Greensboro, NC - GSO

DE_UND_CTI

Trusted Member
Dec 12, 2008
CLT- Charlotte Douglas Int'l Airport
Is there anyone on StuckMic who controls at GSO?

I'm trying to find information on what it's like to live in the area, how much the cost of living is, what the work atmosphere is like, etc.

Also, does anyone know about any of the possible effects of the new FedEx hub on the control facility? The facility welcome guide says that they are looking to beef up their staffing numbers in the coming years and possibly get a new facility. I would also assume that their facility level might increase due to the added FedEx traffic.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Icestorm

Rookie
May 23, 2010
Re: GSO- Greensboro, NC

I've worked at GSO for about 2.5 years now. Let me know if you are still interested in coming to Greensboro and I will definitely tell you whatever you would like to know.
~Crystal
I'm thinking of asking for a re-direct, GSO is on my short list. I've been holding a TOL since July 2009, CTI graduate December 2008. HR says no openings until 2012 at my facility so I want a re-direct to someplace that actually needs me. Any info on possible hiring for FY 2011 at GSO? I am slated to go to a level 12 center, and would much prefer to start out somewhere smaller (like GSO). Thanks for any info.

CD_GSO

Newcomer
Jun 15, 2010
Im not Crystal but I can give you an answer. GSO is currently not short, however with the retirements that are scheduled to happen in the near future, we should be authorized to put up a few more bodies. If you need a more definite answer then that, just call me or the facility and we can try and work with you.

Carl Finley
GSO

Icestorm

Rookie
May 23, 2010
Im not Crystal but I can give you an answer. GSO is currently not short, however with the retirements that are scheduled to happen in the near future, we should be authorized to put up a few more bodies. If you need a more definite answer then that, just call me or the facility and we can try and work with you.

Carl Finley
GSO
Thanks very much. I will PM you.

zachoe

Dec 25, 2009
Purgatory, USA
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I had a few questions of my own. I understand that the FedEx hub is nowhere near where capacity (yet?), but has there been any talk about a new tower or anything else regarding facility expansion? ARTS or STARS? Also, I've been told it's a good place to start out. Can anyone comment on this?

keithkeys

Trusted Contributor
Feb 13, 2009
Somewhere out There
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I had a few questions of my own. I understand that the FedEx hub is nowhere near where capacity (yet?), but has there been any talk about a new tower or anything else regarding facility expansion? ARTS or STARS? Also, I've been told it's a good place to start out. Can anyone comment on this?
FedEx bid is dead. It stayed in NJ. I have an ERR there, they called my facility recently inquiring.

mehadi66

Newcomer
Feb 24, 2011
Hi guys
Is gso hiring now. Did u guys pickup anyone recently. I hear some
Trainees are having trouble making it. Also are lot of people eligible
To retire. Thanks

OldasdirtATC

Newcomer
Aug 15, 2011
Re: GSO- Greensboro, NC

I've worked at GSO for about 2.5 years now. Let me know if you are still interested in coming to Greensboro and I will definitely tell you whatever you would like to know.
~Crystal
GSO "used" to be a GREAT place to work. Everybody got along and we had a GREAT MANAGER, in comparison (Short), which made all the difference. But, about 4 years ago we got a new manager and he is a first class arrogant, pompous arsshole.... PRICK!!! And, if he ever sees this he will probably smile and take pride in that and that, sadly, pretty much says it all.

He single handedly has destroyed all the great morale that was at GSO. I hate it for the new people because they think this is the way it, the FAA, is supposed to be... when in fact, it used to be a lot better!! Within the first few months he had over 30 grievances filed on him specifically. I doubt, even after all these years, he could even call all us by name!! He just doesn't care enough, even to attempt to make this small gesture. That would be to demeaning to his pompous stature.

He is the atypical "us against them", FAA management against controllers. Not a good environment to have to work in day in day out!
Even the supervisors can't stand him! No doubt, since a couple have tried to bid out, to promote their careers,not to mention more money, only to be denied by him... wouldn't release them! I thought we were all on the same team.. that is..trying to separate airplanes, and to try and work together, but not this clown. He relishes in the fact that he is "in charge."

Maybe if he ever retires we can get a good manager again, but until then I wouldn't suggest this place... sadly! Because it has been a great place in the past!!

Again, GSO used to be a great place to work. Most everybody got along and was a great environment. But not now, and that is primarily because of the PRICK that is the manager now!!!

cdegan

Newcomer
Mar 17, 2015
ACY Rapcon
GSO recently had a bid out. I attempted to contact the ATM several times to discuss my ART 60 bid package. The office does not answer the telephone when you call & no calls were returned. I found this to be interesting. Spoke to the rep there as well. Seems like a nice guy. I hope to FDT there in a bit but I am having a heck of a time getting in touch with the facility to schedule it. Calling the tracon seems to be the only way to get in touch with someone.

BadPassportPhoto

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2011
ZTL
I'm at ZTL in the area over GSO. There's a guy there that sounds like me. Every time I hear him on the shoutlines it creeps me out.

FL_CTI

Trusted Member
Oct 8, 2009
Colorado
Anyone have any luck recently getting in touch with GSO? My ATM tried calling theirs, but never received a call back. I never got a call back from the supe or the FacRep. What's going on there?