FAA to DOD Release Dates?

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
Wouldn't resigning your position in order to leave for a new job result in a break in service? For inter-DOD transfers the receiving HR has you provide a POC at your agencies HR and they work out a date that works for both agencies. My facility didn't have input, if I recall correctly, & HR made the date determination.
You would just wait till you have a firm start date with the DoD. I knew about 3-4 weeks out. Then you would drop your resignation letter to the FAA (2-week notice). The HR people will reach out to each other so that your SF-50 and all other information gets transfered (Annual leave and Sick leave) I quit with the DoD on a Friday and started with the FAA on Monday. Very painless process.

csween86

Rookie
Jan 24, 2014
Figured I'd add this because people were talking on this post about how the save pay works with a transfer like this.... The Department of the Army HR is not placing my base pay to the closest step in line with my current FAA base pay and adding 25% special salary rate (SSR) like I thought they would... They say because it is a SSR position they will only match my overall FAA salary to the appropriate SSR step that is in line with my current FAA salary. Since locality is so low at my facility (rest of the US), I will be set as a GS 11 step 5 because that is closest in line with my current FAA salary although my current FAA base pay is in line with a step 8's base pay... I think it's BS and I'm fighting it in hopes that they are just being incompetent or ignorant.

Last edited:

csween86

Rookie
Jan 24, 2014
...And I say closest in line, but pretty much if my pay falls between two steps and not exactly on either one, they will give me the higher step. So it's still a raise, but not nearly as much as I thought it would be.

vm2152

Sep 10, 2008
Agreed. You just start the new job the day after the old job. I did so last Nov. The resigning is just leaving one agency for the other, you get an SF-50 stating resignation, and a new one for an appointment.

MDWST07

Rookie
Jul 17, 2013
Lots of good info here. I'm looking at making the switch to DoD from the FAA but need some help with the particulars. I'm currently FAA lv 10 and my pay is 128k. Base is 100k, 28k is loc. Ive always heard that you save pay switching between agencies, but going to DoD from FAA that cap you to the highest step of the GS pay scale for the job your bidding if I read it correctly. Questions...

-Will they match my pay and locality?
-When a DoD bid advertises "GS 12 pay between 79K-103K" is the SSR and the 5% ATC premium included in these ammounts? Is the top end number the absolute max pay you can make at that job?
-I've seen DoD jobs that hire at GS 10, with promotion potential to GS 12 or 13 pending checkout. Pay wise how does this work? Do they hire me as a GS 10 step 10 then so I progress through the GS ranks i.e., GS 11-step 10, GS 12-step 10 upon checkout?

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Lots of good info here. I'm looking at making the switch to DoD from the FAA but need some help with the particulars. I'm currently FAA lv 10 and my pay is 128k. Base is 100k, 28k is loc. Ive always heard that you save pay switching between agencies, but going to DoD from FAA that cap you to the highest step of the GS pay scale for the job your bidding if I read it correctly. Questions...

-Will they match my pay and locality?
-When a DoD bid advertises "GS 12 pay between 79K-103K" is the SSR and the 5% ATC premium included in these ammounts? Is the top end number the absolute max pay you can make at that job?
-I've seen DoD jobs that hire at GS 10, with promotion potential to GS 12 or 13 pending checkout. Pay wise how does this work? Do they hire me as a GS 10 step 10 then so I progress through the GS ranks i.e., GS 11-step 10, GS 12-step 10 upon checkout?
One, these are questions for which you should seek answers in writing over a manager's signature before accepting that position.

Two, if you're leaving the FAA for the DoD and you're worried about making less than you would at an ATC-10 tower, you should probably stick with the FAA.

KingPinEJ

Newcomer
Mar 17, 2016
AZ
I was a prior DOD controller and have been involved in some steps of the hiring processThe SSR is included in the advertised amount, ATC premium is not. The top end is the top of that particular pay band. If you are to negotiate a full save pay (sometimes it happens, most of the time it doesnt) you would be considered a gs-12 step 00. But chances are you will be maxed out at the pay grade max plus 5% ATC premium. Usually the progression steps mentioned above would apply only to those not qualified for save pay or at a lower end of the pay band to start.