Financial Problems and Clearance

Docta_Phil

Newcomer
Jan 28, 2014
I was separated from the Air Force in 2012. After separation I had trouble finding employment and with a daughter on the way I had to default on a few items. I've recently hired a credit repair company that is helping me take care of what I need to. Anyone know if this will prevent me from acquiring a clearance for a terminal position? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Zedd

Oct 29, 2012
How were your "separated" from the air force? I would think that would have more of an impact than your financials.

Aferggy

Trusted Contributor
Feb 8, 2014
TimbucTOOOOOO
I was separated from the Air Force in 2012. After separation I had trouble finding employment and with a daughter on the way I had to default on a few items. I've recently hired a credit repair company that is helping me take care of what I need to. Anyone know if this will prevent me from acquiring a clearance for a terminal position? Any help is greatly appreciated.
It will affect getting a clearance; however, when you give your SOR (Statement of Reasoning) just state what happened and how you're fixing it along with proof that your taking care of it and you should be good.

chkwheelsdwn

Jun 8, 2009
Osan AFB, Korea
I had a ton of posts on here about bad credit. I was incredibly nervous about not getting a clearance. Most of my bad credit was from having to have surgery without medical insurance and I couldn't afford the 30k of bills the hospital gave me. As long as you write down what happened and what your doing to fix the problem you should be able to get a clearance. Now if you tell them you don't care about your debt and have attempted nothing to fix it then you may have some issues. Remember just do not lie or try to hide any bills.

Aferggy

Trusted Contributor
Feb 8, 2014
TimbucTOOOOOO
I am delinquent on a few student loans and credit score is bad. I am on a forbearance on the delinquent loans wil this affect me getting a clearance?
BINGO!

I had a ton of posts on here about bad credit. I was incredibly nervous about not getting a clearance. Most of my bad credit was from having to have surgery without medical insurance and I couldn't afford the 30k of bills the hospital gave me. As long as you write down what happened and what your doing to fix the problem you should be able to get a clearance. Now if you tell them you don't care about your debt and have attempted nothing to fix it then you may have some issues. Remember just do not lie or try to hide any bills.

Docta_Phil

Newcomer
Jan 28, 2014
Awesome. Thanks everyone for the info. I finally am in a spot where I can begin fixing everything so it's good to hear all that.