Facilities and Moving Up

Recycledlives

Rookie
Nov 3, 2016
Maybe someone here can provide clarification for how training time and facility transfers work with the FAA. So here is my hypothetical that I am trying to work through:

My goal is to start at Houston Tower [HOU] and to eventually transfer to Houston TRACON [I90]. HOU has a training time of 0.74 years and I90 has a training time of 1.37 years. I am confused as to whether or not that means I need to certify twice, or just once. And if, by some miracle from God I get HOU, do I have to be there for a set time before I can go to I90, or is it I can transfer at anytime (assuming they'd take me at I90)?

tsimms13

Rookie
Sep 24, 2012
Florida
Maybe someone here can provide clarification for how training time and facility transfers work with the FAA. So here is my hypothetical that I am trying to work through:

My goal is to start at Houston Tower [HOU] and to eventually transfer to Houston TRACON [I90]. HOU has a training time of 0.74 years and I90 has a training time of 1.37 years. I am confused as to whether or not that means I need to certify twice, or just once. And if, by some miracle from God I get HOU, do I have to be there for a set time before I can go to I90, or is it I can transfer at anytime (assuming they'd take me at I90)?
You need to do a bit of research my friend. Terminal academy graduates pick from a list which is perpetually changing consisting of level 4-7 airports, with a VERY rare 8. Your chances of picking HOU are 0.01% and your chances of getting a level 8 are 1%. That being said, each facility has varying certification times. I have heard of people reaching CPC at level 4 and 5's in 6-8 months, while other facilities take years depending on staffing and other factors. You can technically submit a transfer request immediately I believe, but will count as a training failure if you leave before reaching CPC (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It would be silly to even submit an ERR before reaching CPC for many reasons... which I won't dive in to.

There is no "set" time. There are way too many factors that go into a transfer. If you are looking for black and white, you'll never find your answers. Having your heart set on just I90 will lead to much disappointment, as you may not get there for 10 or 15 years. Open up your mind.. terminal will bring you all over the country. Focus on being the best CPC you can, focus on working hard for YOUR facility. Good luck.

bugmenot2

Newcomer
Dec 12, 2012
Assuming you get to HOU Tower immediately from the academy, your first step would be to make sure nobody at HOU knows you plan to leave the moment you certify. After you do that, go ahead and certify in 9 months. Before your checkout party put the paperwork in for the transfer. Under ideal conditions you could probably be on your way to I90 in 3-6 months. You’d then get to I90 and hope none of your former trainers’ buddies works in your new specialty. Here you’d start training all over again, with new airspace. It’s completely different from a tower so you’re gonna need to learn new rules, maps and and phraseology. 5You also might need to learn some new LOAs since you now touch ZHU and control multiple approaches to different airports. After impressing everyone with your 3 months of CPC transfer knowledge, you could certify at i90 in 16 months and enjoy a long career in the faa (after your HOU trainers retire or move on and they forget about you.)

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
The odds against you being offered Hobby as a terminal option Academy graduate are huge. It has a staffing number of 20, with 18 CPCs, 3 trainees, 3 inbound CPCs, 1 outbound CPC and no expected retirements as of last month. The odds against you being offered a facility in Texas are less, but still large enough that getting one would be lucky. I wish you well, but don't take it personally if you aren't offered any facilities in Texas.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Expect a facility out west, midwest or northeast in an undesirable or high cost of living area and be pleasantly surprised if you get something elsewhere.

HenryTheAce

Jul 21, 2014
ZMP -> D21
And the answer of certifying twice is, yes. If you check out at a facility and then transfer to a new facility. You must certify again and start the process over.

Thunderchief

Sep 21, 2011
You need to do a bit of research my friend. Terminal academy graduates pick from a list which is perpetually changing consisting of level 4-7 airports, with a VERY rare 8. Your chances of picking HOU are 0.01% and your chances of getting a level 8 are 1%.
So your saying that my chances of getting ORD after the academy are 100%.