Eye Sight Requirements

reiwad19

Newcomer
Dec 5, 2018
Honolulu
I went through MEPs today for the Navy, and it turns out my vision disqualified me from becoming an AC ): Uncorrected vision is 20/400 for my left, 20/200 for my right. I ended up choosing AECF for my rate, and although I'm content with my choice, I am extremely disappointed that I won't have the chance to become an Air Traffic Controller. After my enlistment, will I still have a chance at becoming an ATC? I researched a bit on the vision requirements on the FAA side and found only that your corrected vision has to be 20/20. Will LASIK surgery qualify me?

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
I went through MEPs today for the Navy, and it turns out my vision disqualified me from becoming an AC ): Uncorrected vision is 20/400 for my left, 20/200 for my right. I ended up choosing AECF for my rate, and although I'm content with my choice, I am extremely disappointed that I won't have the chance to become an Air Traffic Controller. After my enlistment, will I still have a chance at becoming an ATC? I researched a bit on the vision requirements on the FAA side and found only that your corrected vision has to be 20/20. Will LASIK surgery qualify me?
Yes...as long as you're seeing 20/20 in each eye is the only requirement. And I guess 20/20 combined too.

Skykid91

Rookie
Jun 1, 2018
LASIK before being in the military is an almost disqualifier. You shouldn't have a problem so long as you wear glasses.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I was 20/400 both eyes when I went into the Air Force. Couldn’t even see there was an eye chart let alone read anything on it. Corrected 20/20 with glasses. Then after I certified I got LASIK courtesy of the military. You should look into a different branch.