Hawaii

Chuck3too3

Rookie
Jun 17, 2008
Im a DOD controller and my wife is in the military. She is going to get orders soon from out current location to HawaiI (we think). The FAA takes too long. Anybody no any contract oppurtunities for Hawaii?

cailin

Newcomer
Jun 15, 2008
Hey there, Serco have a tower out there. Good company to work for...i'd say they're the best of the contract world.

m2thakizzle

Oct 21, 2008
Isn't Hickam AFB DOD? Might be tough to get a slot, I'm sure you've already checked, just throwin that out there.

coopfam91

Newcomer
Dec 28, 2008
Honolulu, HI
Currently a controller at PHNG (MCAS Kaneohe), SERCO has 2 towers. 1 in Kona (big island) and Lihue (Kaui). Hickam/PHNL is FAA (Tower, TRACON and Center). DOD towers are PHNG (Kaneohe/USMC, USN), Kalaeloa (Barbers Pt/Airforce) and Wheeler AAF (Army) on Oahu.

TBird55

Rookie
Jul 14, 2009
Hey there, Serco have a tower out there. Good company to work for...i'd say they're the best of the contract world.
Serco of present is in this controllers opinion more concerned with the share holders, profits, and the bottom line than in providing service to the flying public. They have cut staffing in facilities, have done away with sick leave, unless you can afford to loose money you come to work sick, this has implications involving safety for everyone. There are other issues as well that is evident by the recent number of Serco towers that are seeking Union representation.

SteveH85396

Newcomer
Dec 14, 2009
Serco of present is in this controllers opinion more concerned with the share holders, profits, and the bottom line than in providing service to the flying public. They have cut staffing in facilities, have done away with sick leave, unless you can afford to loose money you come to work sick, this has implications involving safety for everyone. There are other issues as well that is evident by the recent number of Serco towers that are seeking Union representation.
Serco has not "done away with sick leave". If anything they made it easier to use. Serco is the only contract tower employer to provide sick leave. The call it "personal time" now.

What they did was to fund it out of your fringe benefits. If you do not use it then they deposit the money into your 401K account when they zero you out. This gives you an incentive not to abuse your sick/personal leave. If you can afford it-take it, if you're more worried with the bottom line of your 401K account-don't.

And yes, I work for Serco.

Steve Heywood
Buckeye, AZ

Interesting take on this... I have nothing against "personal days" and see how they could be a good benefit. For families who need to use personal time, I DO see this as a possible win-win since they can choose to take the days and give up the money when they need to and the idea that they can be "planned" ahead of time, so as not to disrupt the schedules of fellow controllers is a plus.

However, I have concerns that as applied to "sick leave", this may not be such a good policy. It appears the bottom line incentive could still be to come to work while sick, which has the potential to: 1.) interfere with controller performance and possibly affect safety, and 2.) pass on the illness to everyone else in the tower. If you are lucky enough to NOT get sick, then great, you win — you get YOUR OWN money back for not being sick! However, if you DO get sick, then you are in a bit of a conundrum — and so are your fellow controllers who have to work with you.

While these "personal days", with their added flexibility, may be convenient, especially for families, and may be welcome to many controllers, it is not by DOL definition "sick leave" — which is why Serco calls it "Personal Leave". Also, the way this accrues means that you better not get sick for the first three months, and then only for one day until you have worked another 3 months and accrued your next day.

I also question how easy it would be to "abuse" sick leave with a minimal 5 days per year that does not carry over to the next. While it is true in any job there will often be a few slackers who probably should not be working there, it has honestly been my personal experience (in over 30 years) that professional, reputable and experienced controllers are NOT "abusing" sick leave. If anything, many of them coming out of the FAA program have years of accumulated sick leave that they either apply to retirement or generously give away to others who need it.

It's helpful to have open discussion of these issues and hear various experiences and opinions since regardless of whether it's FAA, Serco, DOD, RVA or Midwest, controllers serve the same public and hope for the best working conditions possible.

SteveH85396

Newcomer
Dec 14, 2009
I also question how easy it would be to "abuse" sick leave with a minimal 5 days per year that does not carry over to the next. While it is true in any job there will often be a few slackers who probably should not be working there, it has honestly been my personal experience (in over 30 years) that professional, reputable and experienced controllers are NOT "abusing" sick leave. If anything, many of them coming out of the FAA program have years of accumulated sick leave that they either apply to retirement or generously give away to others who need it.
I much prefer Serco's current policy regarding sick/personal time. It is no longer "use or loose". If I chose to use it then it's my lose, if not then the money gets deposited in my 401K. When you work in a facility with only 5 controllers and a manager you either take your personal time with you co-workers/managers approval or you take it as actual sick leave when you cannot come in.

Trust me, FAA controllers regulary abuse sick leave. I'm not saying that all FAA controllers do this, but it is done, BTDT! In some facilities it is nearly impossible to get "spot leave", as in "Can I take this Saturday off". So you either schedule it well in advance (not really spot leave), you ask for it hoping that based on the numbers your request will be approved, or you call in sick.

