FAA Medical Obesity

redcup

May 17, 2011
I am not a medical doctor. However, if the obesity does not affect the EKG, blood pressure, urinalysis, hearing/vision test or create any other medical conditions that would otherwise disqualify the candidate, I don't see the problem. Simply being obese is not disqualifying in itself from what I've seen. One of my instructors at CTI school was a ZOA controller who weighed 350lbs+

ware230

Trusted Contributor
Feb 4, 2011
IL Enroute CA
I'm pretty sure as long as it has not resulted in any actual disqualifying conditions such as diabetes than you're fine. You should post in the ask a flight surgeon forum to get more medical assurances.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
We had a civilian dod controller who broke every chair that he sat on in the IFR room. He wound up taking a job in Japan and is probably a sex god there now.

killswitch

Tin Pusher
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
There's a guy from another FAA facility that I know who lost around 300-400 lbs recently. He was fine working. As long as you can pass the normal requirements.

maxshuty

Jan 20, 2009
I would go ask the flight surgeon in the other section of these forums. However, like stated, the weight itself is not an issue (some people are 6'8" and their normal weight would be obese for someone who's a foot shorter), so there isn't a set weight they could reference from since everyone has a different build. It's the conditions that could be associated with the obesity that are disqualifying and if you have none of those then you should be ok.

sajgracer1

Oct 14, 2008
California
I am not a medical doctor. However, if the obesity does not affect the EKG, blood pressure, urinalysis, hearing/vision test or create any other medical conditions that would otherwise disqualify the candidate, I don't see the problem. Simply being obese is not disqualifying in itself from what I've seen. One of my instructors at CTI school was a ZOA controller who weighed 350lbs+
Lol. TS. That dude was funny as hell

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
We have a couple dudes over 300. One guy is like 63+ and huge... I can't begin to guess his weight

og60ken

Rookie
Dec 8, 2012
I'm the right guard in my avi photo I've taken a class 2 medical twice and passed twice

bills13

Newcomer
Apr 3, 2012
Getting into the FAA is different then already being in. There is a lot of things you can get a waiver for once your in the system that you won't get on an initial hire flight physical. Obesity shouldn't be a factor unless it messes up test results like someone else said earlier

JudyRomero

Newcomer
Jul 18, 2020
Hey. I understand your feelings because at one period I was also overweight and I just wanted to die. After a long conversation with the doctor, I decided to forget about fast food and began to train hard. I passed the first examination and it turned out that I have a lot of deviations and almost completely clogged blood vessels. I also learned about special supplements for faster results and decided to use these supplements. I read reviews about them and came across stoneathleticmedicine.com. There was a lot of useful information in this health blog and it helped me make a number of correct decisions. So you need to stop being afraid and start taking care of yourself!

Last edited: