Felony As a Juvenille

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
I would certainly hope the FAA don't hire anyone with that kind of background. I don't care how sorry you are, or that you've turned your life around. That mother and son are not coming back. That mistake of yours should follow and haunt you for the rest of your life, and that's still not enough penalty for the two lives you took.
He served his time. If you have a problem it's with the courts.

KStoves

Aug 22, 2011
I would certainly hope the FAA don't hire anyone with that kind of background. I don't care how sorry you are, or that you've turned your life around. That mother and son are not coming back. That mistake of yours should follow and haunt you for the rest of your life, and that's still not enough penalty for the two lives you took.
More than likely there are plenty of controllers who drove intoxicated at some point in their life and were lucky and didn't crash. He unfortunately did crash. The crime is EXACTLY the same, except the people who didn't crash suffer no consequences. It sounds like he is now more responsible when it comes to using substances than a majority of controllers, because how many do you know that don't ever drink at all? The OP asked if we could keep the comments on topic and not grief him considering he has already given himself more grief than we ever could. Jax can't seem to follow directions, or be a team player, so I'd rather work with the OP than Jax for what it's worth.

that being said, getting hired is tough even with a perfect background. If you were asking if it would be worth it to go to school for this I would say definitely no. You don't have anything to lose by applying though and in the mean time follow the same advice we give everyone looking to be a controller... just keep on living life as if it's never gonna happen.

KStoves

Aug 22, 2011
You're right, I shouldn't even get into it. My apologies to Jax for throwing that in there. I like that these forums are usually drama free and just didn't see the need to berate the guy for asking a question

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
You're right, I shouldn't even get into it. My apologies to Jax for throwing that in there. I like that these forums are usually drama free and just didn't see the need to berate the guy for asking a question
I'm not berating him for asking a question. I simply stated that in my opinion, he got away easy, because a few years of jail for taking two lives is a joke. How would you feel if it was your wife and son he killed? He has no business being an air traffic controller and having other people's lives depending on his judgement ever again.

This has nothing to do about me being a team player or not. Like me or hate me, I've never killed anyone. not sure why you would twist that around to make me the bad guy here.

Our profession depends on our decision making and judgement being right 100% of the time. How can the agency trust somebody with that in their record? What would happen if after getting hired as a controller he is involved in any accident where there is loss of life? It is too high a liability risk to even consider the possibility of hiring him.

Reactions: Purplelobj

Bravo Delta

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2015
North Carolina
All I'll say is i know someone in the agency right now with a drug trafficking charge from when they were in high school. I would definitely still pursue this career.

Bravo Delta

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2015
North Carolina

Man, that's not helpful at all. You know that your virtue signaling also isn't going to bring that family back right?

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
Man, that's not helpful at all. You know that your virtue signaling also isn't going to bring that family back right?
Indeed, I'm not trying to be helpful to a convicted felon!

A very dear friend of mine lost his family to a drunk driver. I also happened to be on the Meadowbrook parkway headed home after 2hour holdover overtime from a 4x12 shift, seconds before this happened. That drunk driver narrowly missed me, and about a quarter mile later hit them. WRONG-WAY TRUCK HITS WEDDING LIMO. Flower girl, driver killed in DWI crash - NY Daily News

No, it ain't bringing that family back, but perhaps not hiring him can save another family. Hiring somebody with that record sends a clear signal that you can have a nice life, and a nice federal job, even if you get drunk and kill 2 people. No, no, and no. Some mistakes are for life. Taking a life should have a lifetime penalty of some sort. He has his freedom, and can go work that accounting job, or whatever else.

KStoves

Aug 22, 2011
Indeed, I'm not trying to be helpful to a convicted felon!

A very dear friend of mine lost his family to a drunk driver. I also happened to be on the Meadowbrook parkway headed home after 2hour holdover overtime from a 4x12 shift, seconds before this happened. That drunk driver narrowly missed me, and about a quarter mile later hit them. WRONG-WAY TRUCK HITS WEDDING LIMO. Flower girl, driver killed in DWI crash - NY Daily News

No, it ain't bringing that family back, but perhaps not hiring him can save another family. Hiring somebody with that record sends a clear signal that you can have a nice life, and a nice federal job, even if you get drunk and kill 2 people. No, no, and no. Some mistakes are for life. Taking a life should have a lifetime penalty of some sort. He has his freedom, and can go work that accounting job, or whatever else.
When I read your first response I just thought you were being negative. Now that you're expanding on what you originally said you're making sense

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
All I'll say is i know someone in the agency right now with a drug trafficking charge from when they were in high school. I would definitely still pursue this career.
Drug trafficking charge? A charge is one thing, a conviction another. You're innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The OP was convicted of a manslaughter felony DWI where two people lost their lives. You're comparing apples and oranges here.

Yes, we have a lot of people working with less than perfect records, but I doubt that there's any ATC anywhere in the FAA that got hired with prior felony manslaughter DWI convictions on their record.

nhstadt

Epic Member
Mar 24, 2011
south "Murica
I work with a guy who blew his pregnant wife's brains all over the wall behind the couch she was sitting in. He was charged with two counts of murder. But because there was not supporting evidence, he was found not guilty. And works as a cpc today. It was ruled a suicide even though he admitted to pulling the trigger on initial (non-recorded) police interview. So. Give it hell. Apply. Worst they could say is no.

oh and f u ck you for killing a family. (You asked to keep them to a minimum - so that's minimal. Good on you for growing up.)

Went to the academy with that cat. Odd dude too

MrHobbes

Newcomer
Sep 12, 2017
Hello so I ended up taking the test and did well on that. I decided to try and get a medical and since it was such a serious offense i was referred to an FAA psychiatrist and told it could cost a few grand to get my medical. I decided at this point the odds were too long to get this job. I ended up finishing my CPA and luckily their background check doesn’t cover juvenile offenses because I never disclosed it and was able to get certified by DOPL. At this point i am just moving on with my accounting career and let this be a cautionary tale to everyone. The pay is great but not quite the same as having my dream job. I had no proof of sobriety as i haven’t had random tests in years. The medical denied and i wasn’t even guaranteed to get one. Please don’t drink and drive.

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
Hello so I ended up taking the test and did well on that. I decided to try and get a medical and since it was such a serious offense i was referred to an FAA psychiatrist and told it could cost a few grand to get my medical. I decided at this point the odds were too long to get this job. I ended up finishing my CPA and luckily their background check doesn’t cover juvenile offenses because I never disclosed it and was able to get certified by DOPL. At this point i am just moving on with my accounting career and let this be a cautionary tale to everyone. The pay is great but not quite the same as having my dream job. I had no proof of sobriety as i haven’t had random tests in years. The medical denied and i wasn’t even guaranteed to get one. Please don’t drink and drive.
As I was the one that was most critical of you applying to ATC, I'll be the first to say good luck in your accounting career. Hopefully you can stay clean, and out of trouble for the rest of your life. I can sense that you are indeed remorseful. You can't bring them back, but you can help spread awareness about the consequences of drinking and driving. farewell!