Fairbanks Intl ATCT/TRACON - FAI

RV1

Newcomer
Dec 28, 2009
Are you still requesting info about Fairbanks? I may be able to provide some answers...

Kilo Juliett

Rookie
Mar 23, 2014
I'm just curious as to how hard it would be to bid out if I end up here. Fairbanks is supposed to be one of the facilities that you can go to if you want it regardless of what is on the list. I'm considering it since I'm young and single and would never have an opportunity like this again. I just don't want to be stuck there. Ideally I would like to be there for no more than 5 years then bid out somewhere else where I ultimately want to be.

Would it it be reasonably to think I could get out within 5 years or would I most likely end up stuck?

SnoopDog

Jun 11, 2012
I'm just curious as to how hard it would be to bid out if I end up here. Fairbanks is supposed to be one of the facilities that you can go to if you want it regardless of what is on the list. I'm considering it since I'm young and single and would never have an opportunity like this again. I just don't want to be stuck there. Ideally I would like to be there for no more than 5 years then bid out somewhere else where I ultimately want to be.

Would it it be reasonably to think I could get out within 5 years or would I most likely end up stuck?

My advice... be careful what you ask for. Go where you want to be or close to it right off the bat....

ClayZ1989

Dec 4, 2009
West Deptford, NJ
I think getting out of Fairbanks within 5 years would be reasonable. Obviously nothing is guaranteed but from what I know you shouldnt have a problem putting in a transfer request after just 2 years of working there as a CPC.

airkiwi

Sep 28, 2008
Expect a 2-year release date unless it's a promotion to a supervisor position. Their staffing has been awful for 10+ years.

Plattler01

Trusted Member
Jun 7, 2012
Anyone have any knowledge/opinion on how you would fare if you list Alaska as a preference when applying to the current ATCS bid that's out right now? How is manning at ANC v. FAI?

ClayZ1989

Dec 4, 2009
West Deptford, NJ
Alaska as a whole has issues with keeping their facilities fully staffed. Recently there were multiple bids on usajobs for three different FAA facilities in alaska with multiple openings in each location. I think requesting Alaska would give you a better chance at being hired but that's just my opinion. I'm not sure how the new hiring process works since the Academy has shifted to a competitive method of facility selection compared to the old way where you knew your facility prior to showing up at the schoolhouse.

areimann772

Newcomer
Jul 26, 2013
They're not sending anyone to Anchorage right now. They have Fairbanks and Juneau on every region's list as an additional option (and occasionally mandatory on the Western region lists). I've heard the reason they're not hiring for Anchorage right now is due to the number of controllers trying to get to Anchorage from Juneau/Fairbanks.

Anyone have any idea how long it takes to check out on average in Fairbanks?

Eman1193

Jan 9, 2011
I don't know about fairbanks but We are understaffed at anchorage tracon so they threw a crap load of trainees our way. As it stands now we have 13 cpcs, 15 trainees, and 5 Temporary Duty Assignments. The trainees fight for an hour a day training time, the cpcs are all burnt out and trying to transfer out, and the TDY's check out and then leave shortly after. Gotta Love Anchorage Tracon !

RV1

Newcomer
Dec 28, 2009
Expect a 2-year release date unless it's a promotion to a supervisor position. Their staffing has been awful for 10+ years.

Even that doesn't work! Realistically you can expect to check out in 12-14 months. Some have done it in way less, and others way longer. They are still short staffed. At least 85% are actively bidding out. The waiting list to leave is as long as the winters. The traffic is fun and challenging, if you're into that sort of thing. The facility as a whole is small, but has great views. To expect to leave after 5 years is realistic. They have gotten a few controllers who hardshipped out months after getting there...

Need more?

Plattler01

Trusted Member
Jun 7, 2012
Even that doesn't work! Realistically you can expect to check out in 12-14 months. Some have done it in way less, and others way longer. They are still short staffed. At least 85% are actively bidding out. The waiting list to leave is as long as the winters. The traffic is fun and challenging, if you're into that sort of thing. The facility as a whole is small, but has great views. To expect to leave after 5 years is realistic. They have gotten a few controllers who hardshipped out months after getting there...

Need more?
Good synopsis, thanks for the post.

areimann772

Newcomer
Jul 26, 2013
I just got here and I really like it. From the trend it looks like it'll probably take 1-1.5 years to check out and a 2 year release date with current staffing. But management is awesome, its really laid back, everyone is friendly and helpful and they're certainly not trying to wash people out like the old rumors would have it. The city lacks a few things, but overall it's pretty charming town. Lots of good experience for beginners.

Kilo Juliett

Rookie
Mar 23, 2014
I just got here and I really like it. From the trend it looks like it'll probably take 1-1.5 years to check out and a 2 year release date with current staffing. But management is awesome, its really laid back, everyone is friendly and helpful and they're certainly not trying to wash people out like the old rumors would have it. The city lacks a few things, but overall it's pretty charming town. Lots of good experience for beginners.
That's good to hear. It looks like I'll be going there. I have my last ground pa today.

How did you get there? Did you drive or fly?