Flight Service

muggsy

Rookie
Apr 15, 2015
I think somewhere in the application it says a Class III medical is required. My Class II just expired but it was nowhere near as stringent as a Class I.
I had a 2nd class medical a long time ago but I haven't flown in quite a long time (i.e. years). It's not my job and it's a bit of an expensive hobby.

So let me ask you this, are Class I, Class II, etc. medicals equivalent to the medicals pilots are required to get (1st class = Class I, 2nd class = Class 2, etc.) or is the medical ATC specific? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question, I'm just not intimately familiar with the ATC side of things.

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
Ass deep in a folding chair
I had a 2nd class medical a long time ago but I've been out of the flying game for a while now. It's not my job and it's a bit of an expensive hobby.

So let me ask you this, are Class I, Class II, etc. medicals equivalent to the medicals pilots are required to get (1st class = Class I, 2nd class = Class 2, etc.) or is the medical ATC specific? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question, I'm just not intimately familiar with the ATC side of things.
same thing

DontCallMeShirley

Senior Analyst
Mar 31, 2012
Pushing Tin SUCKS
I had a 2nd class medical a long time ago but I've been out of the flying game for a while now. It's not my job and it's a bit of an expensive hobby.

So let me ask you this, are Class I, Class II, etc. medicals equivalent to the medicals pilots are required to get (1st class, 2nd class, etc.) or is the medical ATC specific? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question, I'm just not intimately familiar with the ATC side of aviation.
The medicals should be the same standards for both pilots and controllers. For example, when I was training for my CTO in the tower during school, I had the same Class II medical that I was using to get my private pilot certificate. And medicals allow for someone with say, a Class I, to operate with all of the privileges that a Class II and III would have.

I think there's a passage in the FAR/AIM somewhere that breaks down how long each is valid, and what they allow for. Interestingly, the LockMart posting only says candidates must be able to maintain Class III standards, but not actually hold a Class III medical.

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
Ass deep in a folding chair
The medicals should be the same standards for both pilots and controllers. For example, when I was training for my CTO in the tower during school, I had the same Class II medical that I was using to get my private pilot certificate. And medicals allow for someone with say, a Class I, to operate with all of the privileges that a Class II and III would have.

I think there's a passage in the FAR/AIM somewhere that breaks down how long each is valid, and what they allow for. Interestingly, the LockMart posting only says candidates must be able to maintain Class III standards, but not actually hold a Class III medical.
1st is 6 months, 2nd is year, 3rd is 3 years IIRC

DontCallMeShirley

Senior Analyst
Mar 31, 2012
Pushing Tin SUCKS
Does anyone know if there is a way to go back in and edit their job profile with Lockheed? I thought my cover letter was flawless until I went back and saw I put "Locleed Martin" in the address at the very top. Worst case scenario I just resubmit everything.

muggsy

Rookie
Apr 15, 2015
same thing
Thanks!

Yeah the rules can get kinda screwy sometimes. Last I knew, you didn't need a medical to say fly a light sport aircraft but if you've ever been denied one then that DQ's you (unless that's since changed).

Heck, I didn't even write a cover letter so you've got that over me.

DontCallMeShirley

Senior Analyst
Mar 31, 2012
Pushing Tin SUCKS
Heck, I didn't even write a cover letter so you've got that over me.
Went back and fixed it thankfully. I've never really had a cover letter make or break an application, but I wouldn't want to risk it. Especially when everything is damn near flawless, minus the companies name haha. I think you can even submit a cover letter after you've applied since it's tied to your job profile.

muggsy

Rookie
Apr 15, 2015
So I'm going to be that guy, but for anyone that's gone through the process how long did it take to find out if/when you got an interview after you applied?

Dec 22, 2013
So I just looked on LM's site to see if the job posting was still up, and it wasn't there. Anyone hear anything about interviews?

muggsy

Rookie
Apr 15, 2015
You sure? It isn't coming up for me.
Well, I wouldn't swear my life on it but my login page says the job is still open and when I entered "flight service" in the general search bar it comes up on the second page. That's what it shows on my computer anyway.

Dec 22, 2013
That's really weird because I cant find it at all. I searched the Req. ID number, and "Flight Service" in the keywords box, and I got nothing.

Dec 22, 2013
OH ok I got it. On my LM profile search it doesn't come up, but if you just search under the "quick job search" then it pops up.

Dec 22, 2013
Its not up. I guess the system is just lagging behind. I went to click "submit for this job" and it took me to another screen that said something like this position is expired or already been filled.

muggsy

Rookie
Apr 15, 2015
Ah, ok. That actually happened to me a while back when I tried to apply for a position. From what I've seen the postings for those jobs seem to be pretty sporadic so I just made it a point to check once or twice a week until I was able to submit an application to one.