FAA Academy Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

astats87

Oct 11, 2010
I'm right here
Be ready for changes when you get to OKC. I heard after September things are going to change. In fact, things are going to change so much that they are shutting down the academy for 3 weeks in september to upgrade systems and stuff.

I heard they were going to make a lot of changes. They already made a lot of spur of the moment types of changes to the class I'm in right now. So if you are memorizing the maps on stuckmic, I'd just say be prepared to see a different map when you get down here. I'm not sure if they are changing the map, but I heard some drastic changes are in place.

Good luck to all.

liondave

Oct 23, 2009
I'm really curious about this 3 week shutdown people have been talking about. I can't imagine they would stop our per diem. Keep us updated!

dlc3y

Newcomer
Oct 27, 2011
TN
I graduated in May from a CTI school. Does anyone know the wait time or should I call or what? Or do I just sit back and wait on a phone call. I want to know that everything is at least on file! All help is welcome.

astats87

Oct 11, 2010
I'm right here
problem is, raytheon is lowering the amount of instructors made available for training. Since they are short staffed now, every single class down here has to stay 6 days extra. I know it's only 6 days, but it totally throws off our schedules. Extra instruction doesn't even come with the extra 6 days. They call it "self study" time.

For the extra 6 days we stay down here, we are basically instructor-less. The reason why is because we have to share instructor time, so instead of running 6 problems a day, we'll be running 4. stretching the 45 or 46 problems we taking anyway.

Now, I'm not so sure about the actually classes that are going to be cancelled or not. It's just a rumor now. Be ready for a postponed class or a cancelled class.

RedBaron

Academy Housing Provider
Apr 22, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Be ready for changes when you get to OKC. I heard after September things are going to change. In fact, things are going to change so much that they are shutting down the academy for 3 weeks in september to upgrade systems and stuff.

I heard they were going to make a lot of changes. They already made a lot of spur of the moment types of changes to the class I'm in right now. So if you are memorizing the maps on stuckmic, I'd just say be prepared to see a different map when you get down here. I'm not sure if they are changing the map, but I heard some drastic changes are in place.

Good luck to all.
The Academy is not shutting down for three weeks in September. Isola Bella talked with Student Services today and they wanted to know where we heard that!?

Cheers,:cheers:
The RedBaron

GeorgeM

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2008
CO
There are more classes than ATC going on at the Academy. It would be nice to get an official confirmation or denial of the ATC class hiatus rumor.

spades

What's happening?
Apr 20, 2009
problem is, raytheon is lowering the amount of instructors made available for training. Since they are short staffed now, every single class down here has to stay 6 days extra. I know it's only 6 days, but it totally throws off our schedules. Extra instruction doesn't even come with the extra 6 days. They call it "self study" time.

For the extra 6 days we stay down here, we are basically instructor-less. The reason why is because we have to share instructor time, so instead of running 6 problems a day, we'll be running 4. stretching the 45 or 46 problems we taking anyway.

Now, I'm not so sure about the actually classes that are going to be cancelled or not. It's just a rumor now. Be ready for a postponed class or a cancelled class.
I'm sure you're a really nice guy who just wants to help people out. However, you really should just stop posting. People have enough to worry about besides some random guy posting crap on SM.

This whole thread is ridiculous. You started off saying that there are going to be lots of changes...you don't know exactly what those changes are but there are going to be a lot of changes. That has to be among the more unhelpful threads on this site.

I think you should really worry about passing the academy and let the people waiting worry about getting there on their own without having to also deal with rumors. Would you find it helpful if someone said, "Dude, at your facility...there is going to be a lot of changes. I don't know the exact specifics of it but there are going to be tons of changes. Just be ready." ??

BadPassportPhoto

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2011
ZTL
I'm sure you're a really nice guy who just wants to help people out. However, you really should just stop posting. People have enough to worry about besides some random guy posting crap on SM.

This whole thread is ridiculous. You started off saying that there are going to be lots of changes...you don't know exactly what those changes are but there are going to be a lot of changes. That has to be among the more unhelpful threads on this site.

I think you should really worry about passing the academy and let the people waiting worry about getting there on their own without having to also deal with rumors. Would you find it helpful if someone said, "Dude, at your facility...there is going to be a lot of changes. I don't know the exact specifics of it but there are going to be tons of changes. Just be ready." ??
What's funny is, whatever changes do happen, don't affect anybody waiting on a FY 13 date. Only people who will be in the Academy during these changes. Unless you're jumping the gun studying whatever maps or trying to remember a certain problem on the PV that somebody heard from someone else that was real tricky so be ready for it! Which is why I'm not studying anything or trying to understand anything until I get there. Then I'll study/do what I'm told, when I'm told, and how I'm told. One thing I've learned after 31 years on this ball of dirt is things (especially in the work-place) change all the time.

MattP1

Rookie
Aug 17, 2009
Raytheon lost the contract, they only have enough instructors to run one radar lab for en route at a time. Rumor here at the centers is they might be canceling classes due to not having any instructors. Keep in mind these are just rumors, but be ready.

AlphaLima

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2008
A black hole
How did they lose the contract? Is there another company providing ATC instructors that is competing with them or are they that retarded that they managed to lose a contract when they are the only game in town?

MattP1

Rookie
Aug 17, 2009
How did they lose the contract? Is there another company providing ATC instructors that is competing with them or are they that retarded that they managed to lose a contract when they are the only game in town?
I'm not sure, our instructors here at ZFW came in one day and said that Raytheon lost their contract and that they only had a few days left. Now their gone. Only speculation at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.