FAA to DOD

Kirkus8

Newcomer
Mar 5, 2021
Has anyone had experience going FAA to DOD? Are you happy you made the switch? How hard would it be to transition back to the FAA if I ever wanted to?

Im currently in the FAA and have been at my first duty location since 2019. It’s an up down level 6. This is far from a desirable location (for us) and we have no family anywhere close. I got checked out in the tower fairly quick, but because of covid, I still haven’t begun radar training.

I was offered a slot at a gs-10 DOD tower in an area my wife and I actually want to move to. This is quite tempting because from what I’ve seen and read, it’s not very easy to move in the FAA; especially to highly desirable areas.

thanks!

Departure

Newcomer
Feb 11, 2016
I definitely would do it if a location where we wanted to go offered a job. CPC in the FAA and wouldnt think twice about it. I know there is a CPC reinstatement program for the FAA if you have been out for 1 yr. Pretty sure it doesn't count for Devs.

Hard to get back after 1 yr? Meh, it is all up to the ATM and some dont really know about the policy or how to go about it, so maybe. If you know an ATM though, and they arent 100% staffed, you are g2g.

Gl with it all

Reactions: Kirkus8

Charlie_Tango

Rookie
Jul 28, 2012
Greater Detroit area
Has anyone had experience going FAA to DOD? Are you happy you made the switch? How hard would it be to transition back to the FAA if I ever wanted to?

Im currently in the FAA and have been at my first duty location since 2019. It’s an up down level 6. This is far from a desirable location (for us) and we have no family anywhere close. I got checked out in the tower fairly quick, but because of covid, I still haven’t begun radar training.

I was offered a slot at a gs-10 DOD tower in an area my wife and I actually want to move to. This is quite tempting because from what I’ve seen and read, it’s not very easy to move in the FAA; especially to highly desirable areas.

thanks!
I’ve actually done this.. I left D21 and I took a GS -10 position in California. Now I’m preparing to move to a GS 11 position. The transfer wasn’t hard. Your secretary will do most of the work between themselves and the HR at your DOD location. It took me about 2 months to move once I got the official offer. Good luck with everything