Getting Started

Antero6

Newcomer
Mar 1, 2018
I am considering ATC as a career path and don't know how to even begin. I am 29, hold a Bachelors degree, 4 years military experience (not ATC), and am about to begin applying to dental school. The reality of school debt has settled in and I want to consider other options. How does one even apply to the FAA Academy, assuming this is step 1 of the journey to becoming an ATC. Thanks for your time!

Mr.Tickles

Rookie
Oct 8, 2017
I am considering ATC as a career path and don't know how to even begin. I am 29, hold a Bachelors degree, 4 years military experience (not ATC), and am about to begin applying to dental school. The reality of school debt has settled in and I want to consider other options. How does one even apply to the FAA Academy, assuming this is step 1 of the journey to becoming an ATC. Thanks for your time!
You need to keep an eye open for the next Off The Street bid on USAJobs.gov. Typically it will come out in July and will only be open for a week. If one does happen this year make sure you apply for it. 30 is the cut off age for being a controller. After the bid closes you're looking at 9 months to a year minimum before you would make it to the academy IF everything went smoothly and you passed everything. It's a long, long process with lots of waiting. Plenty of info on here and pointsixtyfive.com.

Brewdude

Oct 31, 2008
You need to keep an eye open for the next Off The Street bid on USAJobs.gov. Typically it will come out in July and will only be open for a week. If one does happen this year make sure you apply for it. 30 is the cut off age for being a controller. After the bid closes you're looking at 9 months to a year minimum before you would make it to the academy IF everything went smoothly and you passed everything. It's a long, long process with lots of waiting. Plenty of info on here and pointsixtyfive.com.
31 is cut off

AC1277

Mar 2, 2013
Paradise District
29 is a rough age to start the process. I applied at 26 and was honestly sweating it the whole time. Age requirements have changed since I got in, it used to be that you had to be under 31 when you got your firm offer letter, but I'm not sure what it is now. Keep an eye out for off the street bids. Go to usajobs.gov and search for 2152 series jobs available to US citizens. Follow stuckmic and atcmemes, and definitely NATCA on facebook, they're pretty good about posting when those opportunities become available. From the time I applied until the time I walked into the academy was 13 months, and that was FAST. Be patient, but know you're pushing the age envelope. That said, best of luck to you... it's a great career!