Getting there - FAA Academy Class Date

Adam679

Rookie
May 31, 2012
Southwest
So what is the process for booking the flight to Academy? Just got FOL. So is the last day of class all day? or do I book to leave day after? Just some questions before I call the SATO today.

DeltaLimaMike

May 10, 2011
Alaska
Re: Getting there

I wasn't able to book my ticket until about 2 weeks before my class started. Sometimes it can take a little while to get your name loaded into their system. On the last day of the academy, you will be there for a full day. So plan on leaving the next day unless you can find a flight out that evening. Either way, I don't think you'll need to worry about booking your ticket back home until a few weeks before your grad date anyways.

redcup

May 17, 2011

Assuming you make it to your grad date. People drop out before the end of the course... MWUAHAHA

Adam679

Rookie
May 31, 2012
Southwest

Thanks for the answer. Just got my TOL for a class the starting during the week of Feb 11th. Cutting it close!

I fully intend on being there on grad day.

mikecoyne34

Senior Analyst
Nov 19, 2009
D10

Thanks for the answer. Just got my TOL for a class the starting during the week of Feb 11th. Cutting it close!

I fully intend on being there on grad day.
Nobody intends to wash.... Try your best, if you make it, good, if not its not a career for you. Just be smart while there. It's not difficult.

Adam679

Rookie
May 31, 2012
Southwest

was told two different things about booking travel arrangements--one is as soon as you get I my FOL and the other is I have to wait for the Welcome package. Which one is it? got FOL last Thursday evening--but no Welcome package yet. Class date is week of 2/11.

RedBaron

Academy Housing Provider
Apr 22, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK

Book your lodging as soon as you get your FOL. None of the FAA lodging providers have a penalty fee if things change.

Cheers,:cheers:
The RedBaron

Charlie_Foxtrot

Trusted Contributor
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago

Adam, here is what my HR rep told me when I asked her this question:

"Do not purchase your own ticket. 10-14 days prior to your class date, you will receive a Fed Ex packet from the academy and in that packet it explains the steps you need to take to purchase your ticket."

Adam679

Rookie
May 31, 2012
Southwest

Are checked bags something I pay for and then get reimbursed? Or is it covered already in the reservation?

DeltaLimaMike

May 10, 2011
Alaska

Are checked bags something I pay for and then get reimbursed? Or is it covered already in the reservation?
Save your receipts from paying for the bags and bring them with you the first time you go to the per diem office. They'll take your receipts and add the amount to your payment.