Good jobs to get while wating for ATC...?

1000awhp

Newcomer
Jan 28, 2010
I was just wondering what some good jobs were that are relative to the ATC scene...Something in aviation or aerospace...To get a better idea of how thing work in an airport...Preferably something that doesnt require a degree...Thanks!

Battani22

Trusted Contributor
Apr 6, 2009
Minnesota
Pretty much what mtlatc said...some times the FAA comes out with paid internships at certain facilities, ZMP has one. But I haven't seen one another bid come out for a long time though.

Sixburgh77

Newcomer
Jun 27, 2009
I was just wondering what some good jobs were that are relative to the ATC scene...Something in aviation or aerospace...To get a better idea of how thing work in an airport...Preferably something that doesnt require a degree...Thanks!
You could try Line Service at an FBO. I would recommend this to anybody that is waititng for their ATC job. Most FBO's dont require a degree for their line service positions and the job will allow you to experience how an airport works more so than say, throwing bags for southwest or other airlines.(Not that there is anything wrong with that.)

I recommend working at a major airport though or at least an international, not your local airfield unless your local airfield is PDK or an extremely busy General Aviation Airport. You will have access to ground radio transceivers and in some cases may actually communicate with the tower if you have to enter the movement area of the airport. At my FBO we have to tow on taxiways regularly so we are in contact with the CT and unless you are a pilot or work for airport operations that is about as close as you can get to ATC experience.

Just listening to the radio all day everyday you learn, "The Language", or at least get a taste. No to mention you get to meet some pretty high profile people and make some kick ass tips sometimes. Most positions pay 10-15 and hour and can be pretty fun but I wont lie, it can really suck if the weather is bad.

It's worth looking into, hope this helps!

GolfJuliet

'Merica
Oct 29, 2009
You could do flight dispatch for a major airline, you have to be 21 and it costs anywhere from $2500-$5000 and takes anywhere from 2-8 weeks. It all depends on your experience.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
You could do flight dispatch for a major airline, you have to be 21 and it costs anywhere from $2500-$5000 and takes anywhere from 2-8 weeks. It all depends on your experience.
Dispatch is a career... not really something you'd just pick up while waiting on your application to go through.

Raydon

Happy Camper
Aug 18, 2008
OKC
i've heard dispatch is good, but if you're looking for something a little more hands on you may try working the flight-line at an FBO or at your local large airport.

1000awhp

Newcomer
Jan 28, 2010
The line person job doesnt seem too bad...Cant seem to find any openings or anything though. Anyone else? Some other aviation jobs recommended to someone in my position? Is aerospace much different? Are there any decent jobs in that field that dont require special schooling? Thanks

atcguruaf

Rico Suave
Jan 4, 2009
Right here

I'd say something that has to deal with multitasking. Even something like McDonald's.

Here's my rationale:

Even at McDonald's, you multitask. You get a routine where you have to flip bugers at certain intervals, make sure fries don't burn, make a big mac a certain way, and make sure you do it that way every time!

You may be thinking "wtf is he talking about?" It's hard to explain. All I know is a job where you're breaking your back, on your feet nonstop, taking orders, exchanging money, making burgers, etc. sounds more complex than working at a ticketing counter (although I have never done ticketing, so I apologize if I offended anyone).

I guess if you apply yourself, any job can be beneficial, especially if money is involved... haha

GolfJuliet

'Merica
Oct 29, 2009
The line person job doesnt seem too bad...Cant seem to find any openings or anything though. Anyone else? Some other aviation jobs recommended to someone in my position? Is aerospace much different? Are there any decent jobs in that field that dont require special schooling? Thanks
Line service doesn't require anything but a high school diploma. Look up the FBOs for your local airport on flightaware.com and give them a call or look on their website if they have one.

1000awhp

Newcomer
Jan 28, 2010
Line service doesn't require anything but a high school diploma. Look up the FBOs for your local airport on flightaware.com and give them a call or look on their website if they have one.
Thanks for that website...Its what I was looking for :)

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Aviation jobs are hard to come by, and almost all of them require some sort of training or a commitment more involved than what a CTI student can offer. Working line's probably your best bet, or some other menial work at an FBO... mowing grass, washing planes, etc.

Keep in mind that there are plenty of people who do even low-level aviation work as a career and there's a good chance you'll be competing against them. Not saying that you shouldn't give it a shot, just to keep in mind that it's not like picking up an hourly job at a restaurant.

If you're looking for a list of FBO's, my suggestion's AirNav, which is a little more extensive.

...last idea: you may be able to swing an internship. Most of the legacies offer them; you'll find them listed in the same section on their pages as the jobs (so, Careers or Employment). Now's the time to start looking.

monica5627

Rookie
Oct 20, 2009
San Diego
Have you looked into train dispatching? This is from the UnionPacific website:

"Working in Omaha, Nebraska; Spring, Texas; or San Bernadino, California, UP Train Dispatchers use computers and radio communications to control the safe movement of trains throughout the company's 23-state rail network. Not unlike an air traffic controller, train dispatchers constantly monitor train movement and conditions affecting their movement, taking immediate action when necessary. A Computer Aided Dispatching system helps dispatchers to efficiently and safely route trains."

GolfJuliet

'Merica
Oct 29, 2009
Why couldn't they just put like an air traffic controller..not unlike is like a double negative and it confused me there for a minute.

What are the qualifications for it?