Headed to OKC End of July Need Some Clarity

bassakward

Newcomer
Jun 20, 2014
hey everyone,

I apologize for beating a dead horse with the pay questions but I am still confused on what to expect while at the academy. I have not gotten a FOL yet, but have received a tentative class date for August 1st with the FOL "coming soon"

I got picked up on the Janurary 2013 VRA announcement and have a couple questions.

What can I expect as a rough estimate for a salary as a VRA student?

Is the Per Diem included in the salary or is it added to the salary separately?

Will I receive any locality pay while at the academy on top of the salary?

I'm just trying to get the ducks in a row before the family and I move cross country to OKC. Thanks for the help!

TEKYLLA

Nov 14, 2008
NC
Can't answer all of it...per diem is separate, and you'll get the locality from the facility you are going to. I'm going to ZSE so I'll get 21.8% locality...

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
I'm pretty sure VRA hires get AG pay whilst at the academy, which is around 37-40k.

Per diem is low-mid 90's/day.

You get the locality % of whatever facility you are slated for.

accraft

Senior Analyst
Feb 20, 2011
Oxnard, CA
You get your first per diam 15 days after check in. I was a Vet at the Academy and got AG pay, with Locality from ZOA and I was getting about 50k a year, not including Per Diem. After taxes I was getting about 1200 every two weeks. CTI students were making about 800 every two weeks not including per diam. Its 52.20 a day for housing and 41 a day for food. first time you put in is 15 days after check in, after that its every 30 days you are at the academy.

Aferggy

Trusted Contributor
Feb 8, 2014
TimbucTOOOOOO
You get your first per diam 15 days after check in. I was a Vet at the Academy and got AG pay, with Locality from ZOA and I was getting about 50k a year, not including Per Diem. After taxes I was getting about 1200 every two weeks. CTI students were making about 800 every two weeks not including per diam. Its 52.20 a day for housing and 41 a day for food. first time you put in is 15 days after check in, after that its every 30 days you are at the academy.
Are you a prior military controller?

bassakward

Newcomer
Jun 20, 2014
Thank you.
Finally heard back from my rep and you we're correct.
37k plus your facility locality and also perdiem.

usaftmomike

Mar 10, 2014
Anchorage, AK
So I am curious, those hired off this recent Feb bid are going to miss out on locality % since a facility will not be assigned until after graduating or will they receive locality % based on OKC? Anyone have any idea?

Aferggy

Trusted Contributor
Feb 8, 2014
TimbucTOOOOOO
So I am curious, those hired off this recent Feb bid are going to miss out on locality pay or will they receive locality pay based on OKC or will they get backpay once a facility is assigned at the end of graduating the academy? Anyone have any idea?
I believe that those individuals will only receive base pay + per diem. No locality.

Taken from the Announcement...

$20,527.00 to $27,942.00 / Per Year
This salary includes locality pay which will be applicable while attending the FAA ATC Academy.

Upon successful completion of the Academy initial training program & other employment requirements, newly hired ATCS will be offered a permanent appointment at an FAA facility with a basic salary of $37,441, plus applicable locality pay based on facility assignment. Applicants with prior ATC experience will have their salary set in accordance with the ATCS Collective Bargaining Agreement, upon conversion.

ATCS's will be paid long term expense rate (per diem) for Oklahoma City, OK to help offset daily cost of living while attending FAA Academy. FAA will pay for cost of travel in accordance with applicable agency policy. As an ATCS you will receive pay increases as you successfully complete the progressive phases of controller training at your assigned facility.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
So I am curious, those hired off this recent Feb bid are going to miss out on locality % since a facility will not be assigned until after graduating or will they receive locality % based on OKC? Anyone have any idea?
That's a good question. They'll probably go with 14.16% since that is, I believe, what most facilities are anyways.

gablephillip

Trusted Member
Oct 18, 2012
Atlanta, GA
I believe that those individuals will only receive base pay + per diem. No locality.

Taken from the Announcement...

$20,527.00 to $27,942.00 / Per Year
This salary includes locality pay which will be applicable while attending the FAA ATC Academy.

Upon successful completion of the Academy initial training program & other employment requirements, newly hired ATCS will be offered a permanent appointment at an FAA facility with a basic salary of $37,441, plus applicable locality pay based on facility assignment. Applicants with prior ATC experience will have their salary set in accordance with the ATCS Collective Bargaining Agreement, upon conversion.

ATCS's will be paid long term expense rate (per diem) for Oklahoma City, OK to help offset daily cost of living while attending FAA Academy. FAA will pay for cost of travel in accordance with applicable agency policy. As an ATCS you will receive pay increases as you successfully complete the progressive phases of controller training at your assigned facility.
So no 14.16%...bummer :/

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
As for the locality... You get the standard rate, which is 14.16%. That amount is already added into the pay they quoted you on your offer letter.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Your number is correct, buy that's for short term travel. At the academy you are considered long term. The fixed rate/long term per diem will be $93.80, the break down comes to $52.20 for lodging and $41.60 for Meals.