General PV Discussion

enickerson

Rookie
Jun 19, 2008
PV coming up... who is nervous

Haven't seen any threads about the PV recently so thought I would start one. Pv-ing in a few weeks and hopefully everything goes smooth. I wish they spent more time in the radar labs and less time doing non-radar, non-radar, what a stressfull waste of time (although you do need the fundamentals of it to take to the radar labs with you).
Any comments about the PV???

Pen_Fifteen

Sep 6, 2008
Copperhead road
Re: PV coming up... who is nervous

I'm nervous man, and I have not even started OKC yet.

By the way, these pv threads are all about the enroute pv, I never see anything about the towercab one. It is shrouded in mystery.

Shyu

Jul 24, 2008
www.stuckmic.com
Re: PV coming up... who is nervous

PV Jan 29th here, en route. Not too nervous, just the anticipation of it coming is pretty fun lol.

ZAUturnbull

Newcomer
Apr 11, 2009
Yorkville, IL
Anyone have any horror stories of the dsr PV? Just trying to get mentally prepared for this thing, my class pv's pretty soon. How do you get over the nerves?!?!

walters

Rookie
Jun 19, 2008
Elsewhere
Re: Wanna talk PV?

best way is to just go in and let er rip.... you will be nervous, i sure was but i just went in sat down and was on autopilot (no pun intended) until it was over

mjohn47

Jun 23, 2008
Holbrook, NY

you walk in. you sit down. your pen shakes for about 30 seconds and then you kill it. next thing you know it's 843 on the clock and the evaluator is asking if you want a break. that's all there is to it.

oh, and r-man says don't fuck up.

atcguruaf

Rico Suave
Jan 4, 2009
Right here

well, no horror stories... just be sure not to land a cherokee on top of a
B747, I saw that happen and although a good idea, being that the cherokee had plenty of aircraft to land on, for some reason they exploded and the instructor didn't like it. I'm still trying to figure out why... Maybe he should have landed him on the wing instead... who knows.

In all seriousness, by the time you get around to your PV, you'll feel ready. You might be a little nervous, but as long as you keep the flow simple (i.e. 28L patterns, with an occasional extend downwind or 360etc.) and don't try the squeeze play (unless you know what you're doing), you'll be fine, just be sure to limit your creativity. I was landing guys on 34, SODO (10L/10R ops with guys for 28L/28R), guys on downwind for 16, etc. It was fun, but once I got to the PV I kept it very simple. Do that and you'll be fine.

apegler

Nov 18, 2008
Salt Lake City

Well the PV is all about the nerves. You will know what to do its just if you let your nerves get the best of you you are going to forget the simple things. Make sure to put your red W's on your conflicts even if you are going to fix them right then and there. If you don't get something in the computer after the 3rd try, stop playing with the computer and make some phone calls. Check your route lines after you put your 6710 in and make sure that the aircraft isn't going to need a point out or it is at the correct altitude for direction of flight. Also, if two start flashing take care of it. One guy in my class failed the first time b/c he thought it was the R sides deal. Also, one of the SUA's are going to go from hot to cold or cold to hot. Make sure when it happens to check you the strips b/c if it goes hot you know someone is going to be headed right for it. Also, you and your R side can talk, if you need a little help with something ask him, if you don't catch a transmission ask him. Make sure you listen to the readback, the ghosts are supposed to not make errors in it but they do. Know how to call your military change of destination in. But all in all its a thing of nerves make sure to relax and you will do fine. Like mjohn47 said you walk in you are nervous when the R side starts the briefing and before you know it the evaluator is going to ask you if you want a break. Its one of the quickest 45 minutes of your life. Good luck

mjohn47

Jun 23, 2008
Holbrook, NY

what level of problem is it? or to which previous problems does it compare to?
You determine what level the problem is. In reality, it's a mid 20, you will make it a 32-33.

My problem had 5 conflicts, all with easy solutions. You can easily make more work for yourself by trying to do more than you have to. Phone won't ring for the first 5 minutes. You may have to make some manual handoffs but how hard is that? It's really as easy as your instructors say it is - just calm down as much as you can.

Also, finish up your traffic search but don't try to move aircraft that won't even show up. Red W's if you think they're traffic, note it in your briefing - tell them you're waiting for limiteds or something.

belot64f

Feb 15, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
www.facebook

Advice....just watch the limited data blocks. You already know EVERYTHING that happens...6-7-10, military change, inbounds to VKS, point hands, handoffs.....there is NOTHING NEW that you haven't already seen. The problem is in the mid 20s somewhere depending on which run you get. The conflicts are easy to spot. If you get a guy apreq IAFDOF entering your sector...there is a chance he will hit someone.....if so FIND IT and request him at a different altitude....OR he may NOT have anyone in conflict....he could be IAFDOF ENTERING, but RIGHT EXITING.....if thats the case then you CAN approve him IAFDOD, but just get control in case he needs to be moved. You know what to do if someone requests lover or higher in 67, F30 or 64 airspace (ctl and a P/O)....JUST DO WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT TO DO! There is NOTHING new.

BUT....ABOVE ALL ELSE......RELAX!!!!!!

You'll be fine

ZAUturnbull

Newcomer
Apr 11, 2009
Yorkville, IL

haha still not so much relieved, what should i be studying? pretty much all i look at are my grade sheets along w/ the strips and read through my lab guideline and loa's anyone do anything different that helped them?

mjohn47

Jun 23, 2008
Holbrook, NY

dude if you don't know it by the week before pv you won't know it. we went out and got drunk the weekend before pv - i'm not even joking. it's nothing new, same shit, different day.

there's no worrying in aerrooocenter. just run the damn problem.

ZAUturnbull

Newcomer
Apr 11, 2009
Yorkville, IL

lol everything thing i know i've known since our part tasks, just been stressing cuz everyone in our class is a bunch of debby downers always talking about failling pv

Airforceone

Rookie
Oct 3, 2008
ZTL

Don't let your classmates effect you...get in there do that damn thing and have some balls... if the PV rater sees you have the confidence you'll be good. Just do it its not hard at all! If you listen to debbie downers to much you will have a long career. Go with the flow.

Underd0g

Rookie
Feb 17, 2009
Chicago
anbservers.com

Well Wednesday is the big PV day and I am in the second run of people so I will be done before lunch. After problem 34 I feel like crap but wish me luck!