Experience Bid Starting Pay

SckATC

Newcomer
Feb 27, 2017
I just got my facility from the experience bid with a start date. I just assumed I’d be starting at the lowest pay band making like 48k or whatever it is. Moving a family of 5 to another state making that would be tough. Even with the GI bill. However, now I’m hearing from a couple controllers at the facility that I’m going to, that they started at around 75K during training, with the GI bill on top of that. This would be new, and good news to me. I was told one of them kept his salary from the contract tower he came from, and the other said they just started at D2 (since there is no D1), with 10% CIP. I’m also coming from 10 years navy, then 5 contract. I apologize if there is alreadyy a thread explaining this. If so, if anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I just got my facility from the experience bid with a start date. I just assumed I’d be starting at the lowest pay band making like 48k or whatever it is. Moving a family of 5 to another state making that would be tough. Even with the GI bill. However, now I’m hearing from a couple controllers at the facility that I’m going to, that they started at around 75K during training, with the GI bill on top of that. This would be new, and good news to me. I was told one of them kept his salary from the contract tower he came from, and the other said they just started at D2 (since there is no D1), with 10% CIP. I’m also coming from 10 years navy, then 5 contract. I apologize if there is alreadyy a thread explaining this. If so, if anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
You will start at D2. That guy who said he kept his contract salary is wrong, (unless he meant DoD).

odotsal

Rookie
Jan 28, 2015
You will start at the lowest developmental band available at the facility. If there’s no D1, then you’re salary will start at D2.

A1T2C3

Rookie
Jun 25, 2015
Your fact sheet will say xC though. So don’t get confused like I did. Your pay starts at the lowest developmental band, but your grade starts at xC.

SckATC

Newcomer
Feb 27, 2017
Your fact sheet will say xC though. So don’t get confused like I did. Your pay starts at the lowest developmental band, but your grade starts at xC.
What does this mean? I see the XC in the paychart, but how can u start at D2, and be a XC? I was picked up on the August 2016 bid and just now getting my start date. I guess what I’m asking is, what’s the difference between starting pay, and “grade”?

dominipino

Mar 27, 2012
Pensacola, FL
I have my FOL and I’m starting at D3. I wrote my HR rep not complaining but just curious why I wasn’t D2 (and really why wasn’t my save pay from the DOD keeping me towards the top of the D2 band lol). Her excuse was that all prior service military started at D3. I feel like she was trying to save the FAA money...

GrymATC

Newcomer
Jan 18, 2016
I have my FOL and I’m starting at D3. I wrote my HR rep not complaining but just curious why I wasn’t D2 (and really why wasn’t my save pay from the DOD keeping me towards the top of the D2 band lol). Her excuse was that all prior service military started at D3. I feel like she was trying to save the FAA money...
D3>D2. You're getting more money not less...

odotsal

Rookie
Jan 28, 2015
What facility and level?

SckATC

Newcomer
Feb 27, 2017

Is this true? I keep being told that I’ll be starting at the lowest D band. Which would be D2 for where I’m going. But I was also prior military. That’s the first I’ve heard about military starting at D3.

JayTango

Feb 21, 2016
D3 was probably the lowest D pay band for the facility. Beaumont TX goes AG>D3>CPC, that’s just one random example there could be others.

SckATC

Newcomer
Feb 27, 2017
D3 was probably the lowest D pay band for the facility. Beaumont TX goes AG>D3>CPC, that’s just one random example there could be others.
Oh ok yea that makes sense thanks. He just made it sound like there was D2 available in the way he worded it.

AlphaAlpha69

Rookie
Mar 29, 2015
New Mexico
How do the pay increases work for a prior federal employee who has maxed out the D3 pay band? For instance, if I accept a level 7 or below facility, I will start at the very top of the D3 pay band. Will I recieve pay increases as I complete qualifications or will I have to wait until CPC for my first increase? Since the top of D3 is the bottom of CPC, I'm wondering if I would be at the same rate until CPC...