Fed ex crash in Tokyo

A

Adam

Did anyone see the video of the Fed ex crash this evening our time in Tokyo....it was on approach and well...it was a nasty landing...I mean crash...the MD-11 went up in flames....I also saw some post crash video and the landing gear was sticking straight up in the air...so the aircraft came to a rest inverted.

ATCtower

Epic Member
Oct 26, 2008
LOL @ that landing sadly...

Anyways yes I did, both pilots confirmed dead at the hospital. Looks like the pilot overused that elevator control.

6abc.com and Action News: Cargo plane crashes, burns on landing in Japan - 3/22/09 - Philadelphia News - 6abc.com
I would actually venture a thought that it is far more likely they encountered wind shear. NRT is a very difficult airport to land at when wind is present and has had a number of incidents due to LLWS. Just my guess, but there are other factors that could be in play (namely loading practices in China).

My $.02

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
I saw some smoke coming from the engines a second into the video too... could be engine failure and the pilot tried to compensate?
LOL @ that landing sadly...

Anyways yes I did, both pilots confirmed dead at the hospital. Winds were up to about 47 mph (40 knots). Looks like an inexperienced pilot landing that plane. It was landing on Narita's longest runway, plenty of time to set that bird down.
thats pretty offensive...lets put you in that situation and see what happens. speculation to that degree is just ridiculous. wait for the facts before blaming the pilots. i thought SM had more mature people...

anyhow...my thoughts are with the pilots, tailwinds and blueskies forever...

scott523

Dec 17, 2008
Philadelphia (Upper Darby), PA, USA
thats pretty offensive...lets put you in that situation and see what happens. speculation to that degree is just ridiculous. wait for the facts before blaming the pilots. i thought SM had more mature people...

anyhow...my thoughts are with the pilots, tailwinds and blueskies forever...
Okay yeah maybe that was a bit too much.

I'm actually anxious to see that facts, but it wouldn't hurt to guess the cause of it. I would've aborted the landing (easy for me to say not carrying precious cargo though..), unless the significant windsheer did send the plane back down to smash on the runway after the pilot tried pulling up.

Edit: Looked up previous MD-11 incidents.. a few were similar to this accident with the exception of wind shear.

Windsor

Newcomer
Feb 4, 2009
mke/msp
Okay yeah maybe that was a bit too much.

I'm actually anxious to see that facts, but it wouldn't hurt to guess the cause of it. I would've aborted the landing (easy for me to say not carrying precious cargo though..), unless the significant windsheer did send the plane back down to smash on the runway after the pilot tried pulling up.

Edit: Looked up previous MD-11 incidents.. a few were similar to this accident with the exception of wind shear.
Laughing at a fatal crash is more than "a bit too much" its reprehensible and ignorant. Have you ever flown an MD-11? Do you work for FedEx? Based on your comments, I know that you have no clue what its like to be in the cockpit. FedEx pilots are some of the most experienced pilots out flying today. For you to go spouting off about how the pilots were "inexperienced" and that you would have "aborted your landing" shows how ignorant you are. Leave the crash investigation to the experts and your smart @ss comments to yourself.

D

djmodifyd

Laughing at a fatal crash is more than "a bit too much" its reprehensible and ignorant. Have you ever flown an MD-11? Do you work for FedEx? Based on your comments, I know that you have no clue what its like to be in the cockpit. FedEx pilots are some of the most experienced pilots out flying today. For you to go spouting off about how the pilots were "inexperienced" and that you would have "aborted your landing" shows how ignorant you are. Leave the crash investigation to the experts and your smart @ss comments to yourself.
+1

fedex and UPS are BY FAR the most intelligent sounding pilots i talk to.

they do whatever i ask to help me out...and will go out of their way to help out in any way.