Funny Stories While Plugged In

slater

Epic Member
Oct 16, 2009
Outside your window
Ok so, I wanted to see if anyone has any funny stories they want to share while being plugged in. I've heard some and been involved in a few. There is one in particular that every time it comes to mind, I can't help but still laugh. Perhaps one of those situations you needed to be there to get the full effect but I'll try to explain on a tiny screen smart phone so try to stay with me.....

So, there was a time, I was plugged in as the radar supervisor on position. The way the floor was setup, the SUP was positioned in a taller chair about 2-3 feet behind the main sector controller, the trainer, assistant controller and flight data. These positions all sat in shorter chairs that created an over-the-shoulder effect for the SUP. Might I add, all positions where an arms reach from the RADAR SUP. The room was dark.

It was a rather busy day with a carrier fly off, moderatly mixed off shore civilian aircraft, countless visiting flights of four and a tour of the watch floor was about to begin. It was busy and the tone of the room was busy and quite serious in nature as the trainee on sector was struggling.

This is when everything went from bad to much worse. See, I had the smart idea to bring a 20oz coke to keep me company. It was allowed at the time. As I settled into position for the next couple hours, I took a swig of my cola and was in inturrputed by a trainee letting me know the tour was about to enter the watch floor. As a hurried to take another sizable swig of cola to hold me over. That moment I finished the door swings open and in comes about 10 people. Have you ever taken a drink of anything and it entered the wrong pipe? Yea, so.. I rushed to finish but it was too late, I could feel the tingle brewing with a mouth full of cold bubbly coke. My nose choked up and suddenly my airway was completely blocked. I fought with everything I had inside me to hold the inevitable back. It was too late, as I choked for air, my breath was short lived by a sudden sneeze and cough at the same time. I asked myself if I really did the unimaginable? Affirmative, I had just sneezed coke, sprayed like a rainbird and blasted a perfectly distributed mist of ice cold soda all over the backs and necks of my training sector controller, his scope, monitor, shout lines, assistant controller and flight data. In one shot, I took the entire team out and did so, right in front of complete strangers on a tour! I was so embarassed but couldn't leave. No one could leave! We were doomed to our chairs in a sticky mess and I was my fault. No one to share the blame or point fingers. Just me, myself and my coke bottle in hand as evidence.

I immediately focused on the look of horror displayed the trainees face (priceless WTF just happened) and of the watch team all staring back at me with a genuine blinks of confusion. He obviously hadn't been trained to navigate the spots of coke on his screen, I mean why should he have been? To them, being suddenly assulted by an unknown, cold, dark and sticky substance had to be the last thing anyone was trained for. The scope had droplets of coke splashed across the scope and the flight strips had little cola droplet impressions as well. Sticky keyboards for everyone. It was busy, they couldn't move, couldn't even get up or scream in disgust. The tour was in full swing and thier faces glowed in amusement as they tried to hold back the laughter of what they had just witnessed and I am sure that was a tour for the books. I rushed to the main desk to grab some old fast food napkins and handed them out feverishly as I continued whispering my apologies.. Magically, they keep moving traffic perfectly almost as if the coke contained the ingredients of the ATC gods. I was so embarassed... When the tour was exiting the room, my actions were awarded with a sarcastic comment from one of the tour witnesses- "Smooth move...... dude."

I finally got everyone adequately cleaned up and quietly sank back into my chair in the darkness and spent the last part of my shift struggling to hold back from outbursts of uncontrolled fits of laughter as I replayed the events in my mind. Thankfully, it was never spoke of again by anyone.

To this day, I laugh histarically when I am reminded of that moment and have never brought drinks to position with me since. The image in my mind, the looks of horror on thier faces cracks me up. There is the ATC god gene in those who can get sprayed with coke and keep controlling aircraft. It gets me every time.

Lesson learned, no sticky drinks on the watch floor. It can happen to anyone.

