FAA Academy class length

B_Chuck

Newcomer
Jun 23, 2008
GFK...New England soon
Someone I work with is interviewing for a terminal spot and was wondering how long the class is. I know enroute is about 77 school days. Is it true that Up/Down facilities send them for tower first then they come back for radar after getting their tower certs? If so, how long for each class?

Max Power

Jun 16, 2008
tower only is also 37 days. I believe non prior experience have extra class days?

B_Chuck

Newcomer
Jun 23, 2008
GFK...New England soon
Due to your horrible avatar, I am unable to help you with your question...
LOL
:rotf:

LMAO, just because I hate the Yankees, doesn?t mean I don't respect them. The sox would not exist without the Yankees. The rivalry represents the duality in everything. No Yankees would be like good with no evil, God with no Devil, peanut butter no jelly.

So Tower only and approach only is 37 days...in an up/down facility, do you initialy just go for tower, then go back to OKC for radar training after receiving your CTO?

Pants81

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Indiana
School length

So no matter what public hires are 5 weeks added classes, the for center it is 77 school days? wow, I better try to get into that appt complex with the golf course on it. Sounds like at least 2 months of that is just paid vacation

ATCBOY

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Screwston
Better worry about passing the academy more than a vacation. Most military and CTI usually dont have trouble. The only people failed when I went through a year ago was OTS hires. I've also seen a guy make it through that didnt have a clue so I guess it could be vacation. We did go out almost every other night lol.

Pants81

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Indiana
Nooo no no, I know its buisness and thats how I am going to go about it. I have both military experience and CTI experience, all my friends told me its going to be hard but they all went through the VRA way not OTS, I didnt realize the required first 5 weeks was a refresher or atc crash course. I will utilize all the help I can get to prepare for this career.

mciatcguy

Rookie
Jun 17, 2008
D10 Tracon
www.myspace.com
Nooo no no, I know its buisness and thats how I am going to go about it. I have both military experience and CTI experience, all my friends told me its going to be hard but they all went through the VRA way not OTS, I didnt realize the required first 5 weeks was a refresher or atc crash course. I will utilize all the help I can get to prepare for this career.
Thats a damned fine attitude! :cheers:

Adw_dave

Newcomer
Jun 18, 2008
If you are Tracon only you will still take the same Tower class and move onto RTF right after

ATCBOY

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Screwston
ATC

"everyone i know who went said its a joke, the tower class is at least."

I heard that about the Terminal classes too.

ATCBOY, my class had 3 CTI's fail the PV, while every OTS made it. Quit hatin

Quit being sensitive!!!!! :p

He came out the shadows with this one lol. Notice its the only post he ever done..

Pants81

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Indiana
What does RTF mean? I keep noticing it all over these post and I have prob heard it before but I have no clue.

mciatcguy

Rookie
Jun 17, 2008
D10 Tracon
www.myspace.com
RTF is only for students that are going into the Terminal Radar Environment. Center pukes (just kidding guys) have their own huge (and nice, I've heard) building adjacent to the RTF building.