I would still really like to have te opportunity to work there.

jdatc624

Dec 30, 2010
Center/center/tracon
www.youtube.com

I have been been picked up on an ERR without ever talking to anyone at the facility, though I did email the NATCA president there and not get a response. And the time frame was less than a year. From when I first put it in my ERR.

However, I had already been picked up where I wanted to be, as they were my second choice. it's funny they kept calling and asking when I was going to show up and my new facility kept asking me if I wanted to leave, haha!

_j

ATCMarine84

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2009
Home of the Packers!!
I have been been picked up on an ERR without ever talking to anyone at the facility, though I did email the NATCA president there and not get a response. And the time frame was less than a year. From when I first put it in my ERR.

However, I had already been picked up where I wanted to be, as they were my second choice. it's funny they kept calling and asking when I was going to show up and my new facility kept asking me if I wanted to leave, haha!

_j
You're one of the few jdatc from what I understand. I have a good friend that put in a couple ERRs and was picked up and gone in 3 months. Timing is everything I suppose but I know there a lot of us out there submitting ERRs and a lot of people retiring. I have 5 in ranging from having them in for over a year to a couple months and what's tough is seeing all the talk about the new hires getting sent to places I or people I know have err'ed to. Zero logic. However I think that's where the HR and the actually facilities are disconnected.

airkiwi

Sep 28, 2008
It's all about the staffing numbers at the facility you want to go to. For somewhere that's 'under-staffed' - they pull the list (the facility has to get approval from the region to pull an ERR list to 'grab someone'). If you have an ERR for somewhere considered to be near-even or over-staffed, your ERR chances are much lower, regardless if you've been waiting a year or more and regardless of whether you have a great relationship with the ATM or NATCA FacRep.

Here at ZJX, they've picked up on average 1 CPC transfer every 6 months. Currently we are considered by the FAA to be overstaffed.

harv

Jun 15, 2008
I agree with you on the disconnect with HR and the facilities. Down here in the paradise district (central and south FL) the district manager was trying to get ERRs for the mid-level facilities (8-9) by taking local transfers from lower level facilities. Next thing we know, HR has assigned new hires to those facilities.

RFDATM

Trusted Contributor
Nov 27, 2009
IL
HR does not assign anyone anywhere without ATO approval. Hence, either the District Manager or Service Director approved these new hires in leu of opening a register for CPC-ITs/ERRs.

ATCMarine84

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2009
Home of the Packers!!
You guys want to bring me up to speed as to why an SD or DM would do that. Is it a cost thing? I don't know where you guys are at at but you can look anywhere on here and see people trying to move up and get to the mid level 8 and 9 facilities with no luck then you read a month later about some new hire going there. It's frustrating of course for those of us trying to move up I'm just trying to understand the logic. Logic and and government may not go together I get that

harv

Jun 15, 2008
I think the service area gets allotted so many trainees. They only see staffing numbers and CPC to trainee ratios. The district managers don't have much say in weather they get new hires or not. The facility manager is just told that they are getting a new hire, whether they want them or not.

ATController1

Rookie
Mar 10, 2010
CPC here... How long does it typically take from getting a Tentative Offer letter, to receiving a Firm Offer letter from HR? What is happening in the meantime?