Facility Placement and Start Date

ZEBRA

Sep 24, 2013
Has anybody turned down an offer and been offered another location
Not that I've heard of. I've heard they send out a generic "Try applying again next year." Response to anyone who doesn't like their location.

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
Ass deep in a folding chair
Has anybody turned down an offer and been offered another location
Think long and hard about turning it down. I saw you mentioned your wife didn't like your location. If you're somewhere that sucks or you don't want to be you can always change later. I can 100% guarantee you you won't get to the facility you want if you don't accept an offer. You're leaving it on fate that you make it through the whole hiring process again. Personally not a chance I would want to take.

Reactions: lookitsroadie

Mitchy2Slick

Rookie
May 13, 2015
Think long and hard about turning it down. I saw you mentioned your wife didn't like your location. If you're somewhere that sucks or you don't want to be you can always change later. I can 100% guarantee you you won't get to the facility you want if you don't accept an offer. You're leaving it on fate that you make it through the whole hiring process again. Personally not a chance I would want to take.
I'm going to accept!. Don't want to risk it bro

Ebag

Rookie
Dec 19, 2013
No clue why it's so low, but it's absolutely ridiculous! The cost of living there is crazy high. I think I read that the average house price is like 5 million. I've tried to read up on how workers actually can afford to live there, but didn't find too much. On Zillow it looks like you maybe can purchase a 300 sq ft hotel room for like 150K, but don't be fooled by the cheap condos, bc many of those are like 170K for one month a year ownership or something like that. Lol. Yeah, definitely not an affordable place for someone with a family.

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
Saw a list with LBB on here. I started there, great facility to start at. Checked out and reported to ZOB in less than 2.5 years. No state tax in texas, and you get a radar ticket. Texas Tech is there. Does the location suck? yea. it does. When i left there was only one controller over 30 (shout out Kendall). this was a few years ago, but of the 12 or so ppl that were training in the time I was there, almost everyone is transferred. Most to Ft worth center, one to the center in abq, one to ROW, a few others to the midwest. Awesome facility to prepare you for the bigtime. Something to consider. And its flippin cheap.

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
Locality isn't COLA. Locality exists to keep federal jobs comparable, money wise, in areas where employers pay more. Sine the people who own those place in aspen don't actually work there, and the majority of jobs are lower paying service industry jobs, locality is low. On the other end of the spectrum is places like Houston where cost of living is dirt cheap but a lot of the jobs in the area are high paying oil industry and NASA, locality is pretty high.

DWK

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Once we send our survey back with our facilities ranked by preference, you guys think a person actually looks at them or a computer decides our fate?

Papa Delta

Trusted Contributor
Jan 26, 2015
The North West
No clue why it's so low, but it's absolutely ridiculous! The cost of living there is crazy high. I think I read that the average house price is like 5 million. I've tried to read up on how workers actually can afford to live there, but didn't find too much. On Zillow it looks like you maybe can purchase a 300 sq ft hotel room for like 150K, but don't be fooled by the cheap condos, bc many of those are like 170K for one month a year ownership or something like that. Lol. Yeah, definitely not an affordable place for someone with a family.
I checked out another thread where people were talking about Aspen because I was offered that location too. Most people commute over 50 miles to work every day to afford a place in another town. Nobody can afford to actually live anywhere close to work, but people seem to be happy with working there. I put it pretty far down my list, I am not willing to commute that far for a level 5 facility.

Mitchy2Slick

Rookie
May 13, 2015
Once we send our survey back with our facilities ranked by preference, you guys think a person actually looks at them or a computer decides our fate?
I'm guessing a someone is blindfolded and drawing from a hat because the placements does not make any sense... I live her in Jacksonville... Ranked Jacksonville as my #1..buuuuut did I get it ..NOPE...headed to the Midwest..lol....

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
I checked out another thread where people were talking about Aspen because I was offered that location too. Most people commute over 50 miles to work every day to afford a place in another town. Nobody can afford to actually live anywhere close to work, but people seem to be happy with working there. I put it pretty far down my list, I am not willing to commute that far for a level 5 facility.
Yes, the most common location is Glenwood Springs. I toured the facility a few years ago and that's where most of them were living.

DWK

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
I'm guessing a someone is blindfolded and drawing from a hat because the placements does not make any sense... I live her in Jacksonville... Ranked Jacksonville as my #1..buuuuut did I get it ..NOPE...headed to the Midwest..lol....
Haha seriously. Knock out your ratings and transfer though. What part of the Midwest?

TIL

Rookie
Mar 4, 2015
So what you are saying is I need to turn in my list like this..?

1: Jacksonville
2: Jacksonville
3: Jacksonville
4: Start listing the others from here

Lol