Flight strips information

DOD_ATC

Jun 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
Re: Flight strips..

The .65 is really the best place to look for general flight progress strip information. Each facility will have it's own facility specific strip marking procedures which you will be required to learn once there.

SOCOM

Rookie
Nov 4, 2008

i hate flight strips....

they're not really using them at the ATRCC's anymore, since everything is becoming "modernized", right ?

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com

i hate flight strips....

they're not really using them at the ATRCC's anymore, since everything is becoming "modernized", right ?
well URET has taken the place of automated strips. u still have to keep manual strips.

anywhere u would issue an approach clearance or a departure clearance. the high sectors obviously won't use strips, but most (probably all) low sectors do for some of their traffic.

SOCOM

Rookie
Nov 4, 2008

i just wanted some basic knowledge of them since i hear you have to go over them once at the academy - just preparing myself so it doesn't all hit me at once. tryin not to ask my father (former ATC) too much

found this just now:

SOCOM

Rookie
Nov 4, 2008

If you are learning that fs, then i hope you are going to terminal.
oops i copied the wrong one. had a few of them pulled up in different tabs. meant this one :

for en-route

SOCOM

Rookie
Nov 4, 2008

you will go over then im class and learn all you need to
i just want to have a basic understanding of things before i go in so i'm not swamped :) - this way i can go chase tail around town all night instead of studying.....haha j/k

Centerpuke

Sep 22, 2008
HOT-LANTA

Seriously! Strips are going to be the least of your problems. You will see so many of them, you will want to take the strip printer outside and go "Office Space" on it's a**!

Dale

Jun 19, 2008
Uniondale, Indiana

Seriously! Strips are going to be the least of your problems. You will see so many of them, you will want to take the strip printer outside and go "Office Space" on it's a**!
LOL! :rotf: I used to maintain the old, old flight strip printers. They were the old IBM Selectric rotating ball printers that were a nightmare.

Long story told short, when we finally replaced that old IBM system, I took one of them and dropped it from the top of the Tower. Good riddance to IBM.

:goldwing:

Shyu

Jul 24, 2008
www.stuckmic.com

Personally, I don't think you need to even look at anything before you get here unless you want to learn the map first. I learned flight strips pretty fast, and so did my class. It wasn't too hard of a subject. The only thing you will need to really know is what goes where, and those aren't the numbers for the blocks, exp. block 3 = aircraft id, block 4= aircraft type, ect ect. But even still, it isn't that hard. The map, eh, it wasn't too bad either. 4-5 days of light studying the map and you should know it pretty good.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com

LOL! :rotf: I used to maintain the old, old flight strip printers. They were the old IBM Selectric rotating ball printers that were a nightmare.

Long story told short, when we finally replaced that old IBM system, I took one of them and dropped it from the top of the Tower. Good riddance to IBM.

LOL :rotf:
i can remember going from the old stancil recorders to the DVRS and chucking the old stancil reels off the tower cab catwalk. we held one end of the tape and let it unravel while it fell. what an explosion when it hit the ground.

ATCs1222

Oct 14, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

They still teach it to you just in case the radar goes down, so u still have the information on the strips. But when you get to your ARTCC facility, you'll deal with mostly URET and ATOP for oceanic. However, i personally prefer the strips, i guess i'm used to it.

SRQ

Jul 25, 2008
Sarasota/Indianapolis

Do you remember the File II strip prep?

JMT

Rookie
Nov 9, 2008
zau

I was told that URET training was pulled in OKC. Does anyone know if that's true?