Frustration by FAA canceling class date

Eric_24

Rookie
Jan 1, 2009
Dallas Tx
Re: Frustration...

Just got another call from LH saying that they won't approve my re-direct. FML. Why can't I just get a straight answer from these people?!

That sucks man, I got an FOL for aug 3 havent heard anything about canceling yet.....keeping my fingers crossed

SdN

Mar 23, 2010

Dang man I'm sorry to hear about your horrible luck. I'm another 'lowly' OTSer who's waiting on a class date. I was told sometime FY 2012 was a good bet which is an improvement from the FY 2013 I was originally told. Good luck to you bro!

zero708970

Rookie
Nov 25, 2010
Los Angeles
www.facebook.com

So later I got another call, this time from a higher up, she told me that she came up with a solution that her higher ups liked, it would let me go to ZLA and go to OKC on the 3rd...now she needs to get approval from her higher ups....she said she was confident that it would go through but will find out for sure Monday....and the wait in limbo continues....lol LH even said to me "man, if I were you I'd be hittin the bottle pretty hard"

Towns2dd

Trusted Contributor
Jan 20, 2010

So later I got another call, this time from a higher up, she told me that she came up with a solution that her higher ups liked, it would let me go to ZLA and go to OKC on the 3rd...now she needs to get approval from her higher ups....she said she was confident that it would go through but will find out for sure Monday....and the wait in limbo continues....lol LH even said to me "man, if I were you I'd be hittin the bottle pretty hard"
Your situation is affected by the budget crisis in Washington.

jtomes

Mar 30, 2010
Memphis TN

Your situation is affected by the budget crisis in Washington.
how do you rationalize that he's still going to the academy just to a different place now... that doesn't seem like a budget problem. if it was he wouldn't be going anywhere

aaronavtr

Trusted Contributor
Sep 26, 2009
Northeast U.S.

I wonder if this was the outcome for everyone else slated to go to the class that was cancelled.

Either way...this just goes to show that NOTHING is for sure I guess until you actually arrive at okc.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X

how do you rationalize that he's still going to the academy just to a different place now... that doesn't seem like a budget problem. if it was he wouldn't be going anywhere
He could be right. It puts a lot on HR's plate. Makes it hard for them to coordinate because they have to be busy getting stuff ready in case of an indefinite furlough. At the least, it isn't helping things out any.

wilme861

May 20, 2009

The budget issue won't be affecting anything for controllers currently at the academy. The whole department is already budgeted so things will continue on as normal. Not sure what that means for people that aren't here yet though. Just know for sure that classes currently running won't be affected in any way.

Both facilities have a LOT of people at the academy right now. ZOA has almost 30 people training at the academy right now last I heard. ZLA also has a good number of people. Hope it all works out for you and you get to OKC in the next couple of weeks.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
There is no budget crisis unless your talking about the fact they have not had a budget to work off of for over two years.

kindaradley

Rookie
Mar 9, 2011
Middle of nowhere
Just be glad you didn't get the call that your class was cancelled less than 36 hours from the day you were to report (having quit your job, etc)... or for some of us traveling from the coasts, get the call when they were at the BORDER of Oklahoma!!! We would have loved to have had a couple of weeks notice so we could have prepared for our "cancelled" class!! We got lucky and we got to get sworn in, and that was 3 1/2 months ago!! We do our evals in 2 weeks!!

Thank God for NATCA!!

jtomes

Mar 30, 2010
Memphis TN
Just be glad you didn't get the call that your class was cancelled less than 36 hours from the day you were to report (having quit your job, etc)... or for some of us traveling from the coasts, get the call when they were at the BORDER of Oklahoma!!! We would have loved to have had a couple of weeks notice so we could have prepared for our "cancelled" class!! We got lucky and we got to get sworn in, and that was 3 1/2 months ago!! We do our evals in 2 weeks!!

Thank God for NATCA!!
I was down there at the time of that going on and I'm just curious about what NATCA actually did for you guys, don't get me wrong I think NATCA does great things but the reason you guys were cancelled on a friday and started on the next monday was because of the potential government shut down...? just confused.

kindaradley

Rookie
Mar 9, 2011
Middle of nowhere
I was down there at the time of that going on and I'm just curious about what NATCA actually did for you guys, don't get me wrong I think NATCA does great things but the reason you guys were cancelled on a friday and started on the next monday was because of the potential government shut down...? just confused.
Basically, yes. The potential shutdown was suppose to happen on that Friday, but not until midnight... however, the Academy decided to just go ahead and cancel us rather than get us down here for the one day and then push us back "until further notice". However, half of us had already arrived within 48 hours prior to the class starting, and we got called 36 hours before we were to report that they were canceling the class. Our gripe was that there was funding for us to get in the first day, get sworn in, and become employees. We had all quit our previous jobs that we couldn't really get back to, and some of us had moved out of our previous residence that we couldn't move back to. 3 of us went to the NATCA meet and greet and spoke to Victor (I believe was his name)- the southeast area president and he got in touch with Paul, who talked to Randy Babbit, who didn't realize that this had happened and OK'd our class to start on it's original date and we were to "be furloughed with the rest if it were to happen". 7 out of the 9 of us started on that Friday and got sworn in... however 2 of us got called in time to be told to "not come"- those two were sworn in at local centers though and reported that Monday, and we started class that day and made it up pretty quick.