FAA to DOD Release Dates?

csween86

Rookie
Jan 24, 2014
Does anyone know if the FAA can stick you with a release date if you are a CPC and get selected for a DOD position?

csween86

Rookie
Jan 24, 2014
I came to the FAA from the DOD originally and I don't remember resigning to come to the FAA (maybe I did, I just don't remember the exacts). It seemed to be handled as more of a transfer since I carried my pay and benefits over. Would the process be similar going back to the DOD, just in reverse?

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
Ass deep in a folding chair
I came to the FAA from the DOD originally and I don't remember resigning to come to the FAA (maybe I did, I just don't remember the exacts). It seemed to be handled as more of a transfer since I carried my pay and benefits over. Would the process be similar going back to the DOD, just in reverse?
Yeah that's what I mean, it is an interagency transfer, but you would no longer be an FAA employee so they shouldn't be able to hold you to FAA release guidelines. I don't see why you wouldn't save pay and transfer leave, but you'd have to talk to HR for the branch you're hiring on with.

1love

Newcomer
Apr 3, 2016
Yes.. You would get stuck within the payband of whatever the GS equivalent is example.. you make 96K with the FAA.. and you get hired as DoD GS12.. You would become GS12 step 8.
Any idea if that is adjusted for the special rate table or locality? example - FAA pay is 83k base (96k with locality). Would they apply the 25%/30% special rate to your 83k, or would they just match your 96k.

Bravo Delta

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2015
North Carolina
A buddy of mine just did this. His fac cheif told him they were going to try to keep him until his release date. Regional said they couldn't and he was in the DOD three weeks later.

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
Any idea if that is adjusted for the special rate table or locality? example - FAA pay is 83k base (96k with locality). Would they apply the 25%/30% special rate to your 83k, or would they just match your 96k.
Well if we are getting technical.. If your FAA pay is 83k base.. you would be 83k base with DoD pay.. They have a base pay table also. And here it is to see where you fit GS BASE PAY CHART and since the DoD Doesn't have range of pay.. you will be bumped to the next highest step.. so take your 83k base pay example. You will be either GS 11 Step 10, GS 12 Step 10, or GS 13 step 5. Depending on what position you get hired for.

Now as for SSR. SSR is kinda like locality. You get BASEPAY + ((( SSR or Locality ))) whichever of the two is higher.

SSR for tower is 25% and Radar 30%. At Edwards Tower our locality for Los Angeles was 27% . So I got 27% not 25%.

Hope this makes sense.

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
Oh and don't let people tell you the FAA is always better than DoD cause it all depends on you. We had a guy that quit ZKC center went DoD. He's in a GS13 step 10 spot capped out which is the same as a CPC at a lvl 10. And he works 4 x 10hr days , Mon-Thurs 7am-5pm. Comes and goes as he pleases. Is his own boss and runs his own crew. Every weekend, holiday, evening off. You get paid gym time in the DoD --- 3hrs per week. Very light traffic. Gets the exact same benefits as the FAA reference holiday, sick leave. TSP match and same retirement.

HollyVVood

Trusted Member
Dec 6, 2013
Oh and don't let people tell you the FAA is always better than DoD cause it all depends on you. We had a guy that quit ZKC center went DoD. He's in a GS13 step 10 spot capped out which is the same as a CPC at a lvl 10. And he works 4 x 10hr days , Mon-Thurs 7am-5pm. Comes and goes as he pleases. Is his own boss and runs his own crew. Every weekend, holiday, evening off. You get paid gym time in the DoD --- 3hrs per week. Very light traffic. Gets the exact same benefits as the FAA reference holiday, sick leave. TSP match and same retirement.
Now that's the Dream.

csween86

Rookie
Jan 24, 2014
It's my understanding that the DOD will negotiate pay, and can match your current FAA base pay closest to whatever GS level/step your current base pay falls into for that new position, not exceeding your current base. SSR and any incentive pay will be added accordingly to the new GS level/step you fall into.

csween86

Rookie
Jan 24, 2014
Also, let's say just say theoretically you work at a level 12 in the FAA and go to a GS 11 position in the DOD... Im pretty sure since level 12 base pay well exceeds the GS 11 base pay scale, the DOD can only max you out as a GS 11 step 10 because it's an 11 position, and you can't exceed the top of the band for that position.

echster

Sep 14, 2015
DoD ATC
You can offer your resignation whenever you like and your Agency cannot stop you from leaving. Below is the applicable regulation.

5 CFR § 715.202. Resignation.

(a) General. An employee is free to resign at any time, to set the effective date of his resignation, and to have his reasons for resigning entered in his official records.

(b) Withdrawal of resignation. An agency may permit an employee to withdraw his resignation at any time before it has become effective. An agency may decline a request to withdraw a resignation before its effective date only when the agency has a valid reason and explains that reason to the employee. A valid reason includes, but is not limited to, administrative disruption or the hiring or commitment to hire a replacement. Avoidance of adverse action proceedings is not a valid reason.

csween86

Rookie
Jan 24, 2014
You can offer your resignation whenever you like and your Agency cannot stop you from leaving. Below is the applicable regulation.

5 CFR § 715.202. Resignation.

(a) General. An employee is free to resign at any time, to set the effective date of his resignation, and to have his reasons for resigning entered in his official records.

(b) Withdrawal of resignation. An agency may permit an employee to withdraw his resignation at any time before it has become effective. An agency may decline a request to withdraw a resignation before its effective date only when the agency has a valid reason and explains that reason to the employee. A valid reason includes, but is not limited to, administrative disruption or the hiring or commitment to hire a replacement. Avoidance of adverse action proceedings is not a valid reason.
Thanks!

meanjoe

Trusted Member
Apr 23, 2011
They'd match your base pay then add ssr. Something else, if you're considering dod, they pay 5% atc premium pay (I think it's call AOU) also that's not in the advertised salary in job announcements. This is in addition to SSR or Locality. They may move you up two steps above where your current pay falls in to the GS pay scale. This usually happens when you transfer between dod facilities or move up in pay from GS11 to 12.

Brew

Jun 20, 2008
Wouldn't resigning your position in order to leave for a new job result in a break in service? For inter-DOD transfers the receiving HR has you provide a POC at your agencies HR and they work out a date that works for both agencies. My facility didn't have input, if I recall correctly, & HR made the date determination.