Ft Rucker

ID10T

Newcomer
Jul 27, 2013
Oklahohma (IT SUCKS)
Hey guys, anybody applying for Ft Rucker? Anybody ever control there,how was it? They make it sound like its some craziness. I did a simple google search and found where this same job posted 4 times last year and ever time it had a different number of approaches. Not by 1 or 2 but where it started at 25 now its up to 65 instrument [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, san-serif]approaches[/FONT], sounds like somebody is trying to fluff a little bit, but i've never been there and know nothing about. GS-13 sounds nice though.. https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/348105100

SkylinesSuck

Trusted Contributor
Sep 4, 2009
asleep at work
I have *heard* they have a bunch of satellite airports they control and that's the reason for the crazy number of approaches and traffic count. I have also heard it's no joke busy though due to a butt load of helicopter training. That was all from an AF DoD controller who worked at Eglin? and had some friends working at Rucker, so I guess that's like 3rd hand knowledge lol. Anyways, take it FWIW.

FoggyWindow

Trusted Contributor
Feb 18, 2011
Los Santos Intl Airport
I used to teach at the Army ATC schoolhouse there. I havent see the posting but I assume its for Cairns Approach. The work some pretty busy traffic there. Its a tough facility to get into but once you do, you make some good money in a low cost of living area. The Army's flight school is there so to complicate things all your traffic is student pilots.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
That's not awful. Wife might kick my ass if I make her move to Alabama. Tossed my hat in the ring anyways....

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
The guy I know who works there lives in Dothan. I guess it has it's nice areas? Cheap cost of living anyway. About 90 minutes from the beaches at PCB.

atcfris

Dec 7, 2012
I work with two guys who went there and both washed out, decent controllers both with AC experience, one Army and one AF. They both said it was crazy busy and and very complex.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
I've got 6 years AT10 TRACON time at a complex FAA TRACON. Not too worried about that part. I'd welcome being busy again, I'm super bored where I am now.

FoggyWindow

Trusted Contributor
Feb 18, 2011
Los Santos Intl Airport
I think part of the reason people wash out there is because they come from a fairly average (slower) tower to Cairns app and arent used to that level of traffic. Its easy to be a good, capable controller in a typical VFR tower. One of those guys gets a job at Cairns app because they know somebody there who puts in a word for them and then they get hit with complex airspace and busy busy traffic and get overwhelmed. They need to stop hiring bro's of bro's and start basing it on resume's. I would bet that they'd have significantly lower washout rates.

Reactions: jamisjockey