Females in the Workplace

Newbie_01

Newcomer
Sep 20, 2013
California
Hello - I am a 28 yr old female and have been told that I should reconsider my desire to be an ATC. I was told this is more of a "man's environment" and that I will likely get harassed by the men and hated by the female controllers. Can anyone provide any feedback?

atcfris

Dec 7, 2012
20 years in this job, worked with females the entire time. Whoever told you that is full of it. Your life and career are what you make of it. Don't let anyone persuade you to not pursue something you want to do, based on your sex, thats absurd. Some of my best friends and best ATC'ers I know are females. The reason I am successful in this career field is due to the instructors and trainers I had early on, which some were females.

Newbie_01

Newcomer
Sep 20, 2013
California
Maybe it had a lot to do with their respective tower? There are mostly men up there and I think they tend to be very crude and lewd (from what I have been told). I am an attractive lady. I am not sure if they were trying to be helpful or if they felt threatened by my pursuit? Thank you for the encouragement!

Wrooster

Jun 22, 2008
Hers's the thing you have to know about ATC, most controllers are severe type A personalities, so we can be a little rough for some people to take. That is sometimes misinterpreted as sexist or grough, when in reality all we are trying to do is make sure the guy or gal working next to us can handle pressure, that and there is a lot of down time and when you mix a lot of controllers together and we're bored we tend to challenge each other, not physically but mentally. This again and be misinterpeted, so if you have a thin skin or are easily offended then you may be in for a long 8 hours a day. If you thrive on this, male or female then...welcome aboard, you have found the one job that will serve your Type A, smart ass, narcassistic personality, then all you have to do is figure out weather or not you have the ability to supress your emotions, and leave your feelings at the door and do a very fun and rewarding job.

rooster

Trusted Contributor
Sep 6, 2009
Western Hemipshere
Hers's the thing you have to know about ATC, most controllers are severe type A personalities, so we can be a little rough for some people to take. That is sometimes misinterpreted as sexist or rough, when in reality all we are trying to do is make sure the guy or gal working next to us can handle pressure, that and there is a lot of down time and when you mix a lot of controllers together and we're bored we tend to challenge each other, not physically but mentally. This again and be misinterpeted, so if you have a thin skin or are easily offended then you may be in for a long 8 hours a day. If you thrive on this, male or female then...welcome aboard, you have found the one job that will serve your Type A, smart ass, narcassistic personality, then all you have to do is figure out weather or not you have the ability to supress your emotions, and leave your feelings at the door and do a very fun and rewarding job.
And if you can't...go back to the damn kitchen...

SouthBeachLivin

Sep 14, 2013
South Florida
harassed? no more than any other career field. it doesn't matter how 'attractive' you are, if you cant move planes you'll be looking for a new job (or be promoted to management)

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA
The dude was probably one of the older ATCers out there. They used to be just about all military which obviously meant they were 95% dudes. So it was a man's game. Now in the past 5-7 years with the hiring boom its more like 33-40% women.

In this career you are judged constantly. And I'm not talking about your ATC talent alone. Everyone knows your secrets, like why you took leave or something wrong medically or who got drunk and hooked up with who, etc.

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
We are in dire need of the attractive female controller type, so please do not let them stop you, and please apply for N90.

ATCtower

Epic Member
Oct 26, 2008
Hers's the thing you have to know about ATC, most controllers are severe type A personalities, so we can be a little rough for some people to take. That is sometimes misinterpreted as sexist or grough, when in reality all we are trying to do is make sure the guy or gal working next to us can handle pressure, that and there is a lot of down time and when you mix a lot of controllers together and we're bored we tend to challenge each other, not physically but mentally. This again and be misinterpeted, so if you have a thin skin or are easily offended then you may be in for a long 8 hours a day. If you thrive on this, male or female then...welcome aboard, you have found the one job that will serve your Type A, smart ass, narcassistic personality, then all you have to do is figure out weather or not you have the ability to supress your emotions, and leave your feelings at the door and do a very fun and rewarding job.
I dont post on here much anymore but will tell you this is the BEST advice you can possibly receive and nails it to a tee... This is not a job for thin skinned wimps who cant take criticism, this is a job where you need the ego to know youre the best, the balls to back it up, and the humility to take criticism well and LEARN/IMPROVE from it. If you cant accept ALL 3 of these, you are in the wrong field. Period. Sorry.

TAJ

Trusted Contributor
May 16, 2010
I dont post on here much anymore but will tell you this is the BEST advice you can possibly receive and nails it to a tee... This is not a job for thin skinned wimps who cant take criticism, this is a job where you need the ego to know youre the best, the balls to back it up, and the humility to take criticism well and LEARN/IMPROVE from it. If you cant accept ALL 3 of these, you are in the wrong field. Period. Sorry.
Those seem quite contradictory... If you're the best, why are you listening to other people? They obviously don't know as much as you because you're so hot shit. Also, balls being a requirement seems to add a layer of complication for any prospective female applicants.

tinkluver

Rookie
Jun 11, 2009
I am also a 28 year old female controller. (I also consider myself...attractive :p) Been in for 3 years. There is only one other female at my tower, who is 43 (?) and she is definitely not used to other females and is a witch. She is the only problem I have at work. Yes, the men joke around a lot, but we both say s&*( too and everyone gets along. Except when she is in a mood. Some of the guys I work with are more prissy. The only thing I hate is that the pilots always assume I am her on frequency even though we sound nothing alike.
If you can do the job, do it. Just because you're a female doesn't mean you can't. Not being able to work traffic means you can't.