Full Route Clearance Phraseology - Use of "Via" and "Direct"

WolfHunter1043

Newcomer
Aug 13, 2017
Been a controller for 9 years both AF and FAA. Always worked at tower facilities so don't have radar experience. When I was first trained I was told when reading a full route to use via between J and V routes and then direct between fixes. Another trainer and I were discussing it and he said it's not required so he just reads the fixes. In the 7110 is discusses cleared direct in 4-2-5 a3 but his argument is its in reference to a previously issued clearance which in theory hasn't been giving yet. 4-4-1 c3 doesn't seem to work either because it gives "after FIX proceed direct FIX" and I don't think anyone gives a full route that way. So my question is how do you read a full route? Do you have black and white or black and grey proof why it should be that way? This is how I was trained and have done it, maybe something changed?

Route reads (all made up)

KMAN CLEAR1 SNCLR AVB V182 ACT KDAY

I would read,

Cleared to Dayton airport via the clear 1 departure, Sinclair transition, direct alpha victor brovo, via victor 182, direct alpha charlie tango, direct the airport.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Assuming CLEAR1 SNCLR is Clear 1, Sinclair transition like you used:
Cleared to Dayton airport via clear 1 departure, sinclair transition, alpha victor bravo, victor 182, waco, direct. Maintain....

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Been a controller for 9 years both AF and FAA. Always worked at tower facilities so don't have radar experience. When I was first trained I was told when reading a full route to use via between J and V routes and then direct between fixes. Another trainer and I were discussing it and he said it's not required so he just reads the fixes. In the 7110 is discusses cleared direct in 4-2-5 a3 but his argument is its in reference to a previously issued clearance which in theory hasn't been giving yet. 4-4-1 c3 doesn't seem to work either because it gives "after FIX proceed direct FIX" and I don't think anyone gives a full route that way. So my question is how do you read a full route? Do you have black and white or black and grey proof why it should be that way? This is how I was trained and have done it, maybe something changed?

Route reads (all made up)

KMAN CLEAR1 SNCLR AVB V182 ACT KDAY

I would read,

Cleared to Dayton airport via the clear 1 departure, Sinclair transition, direct alpha victor brovo, via victor 182, direct alpha charlie tango, direct the airport.
the way you put it in your example you’re telling them to go direct AVB via V182. Stingers example above is correcf