Has Anyone Done Advanced ATC?

freakfly23

Rookie
Aug 28, 2014
I washed out of the faa in 2014. I just turned 35 and was told that my tol is no longer valid. I'm aged out now, right?

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
You would need to have prior exp (52 weeks post certification) to qualify and need to be hired by your 36th bday. If you were thinking about doing AATC, you could still work federal contract after you get some time under your belt.

freakfly23

Rookie
Aug 28, 2014
I'm starting AATC next month. My birthday is in November (I like single malts if you don't have gift ideas). I will be done with AATC in December 2018. I will be 36 in November 2018. That means that I'm out of time for the FAA, right? Is it possible to get a TOL before I finish AATC to stop the clock and still get in or must I actually be hired before I turn 36? Thank you to everyone who is replying. The rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Correct, you won't make the cutoff for the FAA. The time at AATC wouldn't count toward that anyways, as you need a facility rating (CTO or approach qualification) for 52 weeks and you won't get that while going through the program. You will need to secure a position there or at another tower after completing the program to start the clock for the time federal contract towers want you to have. Time varies depending on where you want to live and which contractor has the area.

Reactions: dominipino

freakfly23

Rookie
Aug 28, 2014
These are the little details that I'm trying to figure out. The way they sell it, you do three months of academics and then three months to check out in the tower. After that, you do 6 months in the simulator while maintaining proficiency in the tower. Then you take your CTO checkride. So, the 52 weeks won't start until after that?

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Well, the 52 weeks thing for the FAA doesn’t matter at this point bc you will be too old. The big 3 federal contract companies have different time requirements before you can work for them. Keep in mind these times are POST CTO, so the clock doesn’t start until an FAA official writes out the documentation the day you get certified and maintain that currency. Depending on where you want to live, it roughly breaks down like this: Serco has the towers in the western portion of the US. The eastern boundary for them is AZ-CO-WY-MT. RVA has the south central/eastern portion. NM-OK-AR-TN-VA or NC and south of that line. Midwest atc has the rest from what I remember. Serco and Midwest I believe only require 6 months post cto and rva is 2 years. Rva tends to pay the best vs cost of living. While it’s good information to be thinking about now, focus on getting through the training there and securing a job with them at another tower to gain experience. I’m a little biased since I worked there, but try to get GYI after you’re done in Valdosta. The type of traffic you see there will really build a solid foundation for any place you go after. I think they recently got a portion of their parallel paved too so that would add to the fun.

NayNay

Newcomer
Feb 27, 2018
Any recent grads of this school?? Is it worth it? Trying to not put my eggs in one basket by just waiting for an FAA OTS bid

boots

Jan 6, 2017
Any recent grads of this school?? Is it worth it? Trying to not put my eggs in one basket by just waiting in the FAA OTS bid
What would a OTS bid do for you? Your only hope now is getting a CTO and a year of experience if you washed out of the academy.

NayNay

Newcomer
Feb 27, 2018
strange that you would even look, but anyway, besides the point. I asked if anyone had any Information on Advanced ATC and what their thoughts were. If you could help, that’s great.!

boots

Jan 6, 2017
strange that you would even look, but anyway, besides the point. I asked if anyone had any Information on Advanced ATC and what their thoughts were. If you could help, that’s great.!
Right , that was my original advice. You are still ok with doing one of these programs and getting a CTO and getting your experience that way.

NayNay

Newcomer
Feb 27, 2018
No, I know. have you done it? Thanks for the advice. It’s A LOT of money, so wanted to talk to someone that went through it, see how easy it was to get a job with a contract tower, etc etc

boots

Jan 6, 2017
No, I know. have you done it? Thanks for the advice. It’s A LOT of money, so wanted to talk to someone that went through it, see how easy it was to get a job with a contract tower, etc etc
I thought they tried to place you in one of their towers after finishing.

freakfly23

Rookie
Aug 28, 2014
Ok, I have now completed the program and have my CTO from Valdosta regional. I am also an employee splitting my time between teaching basic info at the school to new students and working solo at the tower. The program is what you make of it. We have a few students who paid their money and rarely show up and/or don't study. Others work their butt off and do well. Call Monica Cunningham at 866-938-0398 to have specific questions answered and schedule a tour. Even if you are not offered a job by the school, you get your 6 months proficiency time post CTO which allows you to apply to the contractors. This path allows you to take control of your career path rather than wait on the FAA and hope for the best. Let me know what other questions you have.

Reactions: dominipino

dominipino

Mar 27, 2012
Pensacola, FL
I don’t know them personally, but Serco hired two controllers from your school at IWA a few years back. It was before I went there and from what the guys told me they were great. Good luck with your career!

Ok, I have now completed the program and have my CTO from Valdosta regional. I am also an employee splitting my time between teaching basic info at the school to new students and working solo at the tower. The program is what you make of it. We have a few students who paid their money and rarely show up and/or don't study. Others work their butt off and do well. Call Monica Cunningham at 866-938-0398 to have specific questions answered and schedule a tour. Even if you are not offered a job by the school, you get your 6 months proficiency time post CTO which allows you to apply to the contractors. This path allows you to take control of your career path rather than wait on the FAA and hope for the best. Let me know what other questions you have.