Fort Worth Center - ZFW

almcc26

Newcomer
Nov 4, 2008
dallas,tx
Can anyone tell me about training at the ZFW facility after the academy? Do we start on administrative hours first? How is the staff there?

rudderless

Newcomer
Apr 23, 2009
arlington, tx
training staff at ZFW is all retired ZFW controllers/supervisors, some very newly retired. trainees can expect 1-4 months of 7-3 shifts while doing initial classwork for D-side training, then approx 12-16 months of d-side training, then 1-2 month radar class (depending on size of class), then 12-20 months of r-side training to FPL or CPC. d-side is data controller or radar assistant, r-side is radar controller.
Having said all that, ERAM (the hardware and software replacement for our current radar display computers) is coming and once we start training the current workforce in ERAM and making the transition all developmentals will be frozen while that takes place. There is 1 week of training for each employee, so we are talking roughly 1 year to transition the workforce from HOST system to ERAM.

csmcfadden

Newcomer
May 5, 2010
No! Some areas are over staffed while other areas are close to staffing. The rumor on the street is that we stopped requesting new people because of our current CPC/FPL and all of our trainees. Sorry so late on the post, but this is also for all that follow.

PopoySD

Jul 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA
Looking for some info on ZFW. How does everyone like working there?
i currently work at zfw...we've gone quite a way since we did away with the white book. we have a good group of people and the union will go out of its way to help its members out. it's a level 12 facility but traffic is down like most other facilities so right now is the best time to train (more time going over stuff while in sector instead of waiting until debrief where you forget some things). dallas & ft worth are both good areas and cost of living is pretty decent. the area i work in looks pretty staffed and we have a bunch of trainees...i'm not sure about the other areas. i'm not sure what kind of specific info you're looking for...but if you have any more questions feel free to post away here or send me a message either way.

GoTigersGo

Rookie
Aug 5, 2009
ZME
Anybody on here been at ZFW for awhile? I'm currently at ZJX and thinking about a transfer. Is it difficult to get to the center with traffic? And how is morale?

nyatc

Newcomer
Nov 24, 2010
Texas
I just got the interview email for zfw and was wondering what the average time of check out was and when you get to the facility do u start at D1 pay or stay at AG for an amount of time

jackieo

Rookie
Apr 13, 2010
There is 1 week of training for each employee, so we are talking roughly 1 year to transition the workforce from HOST system to ERAM.
How was the transition to ERAM? I am interviewing for that facility. How many developmentals are there now? Would you know or can you find out how many people are waiting for a class date to get to OKC for ZFW? Thanks

KiloLima

Newcomer
Jul 22, 2009
^^^^BUMP^^^^

What's the staffing like there right now? Are there a lot of people in training? How long has it been taking for people to CPC?
Any info on ZFW would be greatly appreciated :)

PopoySD

Jul 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA
here's the ZFW Union President's email: paullastrapes@gmail.com

I'm sure he'll be happy to help with any questions.

As far as staffing, I can only speak for my area...we're losing quite a few people this year because we have a few retiring, and a few transferring out including myself. So they'll be hurting, we're supposed to get 3 D-side trainees within the next month or so from upstairs (training dept.). We are doing some area re-alignment, and I think 3 out of the 6 areas are getting/losing sectors...Our area (BYP) is losing 2 slow sectors & gaining 2 busy sectors, we were told our area is going to be working roughly 1/3 of ZFW's traffic once this happens.

Average time to make CPC is around 2 yrs. from what I've seen.

I hope that helps...I'll try and provide more info if I can.

Atc_pilot7

Jun 22, 2011
REGGieSD:207635 said:
here's the ZFW Union President's email: paullastrapes@gmail.com

I'm sure he'll be happy to help with any questions.

As far as staffing, I can only speak for my area...we're losing quite a few people this year because we have a few retiring, and a few transferring out including myself. So they'll be hurting, we're supposed to get 3 D-side trainees within the next month or so from upstairs (training dept.). We are doing some area re-alignment, and I think 3 out of the 6 areas are getting/losing sectors...Our area (BYP) is losing 2 slow sectors & gaining 2 busy sectors, we were told our area is going to be working roughly 1/3 of ZFW's traffic once this happens.

Average time to make CPC is around 2 yrs. from what I've seen.

I hope that helps...I'll try and provide more info if I can.
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it...as I'm sure others do too. Anything else you hear, feel free to pass on. I know there's atleast a few of us here that are anxiously waiting to get to zfw..

irishatc

Jun 20, 2008
I know we are supposed to have 24-26 new hires this year.

edit: but they all keep washing out of the academy

Last edited: