FAA Chosing Location?

mstrachen

Newcomer
Jul 24, 2019
Hi all,

Just started looking into ATC as a career option and saw that relocation may be apart of the job. How much truth does this hold and does the FAA govern where you will be located? If I had the choice I'd probably go for Syracuse Hancock International Airport (SYR) if that is of valuable information to anyone.

Thanks!

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
You have to be open to going anywhere in the US. When you go and pass the academy, then they give you a list that could be anywhere and you to pick one of those. Not a lot of wiggle room in regards to how they place people.

smh249

Oct 19, 2013
They wont pay for relocation costs. There are a few exceptions like Alaska, but thats only after you are rated.

jayrod

Rookie
Jan 2, 2018
There's a 95% chance you will not get what you want.

If you are off the streets (with no experience) you could get sent to an enroute environment or a terminal environment. Part of the application process one of the questions will ask - "Are you willing to relocate anywhere inside the United States?" But that is just the way it is. There are many places you can get sent to.

Reactions: ilushka91

Poppy

Newcomer
Sep 27, 2018
When you pass the academy there will be a list to choose from for what they need. It could be all 1 location or it could be 12 different ones. The person who passes the academy with the highest scores chooses first and it goes from there. Often times there are great locations, but it’s different for every graduating class. My brother just graduated the academy 2 years ago, that’s how I know.