As for accumulating "years" of sick leave, cannot be done. A work year is approximately 2080 hours. If you NEVER take any sick leave for 25 years you would have 2600 hours or 1.25 years.

Steve Heywood
Buckeye, AZ

upurs81

Rookie
Apr 27, 2010
Hey Steve,

Do you really work for Serco, If so, maybe you are part of the problem???

You need to go a few memo's back and read their new and improved version of what use to be sick leave. Guess what, you have no sick leave! They out and out lied to your silly ass and made you believe you still had some and evidently in your case they were successful.

The new policy lets you pay for your own so called "Personnal Day Leave" which they take out of your money from your fringe benefits. You get to accrue it until your anniversary date, then they give it back to you without even paying you any interest. If you are stupid enough to use it instead of your vacation time, then you don't get any of it back before starting all over again from square one. And here's a flash...it does not go into your 401k when they pay it out.

Once again Steve, YOU HAVE NO SICK LEAVE!!!

:bs:

EFC

Dec 24, 2008
On a Van by the Sea
So, let me try to understand this sick leave issue.

Serco used to give its controllers 40hrs, approximately $1000.00 (before taxes), of sick time, out of their own pocket, every year. This sick leave was on a "use or loose" basis.

With the new contract, Serco does not give you this leave anymore, but they allow you to purchase sick leave from your Health & Welfare benefits at a rate of 1.54 hrs per pay period, which translates to 40 hours per year. At the end of the year, if there is a positive cash balance on the account it will be refunded to you.

Instead, you suggest that we join a union that claims to be the #1 representative of contract towers when they represent 17 towers out of 265 towers in the FCT program and NATCA represent over 30 towers in the same program, pay them approximately $700.00 year, for no benefit at all.

A similar type of sick leave program (you purchase your sick leave) has been in use by RVA for over 10 years and none of the unions have been able to repel it. Why do you think now PATCO has the power to do it?

Let me make you a suggestion: Save your $700.00 dollars of union fees in a sick leave account. At the end of the year you will have approximately $1000.00 in the sick leave account, if none were used. You will receive a check from Serco for approximately $700.00 after taxes were deducted. Take this check and deposit this amount into an IRA account at your local bank. You will be able to use this IRA deposit/investment as a deduction from your taxable income, and will came way ahead.

mtlatc

Epic Member
Oct 17, 2008
In a bus down by the river!
Why should you pay for a benefit that has been given to most americans during their entire career. PATCO has negotiated "Employer Paid Sick-leave" and will continue to work towards the removal of "Fire-At-Will" and increased benefits. Two hours pay per month for dues is really a bargain. Sick leave is only a single issue, and you should not have to pay for it!

Frank Sepulveda
EXCEPT---Most Americans are not "contract workers"

Edit: Frank will you please list all of the facilities that PATCO has negotiated "Employer Paid Sick-leave" -- Thanks in advance.

Bravejango

Oct 20, 2009
Mustang, OK
seeing as how your organization convinced thousands of controllers to walk out on their jobs in 1981 under the promise that they wouldn't get fired and that you had the funds to cover their salaries during the strike and in both aspects your organization lied to controllers i dont see how anyone could want you to represent them. also i would like to know how have gotten anything done in only 4 years that you have been re-certified as a union? you have left a bad taste in a lot of americans mouths more then you will ever be able to make up for. i feel really sad for anyone you have been able to convince to work with you again and my guess is they haven't really looked into what you did to 12000 controllers back in 1981 and i hope someday real soon they do find out and drop your organization like a bad habit. the day patco does anything to help someone else instead of using it as a way to line their own pocket books is the day the world stops turning.

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
Wow,

I do not really support one Union over the other ( PATCO vs NATCA ) but I will simply just point out that the lowest paid clerk in any federal office gets paid sick and vacation leave... by voting in a Union your employer can no longer change your benefits without negotiating with your Union.

You can also vote out your union if you no longer feel that they represent your best interests.

You can also strike (unlike the FAA) if you feel that your employer is no longer bargaining reasonably. I think every controller deserves the basics of what the lowest paid federal emplyees get in benefits and working conditions.....if people raise the issue enough then maybe voters (like myself) would wonder why our tax dollars pay such worthless companies to treat people that ensure our safety so horribly.

I hope that every employer would treat their employees well enough that the employees would not want a third party to represent them. I also think it is foolish to not stand up when what is being done to a few will harm the rest of us.

Michael

EFC

Dec 24, 2008
On a Van by the Sea
You can also strike (unlike the FAA) if you feel that your employer is no longer bargaining reasonably.
You are wrong on this issue. I have a copy of the current bargaining agreement PATCO has with Midwest and RVA. In both of then, PATCO has agreed to a NO-STRIKE clause. You do NOT have that right!!!!