FDT

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Did my first leg of FDT on friday, it was very cool. Had a little hiccup with TSA at ord, but after that no issues. Talked to the american gate agent as soon as she got there and had no issues at all. She took my paper ticket and printed me out a boarding pass for the jump seat. At boarding the stewardess just checked my badge to make sure I had credentials to be up there and that was it. The cockpit itself was pretty much the same. The captain wanted to double check my W1 ticket and id, but said it was pretty much just a formality. He was curious to see the paper work because neither him or the FO had been on a flight with someone doing FDT. They originally thought I was an FAA inspector, but after I explained that I was an air traffic controller the mood seemed to relax. Apparently there has been some regular oversight since they declared bankruptcy.

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
if they think you're doing a line check they'll look for any excuse they can find to kick you off, lol

BVI4Life

Jun 8, 2009
PCT
I didn't even know American was on the list. Guess the FDT folks haven't updated in awhile.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I didn't even know American was on the list. Guess the FDT folks haven't updated in awhile.
I haven't seen a FDT newsletter recently, but there was a briefing tracker item sometime in November with an updated list. American/American Eagle were both on it.

BVI4Life

Jun 8, 2009
PCT
Weird. Any chance if you could tell me if Air Wisconsin is on it yet? Will make my trip planning SO much easier...

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Weird. Any chance if you could tell me if Air Wisconsin is on it yet? Will make my trip planning SO much easier...
This is the most recent list I've seen. As of Nov 9th so there might be more now but haven't seen anything official. We just got something from NATCA about JetBlue having issues getting people on flights even though they are listed. Apparently their IT systems can't handle the ATC code for CASS so all scheduled flights on JetBlue will be cancelled until the issue is resolved.

Air Tran
Alaska
American
American Eagle
Atlantic Southeast
ComAir
Delta
Continental
Era Aviation
Everts Air
Express Jet
FedEx
Frontier
GoJet
Great Lakes
Hawaiian
Horizon
Jet Blue
Republic
SkyWest
United

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
What kind of a/c was it? I would love to fly somewhere cool on a 777, the cockpits in those things are bigger than my living room, contrary to when I jumpseated on an E145...I came out of the cockpit walking like Hank Hill's dad on King of the Hill.
It was a CRJ7...not great, but from what I hear not the worst thing either.

I'll definitely make sure my next FDT is on some type of wide body jet.

ariera

Rookie
Oct 15, 2009
OKC
Anyone know about flying with FedEx? How about getting their schedules? I know they say to call, but I really can't imagine saying, "Hi, my name is blah blah blah and I want to know about your flight schedules so I can ride in the jump seat with your pilots as part of the flight deck training program".
And what are the chances of riding in say, a caravan to some little place that fedEx serves. Maybe they have contracted out their littler fleet?

Advice and snarky comments welcome.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
And what are the chances of riding in say, a caravan to some little place that fedEx serves. Maybe they have contracted out their littler fleet?
If you're thinking of the Cessna Caravans, ATRs, planes like that, yeah, those are contracted out. Or more specifically, damp leased. If you're calling to ask, those are the FedEx Feeder planes.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to FDT on them. FedEx owns the planes, but most of the time (if not all), they're run by other carriers that use their own callsigns and crew. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Wiggins, but there are a few others.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Search for fedex jump seat finder on google, there is a website although it's not the greatest.

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
Another one in the Midwest is CSA Air (callsign "Iron Air"). They fly the C208s for Fedex. Honestly, I don't know how much different that would be than your typical VFR cross country, although I'm sure the pilot wouldn't mind some company. :)
CSA Homepage

purpletw

Trusted Member
Dec 14, 2010
I have a few questions you guys should be able to help me out with:

1. Is the FDT program mandatory as part of your training? (not that anyone would ever NOT want to do it)
2. I thought I read something about a written report after you fly. Is that required? Or only at certain places depending on trainer/management?
3. Do you do this on work time?

Thanks

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
nothing with FDT is mandatory, and in fact a lot of the "old guys" dont really want to do it because its so restrictive to their old "fam trips". (its not that bad, but when you compare it to free flights/high priority/fly anywhere every weekend...)

There is a little report you have to fill, its pretty cake, and no one really "cares" about it. Just bs it and make it look nice and you are done.

Its on work time, so people combine it with RDO's for longer trips. Leave Fri, Sat/Sun RDO, home monday. So thats 2 Four-day work weeks and a trip in the middle for free... not too shabby.

daveozzie999

Aug 15, 2009
MRY
AWS makes it significantly better! :) I still haven't done one yet though. Plan to hopefully within a couple months.

MvG

Dec 10, 2010
Yo Front Door
Anybody know if we're (the faa) still participating in the fdt program... Can't find the paperwork on any federal site... Just curious was trying to hook one up, no one at my fac knows for sure... Any my natca rep is probably outta town...

unable

Trusted Member
Jan 31, 2013
Over the Rainbow
Anybody know if we're (the faa) still participating in the fdt program... Can't find the paperwork on any federal site... Just curious was trying to hook one up, no one at my fac knows for sure... Any my natca rep is probably outta town...
Yes its still available.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
It was suspended for a bit during the sequestration, but it's available again. The list of participating airlines keeps expanding as well