Hello from Boston

atp2atc

Feb 2, 2009
Boston, MA
Hi, I've visited stuck mic for some time and have finally decided to join. For the last year i worked as an airline pilot and made the decision to switch to the atc side. I've applied to pubnat7 and now i'm just waiting to hear about the AT-SAT. Just wanted to say and hi and see if theres anyone on here from the Boston area or who is making the same career change.

Edward

Rookie
Jan 5, 2009
RI
Hello and welcome. I am from Rhode Island and I applied to the first announcement. I am heading to the academy in April and then heading to BOS TWR. Good luck!
-Ed

A

Adam

Welcome to StuckMic, be sure to get some use out of the pilot forums...there isn't much in there now, but hopefully that will eventually start to fill up....if you need anything, let me know!

atp2atc

Feb 2, 2009
Boston, MA
Thanks for the replies,
congrats Ed and mrbucket on getting those positions. I live in Malden which is about a 15minute ride to logan from my house so bos would be perfect, i also want zbw. How difficult is boston tower or pvd to get? I'll take anything in the new england area pretty much.

Edward

Rookie
Jan 5, 2009
RI
Thanks for the replies,
congrats Ed and mrbucket on getting those positions. I live in Malden which is about a 15minute ride to logan from my house so bos would be perfect, i also want zbw. How difficult is boston tower or pvd to get? I'll take anything in the new england area pretty much.
The only difficulty involved is the amount of slots they have to fill. The bigger the facility, the more slots available, the better chance of getting what you want. The process is simple...they pick your name and then look to see where you want to go. If there is a slot available you will be offered that position.
A good example is me and MrBucket. I live in RI, wanted PVD and got BOS. He lives is MA, wanted BOS and got PVD. I was part of the first announcement and he was part of the second, but I guess PVD didn't have any slots at the time my name was selected (they only get so many per quarter). It is luck of the draw.
You can take a chance and just put down one location (although, I wouldn't take that chance).

Now that I have had time to absorb it, I am very happy with the BOS offer and although I was worried about the level at first, I think it will be a good facility to be at for the long term.

-Ed

SoCal_ATCer

Jan 6, 2009
So Cal
Good luck Bostonians. Boston is a beautiful city. I lived in Portland, ME for about a year and spent some time in Boston when visitors came to town. The history is AWESOME. Would like to make it back there if possible. No bids though.

iceman3205

Newcomer
Dec 3, 2008
Welcome atp2atc,

I'm from Weymouth and heading to Cape TRACON. I also was hoping for BOS, but after I got my tentative offer I visited the Cape and it looks like a great facility, also after a few years, you can request a transfer. Like they've said the facility selections is all about timing, good luck.

MrBucket

Newcomer
Oct 9, 2008
Mass
www.myspace.com
WOW! You're the first person Ive seen going to Cape TRACON. Are you from pub2?
I was secretly hoping to get that kinda, just because its like 5 minutes from my house. Hahaha. :p I talked to a guy who works there a while back, and he said its a really great place to work.

I don't think PVD or BOS are tooooooooo hard to get into, but theres really no way to tell. I got in pretty easily, so thats gotta mean something! hehehe.
I do know that PVD has an announcement up on USAJOBS right now looking for 4 CPCs...

Back in the beginning I was desperately hoping for BOS, yes, but I eventually came to my senses.
I decided to hope for either PVD or Cape TRACON. I got lucky in my hoping. ;)

alpar80

Newcomer
Feb 3, 2009
I am a cape pilot applied to pub7 and from south of boston. How long did it tke them to offer you a test date? I applied DEC 9 and havent heard anything yet, I know its the govt however, I am anxious. I relly look forward to going this route with my career. Any insight on how long to wait?

iceman3205

Newcomer
Dec 3, 2008
MrBucket,

yeah i'm pubnat2, i'm waiting for my security clearance, and then hopefully get a class before summer. I toured the cape last month, everyone seems really nice, I like the fact they aren't 24/7 so no midnight shift and they only have 24 controllers.

where are you in the process, are you pubnat2 ?

iceman3205

Newcomer
Dec 3, 2008

MrBucket

Newcomer
Oct 9, 2008
Mass
www.myspace.com
MrBucket,

yeah i'm pubnat2, i'm waiting for my security clearance, and then hopefully get a class before summer. I toured the cape last month, everyone seems really nice, I like the fact they aren't 24/7 so no midnight shift and they only have 24 controllers.

where are you in the process, are you pubnat2 ?
Very cool.

Yeah, Im from pub2 also. My HR rep assigned me a class date of March 31, but has not gotten around to sending me my FOL yet. Ive been bugging her for weeks, but she says shes still working on the February FOLs. ???
Copy/paste my name, and click send already.

Not being open 24 hours was another reason I liked that place. PVD closes at midnight, and opens at 5. Score!

DonStevo

Newcomer
Mar 29, 2009
Lafayette, Louisiana
I am hoping for BOS or ZBW, if not, then Texas here I come (sarcastic "yay")...

If I get something in the Boston area, I may need your help... I found that Malden and Melrose seem to be the best places to raise a family and I have a 2 year old and a 4 week old.... I just hope the ATC salaries is enough for us to live in MA!

lazerr11

Aug 28, 2008
Kingston, NH
I am hoping for BOS or ZBW, if not, then Texas here I come (sarcastic "yay")...

If I get something in the Boston area, I may need your help... I found that Malden and Melrose seem to be the best places to raise a family and I have a 2 year old and a 4 week old.... I just hope the ATC salaries is enough for us to live in MA!
Those two places are close to the airport if you get Logan, but if you don't mind driving an extra 20 min (with the rotating shifts you really never hit bad traffic), or more north or west you can find even better places to live. Try not to live south of the city because then you have to fight the traffic coming through and that's miserable. Plus if you get BCT or the center you will want to live in NH as there is no income tax, not to mention the fact they are both in southern NH anyways...