Getting Out

m1kehot3l

Trusted Member
Jun 5, 2013
parting ways with the military after 7 years of ATC. To make a long story short I simply want to get out and persue DoD or FAA. iF i reenlist It will take me to 31 and I will lose the opportunity for the FAA. Does anyone have any success stories that might help me through this transition period? I have applied to 8 DoD facilities with a couple of referals but no calls. Was hoping to have a job before I got out. I doubt the FAA will be hiring this fall so I will be needing to find employment elsewhere. Also applied to Train dispatcher for CSX last week. Fingers crossed but not counting on it. Any suggestions for places to send a resume saturated in radar ATC experience?

Last edited:

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
If you have a CTO, apply with the big contractors (midwest, serco and rva). They usually want you to be within about a month of getting out so you can quickly fill a slot.

m1kehot3l

Trusted Member
Jun 5, 2013
should have mentioned this in the OP sorry. I do not have a CTO. I only have a radar NEC. (radar supervisor). Midwest is a no go. Money looks good but I'm not leaving the fam again.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Roger. You will be pretty limited on options then, unfortunately. I've seen a radar job pop up here and there in Yuma, AZ with I believe TRAX. I don't know what having range control experience consists of, but there are some in NV every now and then too.

m1kehot3l

Trusted Member
Jun 5, 2013
Roger. You will be pretty limited on options then, unfortunately. I've seen a radar job pop up here and there in Yuma, AZ with I believe TRAX. I don't know what having range control experience consists of, but there are some in NV every now and then too.

I will look into that. thanks

flybyfive

Jul 23, 2011
Dude don't forget going to school... you do it right, you can work on your degree while making some $ through the Post 9/11 GI bill till you figure out ATC jobs. Good luck

jonnboy

Rookie
Jan 9, 2014
Dude don't forget going to school... you do it right, you can work on your degree while making some $ through the Post 9/11 GI bill till you figure out ATC jobs. Good luck
What this guy said. I got out, did DOD for a year, did contract for 9 months, have been going to school since, and am in the process to get hired on the Feb bid. Keep on applying and if you're interested in flying go get your commercial for free...thats what I did.

m1kehot3l

Trusted Member
Jun 5, 2013
School is my main back up plan if I don't get a DoD gig. Just trying to figure out the best place for an aviation degree. Embry riddle? Any thoughts?

Last edited:

m1kehot3l

Trusted Member
Jun 5, 2013
What this guy said. I got out, did DOD for a year, did contract for 9 months, have been going to school since, and am in the process to get hired on the Feb bid. Keep on applying and if you're interested in flying go get your commercial for free...thats what I did.
Where did you go for your commercial?

jonnboy

Rookie
Jan 9, 2014
I went down to Palm Beach, FL for 9 months. I wouldn't suggest it...the school was great, just not the city (unless you're into that sort of thing). The school there is Palm Beach State College, but you can google VA certified flight schools and find one somewhere close to you.