Government Shutdown Effects

BVI4Life

Jun 8, 2009
PCT
My first day at my new facility (picked up off an ERR) is supposed to be Monday. I guess I'll just sit at home for a few days and listen to Rebecca Black...

barnett

Trusted Member
May 30, 2009
Salt Lake City
Am I really going to have to work without getting paid? (CPC here) I don't have enough of an emergency fund to cover my bills if this happens. How worried should I be?!
Maybe you should consider a credit card and use it for safety purposes like this! Then you can pay it back monthly instead of not paying bills and ruining your credit. But yeah that does suck, working with no paycheck! Good luck!

GiveLink

Newcomer
Apr 13, 2010
Oklahoma city, Ok
I just started terminal basics last week on march 30th and the basics supervisor came in and talked to us today and she said if the furlough happens we would not have class and not get paid but we would still get per diem. She also said they were trying to make us essential employees but that was probably no happen. That being said I feel horrible for the April 8th class, if this happened a week ago that would have been me. Good luck guys.

jtomes

Mar 30, 2010
Memphis TN
a director from the ATO said that a possible contingency could be letting the classes currently running finish off and the new classes would be delayed. he said nothing would be official until Sunday night. who knows just another contingency...

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Hopefully they'll at least stick to the schedule. Taking off all those snow days a couple months back was no big deal in Basics, but if we're shut down for a week, that'll kill those of us who are supposed to be running scenarios then. Going in for evals after missing a full five days of that's gonna ruin us all.

RC4524

Jan 8, 2009
YNG
Maybe you should consider a credit card and use it for safety purposes like this! Then you can pay it back monthly instead of not paying bills and ruining your credit. But yeah that does suck, working with no paycheck! Good luck!
This is sadly not even an option for some of us.

SCOPED

Senior Analyst
Nov 21, 2010
Gods Country, Alaska
My first day at my new facility (picked up off an ERR) is supposed to be Monday. I guess I'll just sit at home for a few days and listen to Rebecca Black...
Oooo how I miss Headset Guy! Does this mean he will have more leisure time to twirl a cane as he strolls with his headset tucked lazily around his supple neck?

Seriously this whole thing blows and I feel lucky that Flight data is considered “essential” or bills would pile up. If people do get furloughed they will get back pay like in 1995, it’s just the unneeded stress and the break in class which is the real killer. I will pray for all of you because this plain sucks

lunchbox

Asst to Regional Manager
Jun 2, 2009
Port Orange, FL
a director from the ATO said that a possible contingency could be letting the classes currently running finish off and the new classes would be delayed. he said nothing would be official until Sunday night. who knows just another contingency...
thats also what an instructor said... hope it's true. well. hope the shutdown doesn't happen.

shaba169

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2010
LH doesn't seam to be to worried about it. Just got a call today confirming 5/16 as my new class date instead of 6/10!

rios

Oct 9, 2010
LH doesn't seam to be to worried about it. Just got a call today confirming 5/16 as my new class date instead of 6/10!
They will be working as usual; as in they will provide you with class dates, etc... Until the shutdown, when they cancel everything :(. Meanwhile, they gotta do something, right?

ATCracer

Rookie
Feb 3, 2009
South Florida
Well Houston center told us today that only CPC's and developmentals with certifications will be considered essential. Non essentials are developmentals that have 0 D-sides or still in the training lab.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Well Houston center told us today that only CPC's and developmentals with certifications will be considered essential. Non essentials are developmentals that have 0 D-sides or still in the training lab.
Same in Chicago. There are 8 trainees without a position, so they are non-essential and will be furloughed if it comes to that...which seems likely at this point.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
Idk, I mean look at it like this: every time in the past furloughed workers received back pay like they were actually working... while essential employees also received back pay.
I think I would enjoy a paid vacation that uses zero leave days..... over working those days.... ya know?

BennyPops

Trusted Contributor
Aug 18, 2010
TX
We are proposed to let 80% of our controllers here go if this gets ugly today.

Last edited:

belot64f

Feb 15, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
www.facebook
Idk, I mean look at it like this: every time in the past furloughed workers received back pay like they were actually working... while essential employees also received back pay.
I think I would enjoy a paid vacation that uses zero leave days..... over working those days.... ya know?
Keep this in mind though....with todays idiots on Capitol Hill....there is a rumor that unlike previous Shutdowns where furloughed employees DID get retroactive back pay....there is shit floating around that certain members of Congress that they will try to make it so furloughed employees would NOT get paid for time off this time.

daveozzie999

Aug 15, 2009
MRY
Keep this in mind though....with todays idiots on Capitol Hill....there is a rumor that unlike previous Shutdowns where furloughed employees DID get retroactive back pay....there is shit floating around that certain members of Congress that they will try to make it so furloughed employees would NOT get paid for time off this time.
In reality that's how it should be otherwise why are they even wasting their time calling it a shutdown and "furloughs"? It's the opposite of furloughs if they get back pay. Read: more paid vacation. Stupid.