Green Check? Post Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
I too come from an online virtual aviation community that uses the most realistic procedures outlined in 7110.65. Our controllers on our server learn from SOPs created by a team of real-world ATCS's and experience virtual ATCs that take information explained in the .65 and re-word it so that all who wish to learn can understand.

While I am not a part of VATSIM, my community is very similar in the sense that we promote and provide educational services for both aviation enthusiasts who may not get the chance to become real-world ATC. Being a part of these types of organizations has given me the skills to:

a) Jump start on flight training and deduct a good sum of money with having little ground school instruction.
b) Acquire a job more easily in an airport setting by knowing radio communications.
c) Make friends with real-world controllers of which we both learn from eachother.

Before you post again...have you tried any organization such as VATSIM? If not, I would suggest not posting at all because you have no idea how large and how professional most of the world of virtual aviation is.
PilotEdge?

GulfCharlie

Epic Member
Sep 1, 2011
If you think I'm an asshole you have to chance in the FAA. On top of that, I'm not an internet tough guy...I'm a tough guy in the real world. I've flown REAL AIRPLANES, I've pushed REAL TIN, and I've been DOING IT FOR YEARS. Go jerk off to some VATSIM and get ready to have your ass handed to you in training. The FAA needs more people like you to elevate into management. I believe the saying goes Those that can't do teach, Those that can't teach manage, and Those that can't manage become politicians.
Fixed it for you buddy. Have a beer.

Reactions: rooster

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
Oh my you're a special snowflake.
I'm not knocking your game. I play the shit out of GTA.
Your GAME is not real ATC. Let me know when you get an actual ticket somewhere. Actually, just make sure and let us know when you wash out of the academy.
I don't think you get what we are saying here... IM NOT SAYING VATSIM IS REAL WORLD OR EVEN CLOSE TO IT! lol. but you do learn alot and it does get you to start to love this industry and the want to join the real world industry. It's nothing like real world but it is a great free tool to use to get the basics down and be more radio-savvy. Can't wait to learn the real deal if I make it to OKC and get to become a CPC one day because God knows I won't rest till that day comes.

Chris1988

Rookie
Feb 27, 2010
HDF176007
Oh my you're a special snowflake.
I'm not knocking your game. I play the shit out of GTA.
Your GAME is not real ATC. Let me know when you get an actual ticket somewhere. Actually, just make sure and let us know when you wash out of the academy.
Where did I say it was real ATC? Where did jmanley20 say it was real ATC? Oh, that's right! We didn't!

I assure you, I won't be washing out at the academy.

You still haven't answered my question, so I think it's safe to assume you have spent ZERO time on VATSIM to form your negative opinion of it.

My time is far too valuable to be spent going back and forth with some moron on the internet who makes uninformed opinions. See ya!

@jmanley20, check your PM.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
Hahahahaha

I come from a place called "reality". A place where there are consequences and failure means you go make foot longs at subway with Aislynn.
come back at me when you've got real facility crests working real traffic brah.
we can compare real performance records then.

Ohzhee

Trusted Member
Oct 8, 2010
SoCal
PilotEdge?
I tried to work for pilotedge part time out of boredom. I thought it could be a fun way to kill a few hours a week but after the first training session I decided I'd rather jump off the tower catwalk. Im not knocking the usefulness for training pilots, though.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
VATSIM isn't even an ETG. Not even an academy enroute training session. Come back when you've got multiple facility certifications working at airports with several hundred thousand operations a year. Or actual enroute quals.
Kthxbai

Jabberfest

Trusted Member
Mar 25, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
If you think I'm an asshole you have to chance in the FAA. On top of that, I'm not an internet tough guy...I'm a tough guy in the real world. I've flown REAL AIRPLANES, I've pushed REAL AIRPLANES, and I've been DOING IT FOR YEARS. Go jerk off to some VATSIM and get ready to have your ass handed to you in training. The FAA needs more people like you to elevate into management. I believe the saying goes Those that can't do teach, Those that can't teach manage, and Those that can't manage become politicians.
No, you ARE an “internet tough guy”. The fact that you are even on an internet forum arguing with a gamer about whose more qualified to control traffic says something about you. OBVIOUSLY somebody whose pushed REAL airplanes is more qualified than a person whose played a game. Nobody’s said otherwise, so what’s your point? There was a time when you had no experience either. You’re not some big shot just because you’re already a controller. Everybody starts somewhere. This guy is just waiting for his chance to gain experience too, and maybe one day he will be ten times the controller you are. And by the way, I’m not on VATSIM (never even heard of it until this thread) or any other virtual aviation network, but I don’t see the harm in playing such games if you’re an aviation enthusiast just trying to kill time while gaining some knowledge. As long as you don’t mistake gaming for the real thing, which I don’t think he has, since he’s mentioned about a half dozen times that it is NOT equal to rking live traffic. Yet you and jamisjockey keep trying to compare your “real life experience” to his simulated experience. Sad. Maybe you’re great at talking to planes, but I guess reading comprehension is not your thing.

nfingers

Trusted Contributor
Sep 8, 2012
Pittsburgh PA
Where did I say it was real ATC? Where did jmanley20 say it was real ATC? Oh, that's right! We didn't!

I assure you, I won't be washing out at the academy.

You still haven't answered my question, so I think it's safe to assume you have spent ZERO time on VATSIM to form your negative opinion of it.

My time is far too valuable to be spent going back and forth with some moron on the internet who makes uninformed opinions. See ya!

@jmanley20, check your PM.

As I read this argument and laughed a few times, I found this post probably the most interesting.

How can you assure you will not be washing out at the Academy. I know some very strong controllers that have gone to the academy and failed....... You can't even come CLOSE to assuring you will make it out of the academy, hell, IM scared of going to the academy. Air Traffic Control isn't for everyone, some people just CANT do it, no matter how hard they study or try or attempt.

So, please don't every assure something if you can't.

Hello World

Newcomer
Apr 14, 2015
Wow. Jamis, you are giving a textbook example of a straw man argument if I've ever seen one. None of these VATSIM guys compared their virtual experience with your real world experience. They simply mentioned their hobby, and like a rabid dog you immediately jumped down their throats. You have a clear bias and are therefor completely unable to view the issue objectively. There is absolutely nothing wrong with people getting a "feel" for the environment through simulation. It is better than nothing.

It has become abundantly clear that the ATC culture is that of blue-collar, type-A mentality. Being type-A in itself is not a bad thing; I consider myself a part of that group. But this "Talk to me when you're a real man," and "You better get used to taking sh*t," nonsense is honestly pathetic. That said, I am sure that as the new generation of young, college-educated talent gets infused into the workforce, the culture will change for the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.