Failed PV at Academy / Second Chance

TonySeagle

Newcomer
Jan 6, 2015
I'm a veteran and I can appreciate anyone serving his country, but the only certifications I care about are the ones that allow you to give me a break.
Do what? I would think just having CTOs = experience. Certainly that accounts for something. I think the point that is trying to be made is perhaps something that applies to ANY ATC facility....where nobody really cares how many certifications you have...or from where. This is because those certifications don't make you a rated controller at your current facility. Am I correct?

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
Do what? I would think just having CTOs = experience. Certainly that accounts for something. I think the point that is trying to be made is perhaps something that applies to ANY ATC facility....where nobody really cares how many certifications you have...or from where. This is because those certifications don't make you a rated controller at your current facility. Am I correct?
Exactly. Your previous facilities mean nothing to me as your co-worker or your instructor.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Exactly. Your previous facilities mean nothing to me as your co-worker or your instructor.
I totally disagree... If I'm in an AZ tower where it's VFR 99.9% of the year and it goes IFR one day I'm gonna ask the guy with experience from a tower in Bismark ND, "Hey man. I don't remember my SVFR rules. Help me out"

Or a facility that never sees military operations and the Helo asks for an auto rotation or a jet asks for a carrier break. It's nice to lean over to the veteran and ask "what the f*ck does that mean".

Don't ever think you know it all or you're above asking for "help" from someone in training because they came from a slower facility. You all start somewhere. All of you

Reactions: mikefsfr

JamesEarlJones

Jan 9, 2014
I totally disagree... If I'm in an AZ tower where it's VFR 99.9% of the year and it goes IFR one day I'm gonna ask the guy with experience from a tower in Bismark ND, "Hey man. I don't remember my SVFR rules. Help me out"

Or a facility that never sees military operations and the Helo asks for an auto rotation or a jet asks for a carrier break. It's nice to lean over to the veteran and ask "what the f*ck does that mean".

Don't ever think you know it all or you're above asking for "help" from someone in training because they came from a slower facility. You

all start somewhere. All of you

Thats not really what I think we mean. Of course in your examples there is what we call "tower team". No one is above asking for assistance or clarification.

What is meant is..... " I have checked out at Bumfk army airfield where we had 5 operations an hour, no fixed wing.....Why am I not checked out man?"..... And that happens a lot.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
If you've got a developmental on Local who works the position safely and effectively, does it matter to you that he has no previous experience? If you've got a CPC-IT on Local who works it as if this were his first five minutes in his first tower ever, will you check him out just because somebody else signed him off at his last facility?

I expect someone with experience to be an adult. I expect them to know how to learn the airspace and procedures quickly, and to learn from their mistakes faster than someone who doesn't have experience. If they aren't good controllers or co-workers, I don't care where they checked out before they got to my facility.

freakfly23

Rookie
Aug 28, 2014
Wow, I don't even think I was drinking when I posted that. Thanks for the information. I am also a disabled veteran reapplying through the va's vocational rehabilitation program. I'm putting in my application at Wal-Mart just in case.