GA pilots?

mjohn47

Jun 23, 2008
Holbrook, NY
I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't flown in months and it pisses me off. I'm thinking maybe I'll blow some of that cash I don't have while I'm in OKC and go fly.

Fack, I need an instrument proficiency check now too. DAMN!!

strykr

Aug 18, 2008
Warrenton, VA
With my wife here in OKC I'm still working my dead end job thats close to Tinker and I love seeing the E-3's, KC-135's and feeling the B-1's taking off over the city..... Makes me miss flying SO BAD!! my First class is good through next month. irishcarbomb where do you teach?

strykr

Aug 18, 2008
Warrenton, VA
Nice, I grew up down south in Boca and had my first lesson out of BCT in a 152. I have a buddy thats at ERAU now working on his PPL.

irishcarbomb

Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
I've flown into Boca a few times, pretty nice down there. We usually catch all the riddle guys once they realize how much of a rip off it really is (like i did). $11k to get a private is wayyy too much. its probably even more now and that was only 53hrs.

strykr

Aug 18, 2008
Warrenton, VA
WOW! 11k! that hurts the pocket a lot! I don't even want to know what Comm. will cost. Next time I talk to him, I'll vector him over to ya!

Trovan

Jan 9, 2009
SLC, UT
cedenullis.com
I usually fly a 172, one of a varying group from old and basic instruments up to one with a G1000 glass panel. I pay between $90 and $140.

Here, the cheapest they have is $160, and they require at least 3 hours with an instructor to be checked out for their insurance.

No thank you.

Nofear

Oct 11, 2008
Salt lake city, Utah
holey crapoley that sounds pretty dang steep for an older 172 or cherokee or 152. I am going to have to do some more research on that when I get down to ok. city. The 3 hour checkout sounds like a farse to me to. I am a 1500 hour pilot with about 1000 of those hours in variou 172 models if they require 3 hours for a checkout thats company policy not the insurance. Please give us an update if you find anything better. I am a current CFI in utah and would like to do some minimal flying in Ok. city but I am not going to pay 160$/hour for an old plane or even the new g1000.

mjohn47

Jun 23, 2008
Holbrook, NY
Damn, I was hoping to go to OKC and pay less for hours - but $160 is about what I pay here in NY. Maybe there are some cheaper places at some of the surrounding airports.

irishcarbomb

Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
why dont you find someone to split the time with? at most flight schools there is almost always a few building time for instrument or commercial. or find another pilot at the academy

strykr

Aug 18, 2008
Warrenton, VA
I usually fly a 172, one of a varying group from old and basic instruments up to one with a G1000 glass panel. I pay between $90 and $140.

Here, the cheapest they have is $160, and they require at least 3 hours with an instructor to be checked out for their insurance.

No thank you.
One flight school I flew at over a summer was 125 wet including instructor. my main flight school in college was 150 plus 45 for instructor.... I asked the guy who ran the other flight school why it was so much more and told him about my home airport and he said they must be doing something wrong or something like that because our rates are the best we can do.... I never bought that.

ATCtower

Oct 26, 2008
Got my private on 8/12/2003... Still working on my instrument (yayaya... CTI school and all killed the $ situation).