Highest Paying/Best QOL Overseas Contract Towers

goblue06

Newcomer
Jan 4, 2016
As the title suggests, which locations are the highest paying/best quality of life overseas contract Towers? There's currently job openings for:

Herat, Afghanistan
Jalalabad, Afghanistan
Al Asad, Iraq
and
Kabul, Afghanistan

There are other facilities that open up from time to time, just wondering what every ones thoughts/experiences on this region are. I know there are also multiple contract companies, which one seems to treat their people the best (pay, leave, management, etc.)? Any companies to avoid like the plague?

Any input is welcome.

goblue06

Newcomer
Jan 4, 2016
Currently Active Duty USAF with a couple deployments under my belt, so I'm somewhat familiar with low QOL overseas places. I know they are all low quality of life standards compared to the states, but I was thinking along the lines of amenities. Examples I've heard are some places they make you live off post, which would make it considerably lower quality of life because of constant dangers. Maybe some spots don't have gyms, or some spots don't have great wifi/cell service; maybe some places don't have A/C or living quarters are just garbage. Those are just some quick examples, but that was my train of thought when I posted this. Trying to spot the bad apples/good apples before I apply, if possible.

goblue06

Newcomer
Jan 4, 2016
Any reasoning for the that order? Pay, QOL, traffic load, etc.? Just looking to get a little insight on places I might soon be applying to.

Navyskycop

Newcomer
Jun 26, 2011
I'm not sure how familiar you are with hiring for these jobs, but cliff notes... Openings are where they are, so aiming for a particular place may take some time. You also need to network to be competitive. The companies take all resumes and add you to the database. You will rise to the top much quicker if you know folks at a given facility and they 'vouch' for you. There are still more candidates than jobs at any given time. Did I mention network, network, network. You should strive to have contacts with all the companies.

Skykid91

Rookie
Jun 1, 2018
Currently Active Duty USAF with a couple deployments under my belt, so I'm somewhat familiar with low QOL overseas places. I know they are all low quality of life standards compared to the states, but I was thinking along the lines of amenities. Examples I've heard are some places they make you live off post, which would make it considerably lower quality of life because of constant dangers. Maybe some spots don't have gyms, or some spots don't have great wifi/cell service; maybe some places don't have A/C or living quarters are just garbage. Those are just some quick examples, but that was my train of thought when I posted this. Trying to spot the bad apples/good apples before I apply, if possible.
I'm 27 and a CTI grad. Would you recommend me joining my states National Guard in ATC?

JayTango

Feb 21, 2016
I'm 27 and a CTI grad. Would you recommend me joining my states National Guard in ATC?
To apply for the FAA or open yourself up to contracting?
For just straight to the FAA, I wouldn’t.. as long as they have OTS bids then you’ll have your chance.
For contracting/DoD then yeah it’ll help because they’re looking for prior experience. I’m not sure how being Guard and having that commitment and starting up with the FAA would work.. also if you’re prior experience getting into the FAA through the experienced bid then you won’t have to take the ATSA and would go direct to your facility.

JayDoubleU

Newcomer
Dec 27, 2019
As the title suggests, which locations are the highest paying/best quality of life overseas contract Towers? There's currently job openings for:

Herat, Afghanistan
Jalalabad, Afghanistan
Al Asad, Iraq
and
Kabul, Afghanistan

There are other facilities that open up from time to time, just wondering what every ones thoughts/experiences on this region are. I know there are also multiple contract companies, which one seems to treat their people the best (pay, leave, management, etc.)? Any companies to avoid like the plague?

Any input is welcome.
Well, I'll tell you this, I received an offer for Al Asad, Iraq recently for $70k/yr. No way no how. That number would have to be at least doubled, given the current state of things with recent the developments and things escalating over there. Gone are the days of big money overseas contracts in Iraq and Afghan (for now), and why I left last year. The consensus among controllers over there currently and in the recent past is that these companies are pocketing INSANE amounts of cash per body, and NOT passing the incentive on to prospective employees. One word. Greed.