Finances and Security Clearance

Chandu

Newcomer
Jan 29, 2016
I was told two weeks ago that my security investigation report was ready to be reviewed, and I would be contacted soon. Today I was asked about a delinquent account in my credit history. Without revealing too much personal info, I was told that “the financial threshold for the atc position is $7500.” I owe more (way more) than this for a student loan taken out almost 10 years ago. I was told my information would be passed on to OKC. Does anyone know if this is immediate grounds for denial of a security clearance? Does it factor in that it’s a (private) student loan? I asked how soon I would be updated, security contact said she didn’t know, maybe 60-90 days, but I’m pretty sure that was a guess. Any info would be appreciated. If anyone is watching the cubs in Chicago, pm me and come to my bar, I got the first beer. (I tend bar in wrigley).

ambers1032

Senior Analyst
Jan 5, 2010
You can have 100k in student loans it matters if its delinquent or current. If you're delinquent, you're in trouble.

Chandu

Newcomer
Jan 29, 2016
Can you be more specific? I’m in trouble as in it is grounds for denial, will I be asked about this in more detail later? Honestly if I don’t get it, I’m ok, I just want to know if I should plan my life around not getting it. They tend to string me along.

ambers1032

Senior Analyst
Jan 5, 2010
Like I said, if you're delinquent in student loans you will not be getting a clearance. If you are current then yes you should get one.

IamDavid

Newcomer
Oct 3, 2017
I've read a few threads with lots of information regarding this. Simply search and you can find them. But to reiterate the other similar threads, If you are delinquent, my suggestion is to start taking action asap and take steps to work on getting this delinquent in order. From what I've read in the other threads, as long as you are making a real attempt to resolve the issue, then you should be okay. Regardless if it is some sort of debt repayment program etc, show them that you are taking an effort to pay it back. And I would go even further and be proactive and reach out to your security poc and let them know of such action.

Babs85

Nov 9, 2016
PIT
I was held up on my security clearance because of mycredit report. They said I would have to do the interview with theinvestigator. Whatever debts I had, I immediately contacted the companies andstarted payment plans and received documentation of our agreements. Mostof the plans I set up were just $5 monthly payments. What they are lookingfor is YOUR attempt to settle your debt. Contact your student loan provider andset up a repayment plan and get the documentation and any proof of payments.You should be good to go once you get all of that.

Xenon

Aug 1, 2011
I had my security interview this week and I eval tomorrow for enroute. The guy brought up a collections agency I know nothing about that has a ZERO balance!

Nathan87

Newcomer
Nov 13, 2017
las vegas
has anyone cleared yet? i have some medical bills and school loans i am delinquent on (was). i was told to mitigate any concerns to show proof of payment plans and first payments. i submitted those this morning. total is about 4000. has anyone else delt with this. one of the accounts would not set up payment plans but i did give them a first payment

Babs85

Nov 9, 2016
PIT
You will be good to go then. I had debt that I had to setpayment plans on and even one that didn’t give me documentation but I showed aprocessed check that they accepted and I cleared. Make sure you show proof ofpayment on that account that did not set up a payment plan.

Jayfay

Rookie
Apr 16, 2017
It’s troubling that so many people don’t set up a payment plan as soon as their student loans go into repayment.

Jayfay

Rookie
Apr 16, 2017
Are you really that worried and bothered by it?
Yes, it’s irresponsible. Especially when there are multiple different avenues to avoid delinquency. Student loan debt follows you forever, there is no avoiding it, forgiveness, you can’t even claim bankruptcy.
Be an adult and pay your loans back.

Babs85

Nov 9, 2016
PIT
Yes, it’s irresponsible. Especially when there are multiple different avenues to avoid delinquency. Student loan debt follows you forever, there is no avoiding it, forgiveness, you can’t even claim bankruptcy.
Be an adult and pay your loans back.
It's not your problem, it's theirs. Are you now losing sleep over this?

Jayfay

Rookie
Apr 16, 2017
It's not your problem, it's theirs. Are you now losing sleep over this?
Not even a second. I sleep soundly knowing I paid every red cent of my student loans myself. I didn’t become a dirtbag and expect my problems to go away.

Jayfay

Rookie
Apr 16, 2017
More or less i am hoping people learn grom others mistakes. that this is actually costing them their livlyhood because they were to irresponsible to repay something that they new without a doubt needed to be repaid.

Jayfay

Rookie
Apr 16, 2017
Everyone has a different circumstance. You sound like a sanctimonious asshole
Really? So all of a sudden when Said persons livelyhood is at risk, now the circumstances are different? Now they’re ready to start paying loans and collection agencies? These types of thing are completely preventable.

rumblr224

May 9, 2016
Really? So all of a sudden when Said persons livelyhood is at risk, now the circumstances are different? Now they’re ready to start paying loans and collection agencies? These types of thing are completely preventable.
Jesus dude, except when they aren’t. In 2011 I️ was hospitalized without health insurance and immediately I️ was in debt. You know why I️ didn’t have insurance? Because I️ was a student with barely any income and NO one to help me.

Sometimes things happen that we are not in a situation to prevent or fix even if we intend to do so later.

Good luck to you in your journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk