graduated CTI's and facility placements

marreroj

Jul 19, 2009
I understand that no one knows exactly how the faa works so please answer the following questions based on tendencies or experience.

1. Geo pref for cti is 2 states can you do anything to influence what kind of facility you will be placed at?(i heard something about a box where you could elaborate on county,area ext. did anyone put "tracon in either state" or something to that effect?

2.people who score higher on AT-SAT get picked first does this mean thy have a better chance of getting picked up at a higher level facility(do lvl12's get first pick?) or just that they have a better chance of being picked by someone in that panel be it level 6 or 12?

3.What determines who gets "stuck" (don't yell at me, lol) at lower level facilities? is it just luck? did anybody want a busy tracon,center or tower and end up in a lvl 5 or 6? or are those places reserved for people who wash out/resign at the higher level facilities?

Last edited:

PabloFair

Rookie
Mar 23, 2009
3rd planet from the sun
Re: graduated CTI's and facility placements.

I understand that no one knows exactly how the faa works so please answer the following questions based on tendencies or experience.

1. Geo pref for cti is 2 states can you do anything to influence what kind of facility you will be placed at?(i heard something about a box where you could elaborate on county,area ext. did anyone put "tracon in either state" or something to that effect?

2.people who score higher on AT-SAT get picked first does this mean thy have a better chance of getting picked up at a higher level facility(do lvl12's get first pick?) or just that they have a better chance of being picked by someone in that panel be it level 6 or 12?

3.What determines who gets "stuck" (don't yell at me, lol) at lower level facilities? is it just luck? did anybody want a busy tracon,center or tower and end up in a lvl 5 or 6? or are those places reserved for people who wash out/resign at the higher level facilities?
1. When I applied I could choose 5 states and that was it. You couldn't choose terminal or en route or anything. I know a guy that applied on a later announcement and on that one there were only 2 states and you could choose terminal or en route (I think). That kind of stuff changes from announcement to announcement.

2. It is true, to a point, that the higher score has a better chance of getting picked up. 85-100 is deemed well qualified and 70-84 is deemed qualified. That's all I know.

3. No I idea really. My thought would be that the panels, in which people are selected go to facilities, are kind of like a draft and people are chosen based on how well they throw and catch a football and their physical attributes.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL

What you scored number-wise is irrelevant... you are either in the "qualified" or "well qualified" category.

Facility level placement has nothing to do with what you scored either... its all about trying to match your geo preferences to an available opening.

Getting stuck? If you get picked up at a level 12 and struggle like the majority and get let go you'd wish you got "stuck". You guys dont realize how busy and complex most of these places are. High level facilities get paid what they do for a reason. Hell, the TRACON by my facility is only an 8 and has washed about 80% in the last 2 years. Believe what you want but thats the reality.

PabloFair

Rookie
Mar 23, 2009
3rd planet from the sun

Getting stuck? If you get picked up at a level 12 and struggle like the majority and get let go you'd wish you got "stuck". You guys dont realize how busy and complex most of these places are. High level facilities get paid what they do for a reason. Hell, the TRACON by my facility is only an 8 and has washed about 80% in the last 2 years. Believe what you want but thats the reality.
Well said sir.

bradjackman

Trusted Member
May 7, 2009
Boise

What you scored number-wise is irrelevant... you are either in the "qualified" or "well qualified" category.
The hiring manager who hires for Salt Lake TRACON, Salt Lake Tower, and ZLC said that she just goes down the referral list from the top with the AT-SAT scores. She places the highest scores in the center, then the next highest scores in the Tower and TRACON. From what I've heard about Salt Lake at least, it looks like your score does matter. Not to get on the list, but to get picked up. Of course each facility is probably different.

From the professors at my CTI program, they have said that those who graduate with the highest GPA's, highest scores on the capstone exit exam, and highest AT-SAT scores get picked up very quickly. Those who score lower are picked up later, some even waiting 3-5 YEARS! They suggest there is a direct correlation to your actual scores.

No personal opinion, just passing on the info...

marreroj

Jul 19, 2009

Facility level placement has nothing to do with what you scored either... its all about trying to match your geo preferences to an available opening.

thanks for the input pablo.

polo that Arizona heat is getting to you man. lol

"You guys dont realize how busy and complex most of these places are."
don't mean to be rude, but i did put quotations around stuck and followed up with don't yell at me. lol .

i know theres kids in my CTI classes who will struggle even at local un popular GA airports. what i was talking about are the more naturally competent controller hopefuls who could have easily dealt with a level 8 or 10 or 12 getting "stuck" on a level 4 or 5.

as for the washout rates i never pay any attention to them because it has no showing who the people were who washed out.
"where they smarter than me? could they learn faster than me?could they resolve issues as efficiently as me?could they memorize maps better than me? where they as driven as me?"ext. we could never find out.

p.s am i conceded for believing i will be in the percentage that will not wash out? lol

Last edited:

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
haha, its all good... I didnt mean for it to come off in a mean way. You need to have alot of self confidence to do this job. If you constantly doubt yourself this job will be hard on you.

This job also isnt all about "smarts". You can know the maps and approaches better than everyone there but if you cant separate planes then you will have a very short life with the FAA. good luck

Zeppelinpilot

Rookie
May 20, 2009
I graduated CTI with a Well Qualified score. I got to pick 2 states (NH/NY), and put in the comments section that I wanted Boston Center. I got it. I don't think I would have been so lucky had I wanted to go to a facility like La Guardia tower, or some other place that does not take a whole lot of people.

It really helps if you WANT to go to a center like me!

AKAmanda

Newcomer
Nov 6, 2008
Alaska
Well when I applied back in May you only get 2 states and no other preferences like you can not specify Tower or Center. Anyway hope that helps!