FY 2011 budget

kls1981

Rookie
Feb 6, 2009
Sandusky, Ohio
I noticed the FAA has a link on their website about getting 1.1B for the NEXGEN program. Just curious how much of this money is for future hiring? Any ideas?

Dec 16, 2009
N90-EWR
I don't know about future hiring, but I am sure there has got to be clauses for updates for the training facility in OKC and some sort of program to train the current controllers. It will be interesting to see it once it's finalized.

GolfJuliet

'Merica
Oct 29, 2009
I get these AOPA emails every once in a while, and I got one today talking about a $16.5B budget I think was the number....I'll try and post it up later.

GLF5

Mar 22, 2009
I doubt hiring is part of the Nexgen (crap) program. It's probably lumped in there under some other category...or maybe not.

https://employees.faa.gov/ has it all there.

Where did all the money go from last year? We can't even get a new mouse pad.

GolfJuliet

'Merica
Oct 29, 2009
They've answered your question, but here are a few exerts that talk about NextGen and the FAA bill. Surely some of that will go towards hiring.
Proposal increases FAA, NextGen funding

The general aviation community made it clear over the past year that user fees are not the best way to fund the nation’s aviation system, and President Barack Obama's budget request for 2011 showed that those voices were heard.

The administration's Office of Management and Budget released a budget Feb. 1 that would hold the line on most aviation-related programs while investing more money in airspace modernization. The proposal does not call for new aviation user fees, as last year's budget suggested it might.

The budget requests $16.5 billion for the FAA in fiscal year 2011, a 3-percent increase over 2010. That funding would include $1.1 billion for NextGen air transportation system modernization—an increase of almost a third—and $3.5 billion for the Airport Improvement Program, the same as in previous years.

NextGen

While most aviation funding in the proposal remained steady or increased only slightly, the administration is requesting a 32-percent increase in funding for NextGen air transportation system modernization. The $1.1 billion for NextGen would go toward implementing technologies such as ADS-B and LPV approaches, establishing the infrastructure for NextGen facilities, and conducting research and development.

AOPA has been extensively involved in planning for the transition to satellite-based navigation and surveillance, and the association recently participated in a task force that produced recommendations for implementing NextGen in the near- to mid-term. Noting “unprecedented consensus” among industry groups in the task force, FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt pointed out in a conference call with stakeholders that $403 million of the money requested for NextGen would directly address recommendations from the task force.

NextGen funding for 2011 would include $2 million for research, engineering, and development of alternative fuels for GA—a line item not seen in the 2009 or 2010 budget. That would add federal dollars to the search for an alternative to leaded avgas; more information about the funding may surface as additional details of the budget are released.

kls1981

Rookie
Feb 6, 2009
Sandusky, Ohio
Yeah I figured money wouldn't come out of that 1.1B for NEXGEN for hiring. I wasn't really sure how much was dedicated to hiring. I did see that the total was 16.5B for the FAA. I was hoping for a glimmer of hope for FY2011 hiring.
Its funny, I can see Cedar Point from my house and I never go. Although I wish I was there right now too since that would mean warmer weather.