HELP

Gdluc

Newcomer
Apr 25, 2018
I guess my friend who helped me through this process was misinformed. When I leave for my class starting June 7th I do not return home? I thought after classes you had a few weeks to relocate. So I have to sell my house in the next 4 weeks? Find an apt for my fiance, put my stuff in storage? Then how do you move if you report directly to a facility. Something seems off here.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
I guess my friend who helped me through this process was misinformed. When I leave for my class starting June 7th I do not return home? I thought after classes you had a few weeks to relocate. So I have to sell my house in the next 4 weeks? Find an apt for my fiance, put my stuff in storage? Then how do you move if you report directly to a facility. Something seems off here.
You will get a travel day or two from the Academy to your facility, depending upon how far your facility is from Oklahoma. You also will get 64 hours of change of station leave which can be used at any time, with management's approval. You definitely do not get a few weeks off and most people do not return home. Selling your house is a risk because what happens if you fail the Academy?

Gdluc

Newcomer
Apr 25, 2018
Right.....but if I don't sell it....and do pass.....now I've got a fiance and a house full of belongings possibly across the country. I'm really confused. Guess I need to dig through these forms and figure out how or if I can do this

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
Right.....but if I don't sell it....and do pass.....now I've got a fiance and a house full of belongings possibly across the country. I'm really confused. Guess I need to dig through these forms and figure out how or if I can do this
Thousands of people before you have done it, so clearly it is possible. You need to figure out what works for you. Pack now, pack later, pay people to pack... Lots of choices

Gdluc

Newcomer
Apr 25, 2018
I understand. But thousand of people were content not knowing any of this ahead of time? Literally the only reason I found this out was I asked hr what the next 3or 4 steps were. Based on all the information I've received about the position I was going to five weeks of school that was a pass-fail situation. Then from there I figured we were provided with more information. Mind you I'm 31 years old working a job that I'm at 90 hours a week I haven't had time to research it on my own I thought information would be provided

MissChief

Rookie
Nov 8, 2016
I understand. But thousand of people were content not knowing any of this ahead of time? Literally the only reason I found this out was I asked hr what the next 3or 4 steps were. Based on all the information I've received about the position I was going to five weeks of school that was a pass-fail situation. Then from there I figured we were provided with more information. Mind you I'm 31 years old working a job that I'm at 90 hours a week I haven't had time to research it on my own I thought information would be provided
So actually, you're going to be in class for 16 weeks in OKC for the en route specialty, then you'll move to your new facility..

bayoumudd92

Oct 25, 2016
Stockton, CA
This guy is so lost lol. Sorry man. I suggest holding on to the house. Find someone to rent it family or friend. Also plan on renting for the first few months where ever you go. Perhaps just plan on getting a property management company to rent out your house on a one year lease and sell if for more next year. There’s obvious risk no matter what way you go.

Gdluc

Newcomer
Apr 25, 2018
I guess what I'm wondering.....is if I hadn't pryed this info out of the HR lady I would never known. How does everyone know all this info before going. I woulda been in a world of hurt. Literally today was the first time I had more than 9 hours off work since Feb.

GulfCharlie

Epic Member
Sep 1, 2011
I guess what I'm wondering.....is if I hadn't pryed this info out of the HR lady I would never known. How does everyone know all this info before going. I woulda been in a world of hurt. Literally today was the first time I had more than 9 hours off work since Feb.
You roll with the punches. Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Most people don't own a house when they go through the Academy. For them it's a simple matter of ending the lease.
Is there anything in your FOL that mentions what happens after successful completion of the Academy? In my FOL from 2010 is this:
You will be granted one workday for travel to your assigned facility upon successful completion of FAA
Academy training. You are not authorized payment of moving expenses.
Now the process is a little different where your assigned facility determines how many travel days you get. It's as little as 1 for Fort Worth to as many as 9 for Anchorage. And then you have 8 work days of Change of Station leave that'll get approved.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Based on all the information I've received about the position I was going to five weeks of school that was a pass-fail situation.
Basics is 4-5 weeks by itself. Then after that (you need a 70% to pass) is the Enroute class that's 3 months (also need a 70% to pass.) All told it's 4 months in OKC.

Gdluc

Newcomer
Apr 25, 2018
I'm getting mixed feelings from y'all. Haha. Some seem to think I'm crazy. Some seem to see what I'm asking but dealt with it. I appreciate all the input but if what stinger says is correct I could get stationed in Anchorage and have 17. Days max to find a place to live, and move my fiance and 3 dogs with all of the contents to Anchorage.(just one scenario obviously). Maybe someone has a horror story they can share and how it worked out?

ambers1032

Senior Analyst
Jan 5, 2010
If you want a job with a six figure pension you make sacrifices. Your choice. Nobody is pushing you. 20k other people want you spot. Everyone in the agency went through it just fine.

BAS92

Rookie
Dec 30, 2017
I'm getting mixed feelings from y'all. Haha. Some seem to think I'm crazy. Some seem to see what I'm asking but dealt with it. I appreciate all the input but if what stinger says is correct I could get stationed in Anchorage and have 17. Days max to find a place to live, and move my fiance and 3 dogs with all of the contents to Anchorage.(just one scenario obviously). Maybe someone has a horror story they can share and how it worked out?
Just the way it is. They want you at your facility ASAP. Think of it this way, no matter what your circumstances are, the quicker you get to your facility, the sooner your seniority starts. I’ll be hauling my ass as quick as I can go wherever I go.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
Just the way it is. They want you at your facility ASAP. Think of it this way, no matter what your circumstances are, the quicker you get to your facility, the sooner your seniority starts. I’ll be hauling my ass as quick as I can go wherever I go.
Your seniority starts the day you're assigned to the facility. It doesn't matter if you're actually in the building or not.

twn

Nov 7, 2012
I literally just went through this last fall. I refused to put my house up for sale until I knew I passed. Once I placed, I listed my house and moved to my new facility. Couldn't afford a mortgage payment and a rent payment so I airbnb'd for a month until I got settled. If this career is worth it to you, make sacrifices, do what it takes to make it happen. There are thousands of people waiting to take your spot.

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
You can easily have a couple weeks off. 8 change of station days. 1-3 travel days. PTO (4 days). Weekends don’t count. And then you can ask for additional unpaid time and if they aren’t waiting for you to get into a class they will probably approve it.

Gdluc

Newcomer
Apr 25, 2018
Thanks all. Lots to think on. I make 6 fugures now, it's not about the money anymore.