Experience Hire After Academy Washout

RamosKid

Nov 1, 2016
New York, Long Island
I'm just trying to find some info, but does anyone know from either personal experience or know someone that had failed the ATC academy, then join the military (AF, Marines), got all their certifications WITH the 52 weeks experience (or more), reapplied to get back into the FAA and get denied? I'm trying to figure out why it would happen or what is their reasoning behind it if it has happened.

PM me or leave it in the thread. Any info is high appreciated, thanks.

J_Wee4

Apr 26, 2014
i am an academy failure n prior military experience n currently contract ATC n being picked up on prior bid. the only thing i can think of is that your not within 120 days of getting out of military, so u would get denied. other than that, veterans have preference for employment.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

J_Wee4

Apr 26, 2014
only if u deployed,if u didnt, than no.

RamosKid

Nov 1, 2016
New York, Long Island
i am an academy failure n prior military experience n currently contract ATC n being picked up on prior bid. the only thing i can think of is that your not within 120 days of getting out of military, so u would get denied. other than that, veterans have preference for employment.

What branch?

J_Wee4

Apr 26, 2014
up to u...u only need 52 weeks to get the prior bid

Countrykane87

Rookie
Mar 28, 2018
only if u deployed,if u didnt, than no.

This is false info. You still get veterans preference being a national guard vet. It’s more about having the 52 weeks of post certification that you need for the prior experience bid

J_Wee4

Apr 26, 2014
This is false info. You still get veterans preference being a national guard vet. It’s more about having the 52 weeks of post certification that you need for the prior experience bid
thats what i was told. for nathionsl guard, you get veterans preference if you have been on active duty orders for anything other than training. so, if you deployed, you get preference, if you dont deploy, you would need to be on orders for something to get any kind of preference.

J_Wee4

Apr 26, 2014
you will not get veterans preference by just being an M-day soldier.

J_Wee4

Apr 26, 2014
and when i state that you would need to be orders for something, it has to be something other than training. so, weeks of AT every year do NOT count nor does orders for any kind of Army schools, etc...because its classified as training.

boots

Jan 6, 2017
This is in every experienced bid announcement

[FONT=&quot]Applicants who are prior Academy and/or field training failure may not be considered

So take that for what you will. If you want to waste years of your life for a may chance more the power to you.

Most people seem to do the advanced atc thing and get a cto.[/FONT]

RamosKid

Nov 1, 2016
New York, Long Island
This is in every experienced bid announcement

[FONT=&quot]Applicants who are prior Academy and/or field training failure may not be considered

So take that for what you will. If you want to waste years of your life for a may chance more the power to you.

Most people seem to do the advanced atc thing and get a cto.[/FONT]

I never noticed that before.

Countrykane87

Rookie
Mar 28, 2018
thats what i was told. for nathionsl guard, you get veterans preference if you have been on active duty orders for anything other than training. so, if you deployed, you get preference, if you dont deploy, you would need to be on orders for something to get any kind of preference.

You won’t get the 10 point preference without a deployment but you could get the 5 point preference. I did when I applied and I’m a guard vet that didn’t deploy

J_Wee4

Apr 26, 2014
i am as well and i did not get the 5 point preference. i was informed that i was not eligible due to being in the guard and all my ADOS orders were for training only, even i was CTO rated and maintained currency. i guess it is at the discretion of your HR rep.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
You won’t get the 10 point preference without a deployment but you could get the 5 point preference. I did when I applied and I’m a guard vet that didn’t deploy
10 point preference has nothing to do with deployments.

For 10 point preference:

Eligible veterans include veterans who served:

• A veteran who served at any time and (1) has a present service-connected disability or (2) is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension from the military or the Department of Veterans Affairs; or (3) a veteran who received a Purple Heart.
  • An unmarried spouse of certain deceased veterans, a spouse of a veteran unable to work because of a service-connected disability, and
  • A mother of a veteran who died in service or who is permanently and totally disabled.

Countrykane87

Rookie
Mar 28, 2018
i am as well and i did not get the 5 point preference. i was informed that i was not eligible due to being in the guard and all my ADOS orders were for training only, even i was CTO rated and maintained currency. i guess it is at the discretion of your HR rep.

I was told the same thing. I got with a contract tower before applying for an experienced bid tho