Last edited:

Genot

Trusted Contributor
Feb 7, 2010
A Dark Dark Room
Slow late night working combined sectors and I exactly one airplane on frequency, a PC12. MD80 checks on climbing out with "123 with ya, 2 for 5." Airliner 123 blah blah blah... I respond and issue a climb and turn "123, roger". Hey, approach 123?" Uh yeah? "How'd you know it was us?" Well its you and a PC12 and I don't hear a prop turning when you transmit. "OK" ::pause:: "Hey approach how's the weather ahead?" (new voice and a strange buzzing sound in the background)" I Don't see anything on my radar Airliner 123. "uhhh ok thanks. How'd you know it was us again?" The Pilatus pilot is a woman Sir, but what was that odd sound? Everything ok? "Yeah just teaching my copilot a lesson so I had him make his best prop sound."

Sounded like a fun crew so I begged direct to the hub with center.

PhillyManlove

Dec 18, 2013
Philly
I walked in on a coworker shitting in the tower sink once on an open. He had a pattern full and was alone. I felt bad and disgusted at the same time.

sweetea

Trusted Member
Mar 29, 2012
NC
so as a newly rated radar controller i was in clearance. Min. manning only a sup, scope, assist, and of course me. We were working swing close on a Friday night. Traffic was popping but nothing to busy. (Boom) both Printers run outta strips at the same time. "No big deal right" well i go to grab the case full of bundles (strips). There were none left. So as a newly rated controller i get a little antsy knowing i have to go all the way to the back of the radar room to get a new box. (which for some reason they lug these 60 lb boxes on the top shelve at least 6 ft up.) So i tell the sup whats up and am on my way. Takes me a few mins to get the box down without killing myself and I return with it. (while i was gone traffic had picked up dramatically and a MD20 declared an emergency short final needed to go around.) No one is paying me any attention in CD. So i open the box which is a struggle because i have no keys or nails (bite them bad habit ). finally get it open, assist is getting onto me "Where are my strips" TWR LINE calling for a clearance. (Boom) As i was unbundling the strips, they go everywhere. Everyone looks at me like WTF. Me: Kicks the half together stack, (not thinking) and puff strips all over the IFR room.

Only comment said was from my SUP "You know were gunna still use those and your picking them up" Spent next 3 hours re bundling strips that i had thrown a tantrum and kicked everywhere.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Had a guy in the tower keep calling a Grumman a gremlin. Took him a good 15min to figure out why we were laughing at him. Trainer just let him go on without a hitch.

SPOONY90

Trusted Contributor
Jun 11, 2014
Where I work, when we mess up, we get yelled and lectured because it's not professional. I don't know any funny stories

SPOONY90

Trusted Contributor
Jun 11, 2014
Funniest eval I've read..... "If you would of done any less, they would of missed"

sweetea

Trusted Member
Mar 29, 2012
NC
Convicted a trainee that a co worker was allergic to plastic. Had him go on a chow run a get a red hi-c. No straw, no lid, no ice..
His car was fucked.

slater

Epic Member
Oct 16, 2009
Outside your window
Came in to relieve the mid watch crew to find one of the CRT radar scopes had been mysteriously cracked in half during the evening.

Only evidence was a mini nerf football laying on the floor.... they had wheels and we still had 10 more scopes. I think heat was the culprit. ;)

Last edited:

airkiwi

Sep 28, 2008
Working a high altitude sector late one night, and a Southwest says "Hey Center, do you have any traffic above us?". Didn't have anyone around him for 20 miles. I replied "No, why do you ask?"

The pilot hesitates and says "Well, we both see some flashing lights above us... but we don't want to make this official.. we'll get back to you". I let a few minutes go by and ask, "Southwest 123 - do you want to make a report? We've got a form for it". Again, he hesitates and finally says "No, it's probably better if we don't say anything, forget it." Other pilots are now keying up and egging him on "Come on! Tell us what you saw!" At this point he's leaving my airspace

I go to switch him... "Southwest 123, Contact Area 51 - 118.82... " Whole frequency cracks up. Southwest pilot goes "Uhhh... who? Contact who?? Oh, guess we deserve that. Later"

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
^I had a similar situation but when queried as to whether he'd like to report it his response was "you couldn't pay me enough to report this!"

slater

Epic Member
Oct 16, 2009
Outside your window
When I was in the service, we had E2C Hawkeyes called Wall Bangers (ex. WB202). I worked at the time for a facility with a call sign, Beaver Control.

They would check in..... "Beaver, Banger." We'd respond.... "Banger, Beaver."

It is still so to this day. Always easy to find noobs and the pervs in the cockpit with the giggles over the mic. Say out loud if you don't get it.